Author Topic: Skinning Ideas  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Skinning Ideas
« on: February 22, 2018, 03:26:48 PM »
Some of our aircraft and vehicles feel lonely in the skinning department. There are some with no skins...

Looking for some love is:

- Wirbelwind
- PT Boat (PT-109 anyone?)
- Ostwind
- M8
- M3
- M16
- LVT's
- Jeep

We could use winter camo's for almost all vehicles (except LVT's), desert for many, and some other naval patterns for the PT boats.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Skinning Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 12:02:08 AM »
Some of our aircraft and vehicles feel lonely in the skinning department. There are some with no skins...

Looking for some love is:

- Wirbelwind
- PT Boat (PT-109 anyone?)
- Ostwind
- M8
- M3
- M16
- LVT's
- Jeep

We could use winter camo's for almost all vehicles (except LVT's), desert for many, and some other naval patterns for the PT boats.

Wirbel and Ostwind vey few options supported by photos. PT boats I have a few. M8 not very many options there. M3 a few choices. M16 less options than M3. Jeeps a few even more if you go beyond just combat vehicles. LVT's I have photos of Winter schemes they did see combat in Europe.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 11:05:14 AM »
Wirbel and Ostwind vey few options supported by photos. PT boats I have a few. M8 not very many options there. M3 a few choices. M16 less options than M3. Jeeps a few even more if you go beyond just combat vehicles. LVT's I have photos of Winter schemes they did see combat in Europe.

- Wirbelwind/Ostwind - yeah, the one we have at CFB Borden (and restoring 100%) is just a solid olive green colour.  I have a bunch of B&W photos from my Weapons of Warfare collection - and a color drawing from the 70's series.  I have several B&W that show a solid color - similar to one on display here:

- others show a similar olive/tan mixture.

- PT Boats - yeah, there are a bunch of different color options for those.
- M-8 - similar to M16 - not a lot of pictures taken.
White M8

This one is interesting...

Hmm...more paint schemes than I imagined...

Jeeps - now that's a doozie. There are marking guidelines for the units that used Jeeps... but almost all I've seen are either tan or olive green.  I also have seen bright orange - color used for airfield use so planes won't run them over.

Here is a jeep being 'camoed' during WWII..

And we have some bored brits and canucks with their jeep. Attached a 37mm in addition to the aircooled vickers MG.

This Canadian Army Jeep had a distinctive camo appearance - from the Three Rivers Regiment, RCAC (Royal Canadian Armoured Corps),

I think this is how it looked.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 11:37:06 AM by Mister Fork »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 12:01:38 PM »
- Wirbelwind/Ostwind - yeah, the one we have at CFB Borden (and restoring 100%) is just a solid olive green colour.  I have a bunch of B&W photos from my Weapons of Warfare collection - and a color drawing from the 70's series.  I have several B&W that show a solid color - similar to one on display here:
(Image removed from quote.)
- others show a similar olive/tan mixture.
(Image removed from quote.)

The Canadian Wirbel is actually painted Panzer grey it is not original paint though. German vehicles typically were not painted with the early war paint around the era of inclusion of the Wirbel. That Ostwind is the prototype and that was sent to France and was used in combat it is actually the most photographed Ostwind of all. Other than that I think I have only seen photos of 2-3 more. The museum vehicles you have to be careful most are not showing original factory paint either.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 12:36:10 PM »
The Canadian Wirbel is actually painted Panzer grey it is not original paint though. German vehicles typically were not painted with the early war paint around the era of inclusion of the Wirbel. That Ostwind is the prototype and that was sent to France and was used in combat it is actually the most photographed Ostwind of all. Other than that I think I have only seen photos of 2-3 more. The museum vehicles you have to be careful most are not showing original factory paint either.

Makes sense. 

Now, http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com seems to have a lot of color pictures of all vehicles we're talking about AND the unit references. Maybe a start for someone who wishes to skin a few? It is the internet, but their site does use referenced materials when identifying variants and their paint schemes...so it's a good start.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:50:30 PM by Mister Fork »

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 09:59:38 AM »
Follow me Jeeps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=follow+me+jeeps+WWII&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CX0-IZcApfYVIjgmYj8_1Geg3koBT_1ZPnyzvk3BbLdJ9JE9YzTLPI2nlAiTUsJWQHoGgCERkjgoWU8VrbvFkDjlAaiCoSCSZiPz8Z6DeSETo9vH9U17SLKhIJgFP9k-fLO-QRTDFemKHGtoUqEgncFst0n0kT1hETwiTBCMpesSoSCTNMs8jaeUCJEfB6QapXLddmKhIJNSwlZAegaAIRygVPaQkCrAkqEgkRGSOChZTxWhEl-fnUqBR_1sioSCdu8WQOOUBqIEWJMztGmvs9r&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwij8q2GxL7ZAhUDSN8KHa4WDZwQ9C96BAgAEBk&biw=1536&bih=782&dpr=2.5

Captured M8's.

https://www.google.com/search?q=captured+m8%27s&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiska-Bxb7ZAhWCwVkKHUgGAR8Q_AUICygC&biw=1536&bih=782#imgrc=_

Good finds...yeah, saw those 'follow-me' jeeps. Crazy.

But what surprised me, especially when I was doing research on my last AvA setup on the final battle between the Finns and Russia, was the amount of equipment re-use the other side did of captured aircraft and tanks.  Finland especially were notorious for re-using captured tanks and turning them against their foe. Fantastic reads, especially since it seems that the Finns were better drivers and tankers in the T-34's than the Soviets were, and better pilots in the captured planes...the numbers do point that way and data is data. When you're 10-20 kills for every loss with the EXACT SAME TANK, something else has to be going on.  Crazy Finns. :D

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 11:28:13 AM »
USN jeeps were medium grey.

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song