Author Topic: Hitech: WALL0, WALL1, WALL2, revetment0  (Read 789 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Hitech: WALL0, WALL1, WALL2, revetment0
« on: April 16, 2018, 03:37:48 PM »
Hitech,

Took a break today from my terrain to test the WALL and revetment objects as "tank terrain" enhancements for combat. Here are screen shots from the test, I made sure to place these objects about 660ft or more away from the edge of the town object. Can I use them as tank terrain combat enhancements? If I can, is it OK to set walls bellow their default elevation to make lower walls and barriers? I used the barrier object tag for the wall and revetment objects. And, how many instances of them would be OK for FPS issues?

The revetment berm is not a good choice for tanks to hole up in becasue they are locked into reversing out in a predictable direction. They are a few feet too low to use as berms to hide behind. Our tank combat style is sneak and greet. I was hoping Waffle could use the revetment object to make a revetment1 that has a rounded top a few feet higher than the top of a TigerII. Or modify revetment0 to have more base so I can elevate the existing object by up to 20ft. The cutout in the top will look crappy but, the game will have tank combat simple berms.

WALL Object testing.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Hitech: WALL0, WALL1, WALL2, revetment0
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 03:39:38 PM »
Here are the revetment objects and it's obvious it needs to be a few feet taller to be used as a hiding place.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 04:08:25 PM »
Here are the revetment objects and it's obvious it needs to be a few feet taller to be used as a hiding place.

I made a bunch of berms, but I haven't got around to submitting them yet.  The berms are one object, where most of it sits under the terrain, and just the highest points peak through.  Imagine a multi-peaked iceberg.  I have four versions of those, 660 yds square, with each version having 6 to 12 actual 'berms' as we used to know them.  So in one spawn area, you could spread four of these objects out and have 40 or so berms.  I also made three versions that you can place on a hill, but they're a lot smaller.

I'm just real busy with work, or I'd have had these out by now.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 06:23:26 PM »
I never really expected anything to come of this post or from your side. I planned incorporating micro terrain into the 6 mile area around each field with a spawn to it from the inception of my current terrain. You should actually build a whole terrain and get it into rotation like I've done twice, and this will be my third. Playing on these terrains does not make you an expert on creating them "I learned" with my first two terrains. You have to stop thinking like a player becasue that is too myopic to create a balanced three country arena that helps customers choose to create activity. That has been the ongoing argument from many who want to argue they know more about something I have done twice and they have never done. They argue being a long term player makes them an expert at AH3, while ignoring they have never built a terrain and have no expertise at not being myopic while bringing a Melee arena terrain to full term. I still get requests to somehow build my terrains to make the GV part inconsequential while making the air combat part all that matters. And the same species of demand from GVer's. Both views are myopic and won't help keep Hitech's doors open which is what I'm more concerned with. 

I have tested extensively for use on my current terrain what can be done with micro terrain complimented with the clutter tile and two terrains worth of experience. There really is no need for "micro moraines" unless your goal is a super mario brothers shootem up fantasy land for tanks like many of the competitors tiny arenas are setup for gamers to super mario brother each other in a tank. But, those arenas make our converted AH2 arenas look lame like 1990's lame. If our tank players were really going to play like they do at our competitor's tank game, Waffle built the town to give them the same kind of super mario brothers hiding and backshooting you see in all the competitor's games while looking really good. World of Tanks arenas are about the size of our town object. And that really good looking attached village on the super large airfield is larger and even more complex with more hide and back shoot opportunities. No super mario brothers style rumbles by tankers in those. That is why I placed those tank crater experiments in the center of my first two terrains, Aces High is not played like our competitors. I learned a lot about our game's GVers from those experiments. A 300ft high tree covered pedestal under each spawn is more like our GVers........   

I'm building worlds for the Melee arena where I have set the terrain to scale from micro for the tanks thru macro for the airplanes. The random hill generator algorithm in L3DT is just that, random. You can do everything L3DT can with the AH terrain editor but targeted to how you specifically choose to manipulate an area in the AH terrain editor. And you only have to touch the 6 mile diameter area around fields with spawns since that is all a tank driving player will ever see of it. So it takes relatively little time to create the micro terrain. It actually takes far more time tweaking it to balance the ability for attackers to hide and seek versus the defenders so both sides have a chance. L3DT cannot help you at that point becasue all of it has to be manipulated with the AH terrain editor. My wife still wants to buy me a copy of L3DT, not sure what I would do with it. Since my next project may be seeing if I can generate geo maps with Artik's program then cutting and pasting select parts to create worlds for the Melee arena. Then all the armchair experts can burp out terrains and only be on the hook for painting and tweeking them. Yeah, right......But, all they would have to do is pick some parts of the world they like and do a little finger painting at the meeting lines from the cut and past into a hightmap. Surely they can blend a a hundred mile line of mismatched geo features by hand to look like they always belonged together. 

If you just want to burp out something to slap some paint on and throw around objects to give players a way to get into the arena and at each other. L3DT and poof, you have something that does not look very impressive to compliment AH3 or the expectations of today's game players. But, is that really what Hitech wants after all he went through to get AH3 live? I stayed with that for two years none stop testing and saw how our old converted terrains did not compliment our new graphics engine. And that was a complaint I've read along with others.

Ask yourself why I placed these 6 mile diameter rings around each field location? They correspond to the 3 mile radius at which I place the GV spawns and at the same time define only the 6 mile diameter areas on the terrain I have to micro texture for the GVers. This is why you first build a 1:1 8pixel = 1mile blueprint and map out everything from the macro topography to the micro topography. After that, I just connect the dots and texture the surface of all the geo formations I mapped with 2Dprofiles. The micro texturing in those circles is just finger painting in sand. And who knows I may make myself obsolete with Artik's program.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 09:07:05 PM »
I never really expected anything to come of this post or from your side.

That is easily the most haughty piece of judgement I've ever read on this web site.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 12:29:36 PM »
Jinx,

With Bustr you will always be the aggressor. It doesn’t matter what you say even if the meaning is harmless and parallel to the subject.

Meh, I learned long ago that everything is considered and attack against him and what he is doing. Now I just look at his screenshots for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 01:01:16 PM »
It would be one thing if people were attacking him.  But none of us are.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 02:40:08 PM »
I know man, we have all tried to explain that to him several times... .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario