Author Topic: Lt. Frank Bouldin, Jr. - P-51D "Dallas Doll" (SX*I) - 353rd FG, 352nd FS - AH3  (Read 1699 times)

Offline LanLow613

• Zinc Member
Hello, I am new to the Aces High Bulletin Board. I have a question that I am hoping someone can answer. Does anyone know the correct paint color of the wording 'Dallas Doll' on Lt Frank H. Bouldin's P-51D? In all the photographs, models, paintings and other artwork, the wording is painted black. There are some that believe that the wording was painted red with black outline.

Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all very much!

Best Regards,
Lance

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
I do not have an answer on this one but perhaps some of my colleagues can weigh in.   Lyric1 may have something in his massive archive that will tell us.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Hello, I am new to the Aces High Bulletin Board. I have a question that I am hoping someone can answer. Does anyone know the correct paint color of the wording 'Dallas Doll' on Lt Frank H. Bouldin's P-51D? In all the photographs, models, paintings and other artwork, the wording is painted black. There are some that believe that the wording was painted red with black outline.

Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all very much!

Best Regards,
Lance

Hi Lance.

I don't have a definitive answer to your question however I do have a book with a few more photos of this aircraft that maybe be the answer to the different nose art colours.

https://fighting-high-books.myshopify.com/products/slybirds

First off the most common photo known.

Not that this colurised image is proof this particular guy does some excellent interpretations of the black and whites.

So here is some other black and whites from the book.

My best guess all of the above images I think the text is all solid black. I'm basing this off what colours were known on these aircraft in that time frame regarding blacks and comparing it to other known colours. Black and gold checker pattern on the nose, solid black theater lines on wings and tail, black serial number, solid black squadron code as well at that point in time, and the green anti glare panel. The text is very large in the above photos now look what happens later on.

The nose art has shrunk considerably and I think that was done because the checker pattern was extended further down the nose. The quality of the above three images is not so great I do think that other colours come into play like these colour images I found online.

Squadron code now has a yellow lining. The text now has shading on some portions and painted red as well in the first image. These colour images from the book shows some shadowing as well in the photos below.

Here is its new configuration with the new pilot.

So I hope this helps Lance based off what is here I think its possible both red and black are in play depending on what time frame.

Others in this forum are better at interpreting black and white images and I am sure they will make some more posts so keep looking in to see what they have to say.

Regards, Rodney.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 03:21:07 AM by lyric1 »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Invasion stripes on the underside,  did I read that right?

Good stuff Lyric1, as always.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Invasion stripes on the underside,  did I read that right?

Good stuff Lyric1, as always.

Yes. I don’t think the picture quality is good enough to confirm it though.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Midwest Aero Restorations just finished a P-51D in these markings, I wonder if that was why Lance was asking.

They did some research on the nose art that is worth looking at.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0BDGgt5UhybomcLLjDcLbBayKre4ETz7xSpCxdAtkGV9n6KSXQ1vYkQzHHz4T2ap1l&id=100057354194115&mibextid=Nif5oz
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Midwest Aero Restorations just finished a P-51D in these markings, I wonder if that was why Lance was asking.

They did some research on the nose art that is worth looking at.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0BDGgt5UhybomcLLjDcLbBayKre4ETz7xSpCxdAtkGV9n6KSXQ1vYkQzHHz4T2ap1l&id=100057354194115&mibextid=Nif5oz

With the one photo that I have this version is much clearer than mine and it is two different colours. Also Gary Velasco is involved written a few books on nose art and accomplished artist himself. He has a huge archive of photos.

Good catch Fencer.  :salute

Well I guess based off the new image Vraciu has another revision coming.  :bolt:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 02:00:05 AM by lyric1 »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Lol Lyric.

Thanks guys for the info.

Red?   Man that seems an odd choice.  The original skin is purple which seems close to my mental picture of it.

Getting these borders to look good is going to be a challenge regardless.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Lol Lyric.

Thanks guys for the info.

Red?   Man that seems an odd choice.  The original skin is purple which seems close to my mental picture of it.

Getting these borders to look good is going to be a challenge regardless.

If you have Facebook go to the link that Fencer posted there is a whole bunch of images on the restoration.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
If you have Facebook go to the link that Fencer posted there is a whole bunch of images on the restoration.

Yeah, I see that.  It looks garish as hell.  :O
”KILLER V”
The Damned