Author Topic: Default view should be straight ahead  (Read 413 times)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Default view should be straight ahead
« on: March 06, 2018, 11:48:27 AM »
...currently defaults to down and forward. Thats confusing to new people. Heck took me a good day to figure out when i switched to ah3.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Default view should be straight ahead
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 01:00:25 PM »
The original reason we tested back in the alpha\beta was Hitech had chosen 85 as the default FOV when you first installed the game. Players like ourselves would not be the norm, while first timers would probably use a mouse. So the slight down angle was to allow those first timers with a mouse and 85 FOV to see the default instruments needed for flying. I will venture 100% of veteran AH players hit the HOME key and then F10. Now that the default FOV has been changed to 90, and you can drag a HUD display under the gunsight, I'm not even sure that light down angle matters and it may even contribute to turning off potential new customers trying to see out of their cockpits.

I wonder if for some new customers setting the default back and setting the default for the speed and direction HUD just under the gunsight will be more attractive and familiar.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 01:06:06 PM »
...currently defaults to down and forward. Thats confusing to new people. Heck took me a good day to figure out when i switched to ah3.

Agreed.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 09:44:43 PM »
+1

I'll say most people I've talked to were much happier after hitting the home/F10 view. The current start view was not a good change IMO. It's bad for SA. Bustr, the view when you press home/f10 gives much better outside views and allows the player to feel like they are in a real cockpit. I think if they did that, with a 106 FOV, people would still have a view of all the instruments while being able to see out of the cockpit much easier. 
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 11:00:57 AM »
Worst part is skewed perspective. The further from center the worse it gets. With straight forward look the gun site is centered, with the down view it's not, adding an additional challenge to gunnery.

The down look makes it feel a bit like decades old MS flight simulator (top half of screen 3d, bottom half 2d instruments). There it did work because the center of the projection was at the center of the top half of the screen.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 11:35:24 AM »
You guys are comparing it to "what we use to have". The whole idea was for NEW players who have never seen it any other way. The view WITH gauges AND and forward view was thought to be a better setup for new players making it easier for them to get going.

Once they get acclimated, Im they will learn about the view adjustments and so set up the views the way THEY like them.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 12:40:03 PM »
You guys are comparing it to "what we use to have". The whole idea was for NEW players who have never seen it any other way. The view WITH gauges AND and forward view was thought to be a better setup for new players making it easier for them to get going.

Once they get acclimated, Im they will learn about the view adjustments and so set up the views the way THEY like them.

They would do that anyways, even if the view was straight ahead.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 03:28:36 PM »
I think the straight ahead view is easier for new viewers to use and see whats going on.