Author Topic: Computer optimization programs-free & pay  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Computer optimization programs-free & pay
« on: October 09, 2018, 08:05:24 AM »
Over time, our systems gather registry errors, hidden bloatware and issues whuch slow down performance. There are programs, both free (LoLo, Iobit Advanced System Cleaner to name two) and subscription fee based (Avast Premium for one) + countless more.

My 1st question is, are any of the freeware programs any good (and safe)? 2nd question; are there any fee based that are worth the money?

Apart from performing a clean install, in my case, Win 7, which we know is somewhat of a PITA, what should I be doing to keep my system in top condition?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Computer optimization programs-free & pay
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 08:58:18 AM »
After you do a clean install, update Windows, and install your programs, make a disc image and save it for next time.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 09:44:18 AM »
Yeah, don't use any of those programs.  Back up your data and then wipe the hard drive and re-install. 

Personally I'm going to remain on Windows 7 as long as possible, until unpatched vulnerabilities are present or games I care about no longer run on it, or new hardware I buy no longer supports it.

I found this to be interesting, for the day I upgrade my CPU again: https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc/blob/micro/README.md

I wonder if it works on the new 9th gen....
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 10:04:35 AM by BoilerDown »
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 09:50:46 AM »
Yeah, don't use any of those programs.  Back up your data and then wipe the hard drive and re-install. 

Personally I'm going to remain on Windows 7 as long as possible, until unpatched vulnerabilities are present or games I care about no longer run on it, or new hardware I buy no longer supports it.

Yep.  Those programs *can* make a huge mess of your computer.

I am sticking with Windows 7, until I retire, then switching to Linux. 
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 11:00:32 AM »
I agree with the above. In my books Iolo and Iobit are next to "potentially unwanted programs". While they may do some of the job decently, they also tend to persuade the user to download more of their stuff. I don't have any experience of Avast! cleaners other than having seen their suggestions on the free version. That alone looks fishy. Knowing that Avast! has bought AVG and having witnessed the cleaner of the latter doing too comprehensive of a cleaning I don't have much trust into that either.

The only cleaner I use is Ccleaner which does a good job in cleaning temp files of Windows and all browsers in one pass without destroying anything. Occasionally I also use the built-in cleaner of Windows, there's a couple of options that have proved useful for freeing some space in smaller disks.

Removing temporary files is a straightforward task. Adjusting settings requires some knowledge and reliable advise and should be done manually, taking note of every change in order to be able to revert to the original settings in case something goes wrong. Most useful adjustments have been gathered under Hints and Tips by Skuzzy.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 11:07:11 AM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 11:13:37 AM »
Ccleaner is the only program I use as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 11:47:24 AM »
I keep a copy of CCleaner, myself to install and use on computers I am cleaning up the OS on and tweaking

I've often referred and recommended www.blackviper.com to other people who are wanting to try and clean/tweak their own Computer systems.. BlackViper does a pretty thorough job at showing one what is required/needed and what can be turned off/removed/set to manual regarding the different types of services and processes for each OS, from Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.0/8.1, Windows 10 (and all the different versions of each OS - ie; Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise etc....)

I, myself, also use AIDA 64 Extreme, for monitoring and testing purposes ( iirc, it was what one might know as "Everest" way back before the name change)

I prefer to do my own manual cleaning and tweaking of my own personal computers... Since I built them, installed all the components and OS/drivers/updates.... Most do not want to or may not know how to do this.. That is one of the main reasons I recommend and refer people to go to BlackViper's website

He walks you through how to do it manually and if you don't feel comfortable doing it that way, BV offers downloadable executable program/file that will do the job for those that might not feel good about the idea of doing it manually....

Hope this is helpful

~S~

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 07:09:22 AM »

I found this to be interesting, for the day I upgrade my CPU again: https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc/blob/micro/README.md

I wonder if it works on the new 9th gen....

Bookmarked
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women