Author Topic: sustained turn speeds  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
sustained turn speeds
« on: March 16, 2018, 07:04:59 PM »
Hello,

is there a resource that can point out the best sustained turn speed for different planes in the game? if it has a reference to different flap position even batter!
while at it, finding the best speed for a sustained climb?

i think i remember an old webpage back in AH1 that had such info but maybe i'm confusing it with something else

any help will be appreciated.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: sustained turn speeds
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 09:21:45 PM »
While out of date this are the only one I know of.....

http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 09:39:18 PM »
I think most players believe that the default speed on the autopilot when set for hold speed aka auto climb is the speed for best rate of climb.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 06:22:04 AM »
Thanks for the link. Very informative
Where ther any flight model changes since the charts where made?
Allso it shows only turn radius and not turn rate...

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 09:05:41 AM »
Thanks for the link. Very informative
Where ther any flight model changes since the charts where made?
Allso it shows only turn radius and not turn rate...

I dont think there were any changes made, for what they are the page covers it well.

Most info was pulled strait from the HTC data base. There use to be a couple of pages that had player investigated data, turn speeds, turn rates with/with out ord, low fuel/high fuel loads and so on. This was years ago and while I saved the "links" I should have saved the sites as they are no longer available. I posted a similar question a few months ago looking for the best turn speeds and got pretty much no answers (this is when I found most of my links dead).

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 09:33:17 AM »
Hello,

is there a resource that can point out the best sustained turn speed for different planes in the game? if it has a reference to different flap position even batter!
while at it, finding the best speed for a sustained climb?

i think i remember an old webpage back in AH1 that had such info but maybe i'm confusing it with something else

any help will be appreciated.

When you're pulling 3g while hearing the stall horn you're in the ballpark for best sustained turn.

Note your speed and compare it to other aircraft, the aircraft with the lowest speed that allows sustained 3g is the best turner.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 10:04:09 AM »
I alway comment this in such threads because I think the newer players need to be aware of this:
Turn rate/radius tests are nice and all, but keep in mind that they bare very little relevance to actual dogfight. Dogfights involve very little sustained turns, almost never in the conditions that the tests were conducted at, and usually neither a best sustained turn nor smallest turn are the best move for the situation.

The tables are fun facts to entertain us, don't waste too much time on them.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 10:16:12 AM »
There are also variables like loadout and fuel remaining that affect turn performance and are not obvious at the merge. Hopefully the point of comparing turn rates is more to order the plane set by performance rather than to plan on flat turns as a tactic.

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 10:24:57 AM »
Here is a .pdf file made some time ago, but the comments made above need to be taken into consideration.

one-eye
"One-Eye"

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 09:11:11 AM »
thanks for the PDF! great find

that is very informative but still not exactly what i am looking for.
i am looking for a graph that shows how the turn rate of a plane is affected by its air speed.

each plane has its own best sustained turn rate speed.
what FLS suggested is a good starting point but im looking for something more accurate :)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 10:33:33 AM »
The faster you go the more radial g you can pull. Since lift produces drag the harder you turn the more you slow down which reduces how much g you can pull. For WW2 fighters best sustained turn speeds tend to be under 200 mph at around 3g.

Your best turn is at 6g at corner speed but the drag from that much lift won't let you stay at corner speed unless you are descending rapidly.

If you compare performance with full and 1/4 fuel you may decide that accurate numbers are less practical when you don't know the bandit's fuel state.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 11:32:11 AM »
thanks for the PDF! great find

that is very informative but still not exactly what i am looking for.
i am looking for a graph that shows how the turn rate of a plane is affected by its air speed.

each plane has its own best sustained turn rate speed.
what FLS suggested is a good starting point but im looking for something more accurate :)
What FLS is saying IS accurate. There is no set in stone single best turn rate for any plane. There are too many variables involved. This is why a general ballpark figure is about as accurate as it gets. Weight of fuel, flaps, etc., all factor into it. That is what it is. With similar planes at similar alts, the lighter plane will turn better. Same weights, the plane using flaps vs the plane that doesn't, the plane with flaps out will generally turn better. I think about the only place along the curve where all things are kinda equal is along the 6g line and that's only because you'll be blacked out soon as would anybody else regardless of plane. Doesn't matter how well the bird turns if you're sleeping thru it! At the lower end stall speed is the limit. The heavier plane will stall trying to maintain the same rate as the lighter plane. The plane with flaps out will be able to maintain pulling at least some G better than the plane without. The limit there is enough relative wind to sustain lift and flight at all.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 04:28:16 PM »
hi

i am aware that different weight, altitude, flaps, pilons and so on affect performance.

basically i am looking for something like that - a graph that shows you at what speed you get the most DPS without loosing speed (PS=0)
i dont care about the other plane and it is irrelevant

i am pretty sure that AH planes dont have this data and 3Gs without loosing speed is a starting point.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 04:54:52 PM »
Keep in mind that best sustained turn speed is only useful in a flat turn and as such is mostly a low speed limit for maneuvering. Generally speaking, if you can't pull 3g you're probably too slow.

There are a few EM diagrams on the internet for some AH aircraft but there isn't an available collection.

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_011a.html

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 01:48:21 PM »
good reading
thanks