Author Topic: Guns on the Navarone  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
Guns on the Navarone
« on: February 16, 2018, 07:58:41 AM »
Ok, posting it here as well. The idea is to have a fortified island that can control a key part of the map with its SB:s so that all 3 countries have to fight for control over the island. Ideally the SB would be Battleship guns instead of the 8 inchers and also be built into the mountain side so they cannot be bombed with buffs. The island can have for ex  a Flak- and a V-base so that a coordinated attack is needed to take down the AAA in order to capture it but it still hard to really defend it against an attack if the attackers work together.

The idea is that all 3 countries will have to fight for control over the island if they want to win the map and thus encourage a larger fight. The defender can sit in wirbles but it is rarely a good option against if the attackers knows what they are doing so they too will need to fly in fighters if they want to keep it.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: Guns on the Navarone
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 08:48:58 AM »
The island can have for ex  a Flak- and a V-base so that a coordinated attack is needed to take down the AAA in order to capture it but it still hard to really defend it against an attack if the attackers work together.

Or, a small group of saboteurs and a couple of beautiful resistance fighters might, just might, be able to take it.   :D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 09:08:19 AM »
Shhhh, thats a secret
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 09:14:30 AM »
funny you should mention this. on the oceania map the is a shore battery that sits high on a mountain facing the ocean, when I 1st saw it it reminded me of Guns of Navarone, it almost looked Majestic sitting there looking out at the ocean. saboteurs would have to climb by rope straight up to get to it. I don't remember what base I saw it at.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 09:16:22 AM by lunatic1 »
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 12:01:03 PM »
Sounds like a massive B-29 mission to take it down.  :aok
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 12:07:07 PM »
On Oceania most of the feilds are 19 miles apart so I had to get really creative with the shore batteries so you could not target the closest runway spawn to the sea at the next field across the slot or drop rounds into your own town or field. The reason for the mountain side SB. Spent days micro adjusting the positioning of SB's. The clover leaf islands on Oceania I setup the SB to command the center of the slot they faced. I've never asked Hitech what his limit is for shore batteries at a field, I've had complaints that amount to wanting me to place an SB one every mile or closer together surround every field. When I got deeper into the reasoning, it's the same reasoning from tank drivers. A player is alone at a field and notices a BB shelling it and he is way past the time period the BB was in the gun arc. The single player does not want to up bombers, he wants to sit in a big gun. Tank drivers in the game want spawns on elevations over fields so they can single handed de-ack, kill the VH, and drop the town.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 12:32:20 PM »
Sounds like a massive B-29 mission to take it down.  :aok
Thats why the flak base is there  :D

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 01:27:25 PM »
I have found the flak bases are not as reliable as upping a 163. That is why I didn't put any on Oceania.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 01:30:35 PM »
Or, a small group of saboteurs and a couple of beautiful resistance fighters might, just might, be able to take it.   :D

Can I be Anthony Quinn?
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 03:47:29 PM »
I got dibs on Telly Savalas, since I have a bald head.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 06:00:47 PM »
I got dibs on Telly Savalas, since I have a bald head.

Wrong movie.  He was in The Dirty Dozen, not Guns of Navarone.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 10:09:07 PM »
And Kellys Heroes

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 10:24:30 PM »
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 12:00:25 AM »
Can we also have a castle where we infiltrate,root out spys
Drive snowplow busses and cause merry havoc...
This is Broadsword calling Dannyboy..
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."