Author Topic: Updating video driver: Best way?  (Read 5106 times)

Offline TerryRF

• Copper Member
Updating video driver: Best way?
« on: March 25, 2018, 12:36:54 AM »
 Some help on how to update my GTX 1070 properly.

Do I just get the latest driver (394.24) from nvidea, download it then run the .exe or is it more involved? I have heard various things such as using third party software to remove old drivers. Using GeForce Experience (which I have already uninstalled). My current driver is ver. 378.78.

I did update the driver once before using GeForce Experience but I don't know if that is the best way. Any guidance I can get from any of you tech savvy AH'ers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Av8.

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Updating video driver: Best way?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 03:11:38 AM »
Basically, if you're updating from existing Nvidia drivers to a newer version, you don't have to do any extra tricks. Simply download the driver and execute it.

I prefer checking the "Clean install" box during the installing as well as unchecking most of the elements in the components menu. You don't need the 3D things unless you're using a 3D monitor with or without 3D glasses, neither do you need the HD audio unless you're using your monitor speakers connected via HDMI. Graphics driver and PhysX are all you need.

Or, as this image says:

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 07:56:55 AM »
Just use express installation, it automatically uninstalls all the old drivers before installing. So its basically the same as a clean installation.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 11:13:04 AM »
Some help on how to update my GTX 1070 properly.

Do I just get the latest driver (394.24) from nvidea, download it then run the .exe or is it more involved? I have heard various things such as using third party software to remove old drivers. Using GeForce Experience (which I have already uninstalled). My current driver is ver. 378.78.

I did update the driver once before using GeForce Experience but I don't know if that is the best way. Any guidance I can get from any of you tech savvy AH'ers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Av8.

I use Wagnard DDU to uninstall my video driver.  It's highly recommended on the Nvidia forums.
The link I provided is for the guide for DDU, but there is also a link for the download on that page.
If you decide to use it, just make sure you run it in Safe Mode.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 11:14:23 AM »
Just use express installation, it automatically uninstalls all the old drivers before installing. So its basically the same as a clean installation.

:confused:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 12:01:21 PM »
Yupp, Wagnard DDU is the tool if you have encountered any issues with your previous drivers. And also if you've accidentally installed the unwanted/unneeded features mentioned above, that's the most efficient way to get rid of them.

Express might work if the previous install was of the minimal type. But I must say that I wouldn't trust it not to install something extra!
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 12:34:55 PM »
Basically, if you're updating from existing Nvidia drivers to a newer version, you don't have to do any extra tricks. Simply download the driver and execute it.

I prefer checking the "Clean install" box during the installing as well as unchecking most of the elements in the components menu. You don't need the 3D things unless you're using a 3D monitor with or without 3D glasses, neither do you need the HD audio unless you're using your monitor speakers connected via HDMI. Graphics driver and PhysX are all you need.

Or, as this image says:

(Image removed from quote.)

Bizman I've never seen that screen before. How do I access it?

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 01:08:03 PM »
Max, right click on it and choose "Copy Image Location". Paste it into a location where you can read it.

As per that very image, I just stumbled across it while doing a Google image search ("nvidia driver install") to check I'm using the right words. It's from https://forums.evga.com/Ultimate-Nvidia-Driver-Guide-for-Uninstalling-and-Installing-driversets-m1174372.aspx so I judged the source as valid. Now that I took a closer look it appears to be outdated but the idea remains the same.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 01:13:05 PM by Bizman »

Kotisivuni

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 03:14:14 PM »
Bizman I've never seen that screen before. How do I access it?

I know you asked Bizman, but are saying you don't see that image displayed when installing your driver?

When you are ready to install your driver that screen appears, if you have selected Custom Installation.
If you select Express Installation, I do not believe you will see it.

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 07:52:38 PM »
No, you won't see that image as part of the installation routine, unless you use the Custom install rather than the Express install. I always use the DDU app and then do a Custom install. I don't think there is any need to do a Clean install, unless your SLI profiles are causing a problem. If you clean them out, then you will have to readjust everything afterwards.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 09:09:54 PM »
After installing any driver into a gaming rig, it's best to run directx to check compatibility.

Offline TerryRF

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 10:37:04 PM »
 Thanks to all that responded.

I followed Bizmans advice exactly and everything went quite well. I downloaded from the nvidea site and did the custom install. The screen was exactly as Bizman pictured.

The "NVIDEA Telemetry Container" was also installed under Bizmans method and was started (automatically) and I promptly disabled it in the services tool.

Hopefully one second pauses in the AHIII dx11 version will go away.

Thanks all.      Av8. 

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 02:29:35 AM »
I know you asked Bizman, but are saying you don't see that image displayed when installing your driver?

When you are ready to install your driver that screen appears, if you have selected Custom Installation.
If you select Express Installation, I do not believe you will see it.

Coogan

Thanks, Coogan! I totally misunderstood the question!  :bhead

Kotisivuni

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 02:44:51 AM »
Thanks, Coogan! I totally misunderstood the question!  :bhead

I was confused as well.  Thought I'd take a shot. 
Coogan  :cheers:
Game Id's:

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 06:14:00 AM »
ALWAYS use the custom installation option for ANY video card driver or you will get a load of garbage you do not need on your computer.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com