Author Topic: I won't put another steak on the bbq ever again, unless there is no other way  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Pan fried a steak last night after watching a video on YouTube.

I had a one inch thick strip, which was well marbled and had a good bit of fat around the edges.  Not a hugely expensive one either.  I seasoned it with some black pepper and a generous sprinkling of sea salt after pouring a small amount of tempura sauce on it and coating the whole steak.  I let it stand for about 15-20 minutes.

I put some extra virgin olive oil in the pan and got it really hot.

Dropped the steak in on one side until it developed a light brown crust, the flipped it.  As the crust was developing on the other side I went and put a half stick of salted butter in the hot pan.  The butter won't burn because of the oil added previously.  Flipped it again and started to baste the steak with the bubbling oil/butter/tempura mixture, making sure it was soaking/cooking the layer of fat on the outside.  I eased off the heat slightly but not too much.

Flipped and basted for a couple of minutes.  The more basting the more flavour and evenly cooked steak.

The steak had a hard shell, like it had been deep fried.  I had cooked it to a nice medium rare, pink centered, trophy.

I paired it with a Golden Goose: A cocktail that Grey Goose vodka cooked up for a little golf tournament we are putting on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw9ORGHy_IE&feature=youtu.be

But it tastes just as good with a Bud light I suspect.

:)

Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Hi Curval. I love pan fried steaks too. Can I suggest regular olive oil instead of extra virgin? Extra virgin has a low flash point, changing the flavor and even giving off toxic smoke?

Google it and it gives you an excuse to cook up another one. :)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Mmmmmmmmm

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
I do this all the time!  I use butter and oil,the oil stops the butter from burning.

I have 2 different cast iron pans,one is ribbed and made in the skillet fashion the other is 1890's pan that is 12 inches and very well seasoned.

I like to put the meat in the freezer for about an hour before cooking and only use dry seasonings. My dad was a chef and he taught me this when I was fairly young. He said keep your place clean and learn to cook,women like that.... :aok

That said I still like to grill but when it's 20 below outside you really have to WANT to grill!

:salute

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Cast iron pan with just salt works well too.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
I do all the cooking here at my house. Wife retired years ago! While no chef I enjoy putting together a good tasty meal.

The trick with oil and butter is well known, but with "healthy" eating becoming more important..... especially as I get older...... Butter is now on the back shelf and other ways need to be found to get the most out of any cooking. Adding cream or butter is a cheat, and can kill you  :devil

Grilling is still my favorite with all kinds of dry rubs for that "flavor". Here in New England, anytime it gets above freezing I look to throw something on the grill. Pan searing works well as long as you have a good combination of a rub/marinade. Explore and experiment!

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Hi Curval. I love pan fried steaks too. Can I suggest regular olive oil instead of extra virgin? Extra virgin has a low flash point, changing the flavor and even giving off toxic smoke?

Google it and it gives you an excuse to cook up another one. :)

Noted.  :)

Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
While the OP’s method is fine nothing beats a good grilling.   That goes double for mesquite wood. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Not a thing wrong with the pan frying method, but as a westerner, nothing and I mean NOTHING compares to a steak done right over mesquite.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Yes!  That mesquite flavor.  :aok

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Misery

• Zinc Member
I can't help feeling that you just aren't grilling it right. Propane or coal?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
The reason most people can't cook on the pit is they do not control the temperature correctly. This is why it is so simple to cook on the stove in a pan or in an oven.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
i used to fry my steaks for 30 years.  once i figure out the right temperature and time on a grill, i havent gone back.  nothing beats a grilled steak.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
I do all the cooking here at my house. Wife retired years ago! While no chef I enjoy putting together a good tasty meal.

The trick with oil and butter is well known, but with "healthy" eating becoming more important..... especially as I get older...... Butter is now on the back shelf and other ways need to be found to get the most out of any cooking. Adding cream or butter is a cheat, and can kill you  :devil

Grilling is still my favorite with all kinds of dry rubs for that "flavor". Here in New England, anytime it gets above freezing I look to throw something on the grill. Pan searing works well as long as you have a good combination of a rub/marinade. Explore and experiment!
+1
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll