Author Topic: What About The Keyboard?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Green_Manalishi

• Zinc Member
What About The Keyboard?
« on: March 30, 2018, 08:36:01 PM »
Thinking Of Going VR. How Does One Use The Keyboard With The VR Headset On?

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
Re: What About The Keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 11:36:23 PM »
....gotta do it by feel, or take off your headset, tip it up whatever.   I have most of my key switches mapped to my throttle and stick.  Using VR does make it much harder to use the text radio too.   VR does have it's trade offs for now, but very worth it for the immersive feel, and I think it helps with some aspects of SA (but some losses here too), and helps a lot with gunnery once you get accustomed to it.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 01:11:40 AM »
there's a gap around the nose area of the Rift you can use to look through.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 04:27:44 PM »
 :aok As Kanth noted,the gap is enough to see keyboard. IF...you have too few buttons you can program,for some keyboard functions(non chat related), check out VOICE ATTACK. They offer a free 1profile with 22(or so) commands that you can run. It does take some training..IE going through Windows Voice to make sure you are understood by the App. I use it for quite alot and hasnt let me down yet :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 07:27:06 PM »
Okay, it seems I need to find that gap...actually for me, I have to lift the headset a bit to  see through that gap.....may have to fiddle with this idea a bit    :aok

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 09:07:05 PM »
I need to actively partially remove (lift) my rift to see out the space below.  It doesn't seem to position so that I can both see the lenses clearly and see out of the bottom, at least not as currently adjusted to fit me.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 11:26:25 PM »
I don't have a gap either. I just figured I have a large nose.  :banana:

I've had HOTAS for many years so really the only time I need the keyboard is when I have to type something into the text buffer. I've been trying to teach myself to touch type, as I feel that is the best solution for the problem.   :bhead

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 11:53:02 PM »
My rift strap is lower on the back of my head and then the rift itself sits a little higher up on my forehead head than would normal goggles so there's a gap.

In fact, the bottom part of the rift only barely makes contact with my skin, doesn't rest on my lower face at all. The main contact where it rests is on my forehead.

it doesn't feel right at first but the view is better wearing it like this so that's how i do it.

Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 01:29:08 AM »
 :aok
My rift strap is lower on the back of my head and then the rift itself sits a little higher up on my forehead head than would normal goggles so there's a gap.

In fact, the bottom part of the rift only barely makes contact with my skin, doesn't rest on my lower face at all. The main contact where it rests is on my forehead.

it doesn't feel right at first but the view is better wearing it like this so that's how i do it.
:aok Exactly,same here.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 07:30:15 AM »

I've had HOTAS for many years so really the only time I need the keyboard is when I have to type something into the text buffer. I've been trying to teach myself to touch type, as I feel that is the best solution for the problem.   :bhead

Sik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAVvEQvnDm0
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 09:47:10 AM »

Sik

I too, have a larger nose cone with no gap.  I have to lift the headset up and find the correct keys. 

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 01:40:31 PM »
I've gotten much better, it was a big set back at first. But now I've gotten pretty good.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Green_Manalishi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 08:46:11 AM »
Thank You All For Your Input. I Think I'll Go With The IR Tracker. The Peeking Approach Isn't For Me.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 08:57:27 AM »
 :aok TrackIR is awesome in its own rite! I loved it! You can dial that puppy right in with the curves adjustment. Its VERY  easy to personalize :rock Just an FYI, if you go the Natural Point TrakIR route,spend the extra on the TrakClip PRO. Its much better than the standard "Hat" clip IMO :cheers:

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 03:24:24 PM »
:aok TrackIR is awesome in its own rite! I loved it! You can dial that puppy right in with the curves adjustment. Its VERY  easy to personalize :rock Just an FYI, if you go the Natural Point TrakIR route,spend the extra on the TrakClip PRO. Its much better than the standard "Hat" clip IMO :cheers:

I agree with 1stpar.   :aok  I'd likely still be using TrackIR rather than my Rift, if one of my sons had not sent me a Rift......but now I'm spoiled and no going back mind you!     :airplane: