Author Topic: 1/2 winged planes  (Read 8925 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: 1/2 winged planes
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2018, 11:39:52 AM »
Never really thought about it, but do 38s have a 2 part wingtip to lose like other planes?  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there flaps inside the engine pod, and when you lose a wing(tip) you just lose what's outside the engine?  Or is there a condition where there's a stub outside the engine remaining as well?

I don't fly 38s much and can't recall a wingtip shooting offhand.  In everything though, you definitely need ALL the trim toward the long wing to keep in the air.  In a 190/Ta I generally find I need all the trim, and about 1/3 to 1/2 deflection on my stick to maintain something resembling level flight.  I also generally find mid-high speed works best to stay in control, I seem to recall getting into dives that were too fast to pull out of as the asymmetrical lift just caused it to roll regardless of aileron input on many occasions.

190s can do relatively well with a wingtip shot off.  I actually had a kill in an A8 a few seconds after I lost both wingtips (pulled too hard out of a dive) and the guy was running down a friendly in front of me as I was leveling out to limp home.  I still had rudder and elevator and he pretty much flew into my gunsite.  If I remember right I couldn't keep it together when I got slow enough to land though.

I can't recall ever thinking about making another pass on a bomber when I was missing a wingtip as Save describes though, just because I usually wind up below them after a pass and climbing back up to make a decent pass would take too long if it is even possible, it just never occurred to me to try.  A coalt pass would be  a weak, slow side or rear shot which is just suicide so I never bothered.

Wiley.

It's just the wing section outboard of the engine. And you're correct about the rolling at speed, which is why you have to slow down, trim up as best you can and get flaps out for lift and quickly too, otherwise you're riding a barrel roll into the ground. Once you get inverted that's about it usually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: 1/2 winged planes
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2018, 11:53:59 AM »

It's just the wing section outboard of the engine. And you're correct about the rolling at speed, which is why you have to slow down, trim up as best you can and get flaps out for lift and quickly too, otherwise you're riding a barrel roll into the ground. Once you get inverted that's about it usually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That sounds about right.  Based on that, my usual schtick when I get a wingtip shot off would spell doom.  I can't recall offhand ever saving a 38 once a wingtip was gone, although I've landed them missing an astonishingly large number of other parts. :)  Thanks for the info. :salute

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11