Author Topic: Bf 110E(C-4B) Night Fighter Stab. II/NJG 1  (Read 2030 times)

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Bf 110E(C-4B) Night Fighter Stab. II/NJG 1
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 08:34:46 PM »
If you are still getting blacks that turn gray in shadows, then your black is too dark. I work with black a ton because of the German crosses on the wings. I've settled on black paint being only 85% black. It never looks off in shadows.

Let's look at my skin in the GIMP window. I also have the color selection window open so you can see where to plug in RGB numbers.

The night fighter color is the selected color in the window. You can see all the elements that make up this specific shade. It is represented by positions on 6 sliders. H is "hue", S is "saturation" and V is "value". The bottom 3 make up the RGB - red, green, and blue. Just plug in a given RGB number set into those areas and the top 3 sliders will adjust accordingly. Now pay attention to the position of the V slider. That slider moves from 0(Black) to 100(White) and can indicate just how bright a given color is.

So RLM 22 is RGB 42/41/46 and the V for that RGB is 18 - meaning 18% white
The black I use - found in the shield emblem - is RGB  38/38/38 with a V of 15.
The black in the cannon ejection chute is RGB 26/26/26 with a V of 10.
Pure black is RGB 0/0/0 and the V is also 0

It's not the Hue that eliminates the gray-out of black, but the Value. You do not want to go all black, just mostly black.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Bf 110E(C-4B) Night Fighter Stab. II/NJG 1
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 11:06:12 PM »
Excellent explanation.  Now I understand what you guys mean when you throw those numbers at me.   :rofl :aok

I've been trying to use different E values to tone down that purple hue with limited success.   My invasion stripes are particularly susceptible to the phenomenon.   It always winds up being a compromise.

Thanks for the info, sir.   :cheers: :salute
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)