Author Topic: Setting up and using Oculus My thoughts  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
Setting up and using Oculus My thoughts
« on: April 04, 2018, 11:42:37 AM »
Just some stuff I put together for the folks out there getting started, wanted to say thanks again Kanth for when I first got started and had questions.  :banana:

"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Setting up and using Oculus My thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 04:39:06 PM »
Haven't made the plunge to VR yet but thanks for putting up the vids. Will be a great help when I eventually go there. On the list after new throttle.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 02:05:16 PM »
I have to get one now.  Great vids. 

Question: 

I saw they are developing more interaction with the hand controls.  All I want is the VR headset to work and I still have throttle and joystick controls.

Is that still going to be an option?

Can anyone answer that?

Thanks again for posting.

AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 02:48:34 PM »
I would say DEFINITELY! I see no way that Joysticks and Throttles would be replaced. This would be more for players that wouldnt have a Hotas/joystick already and these would be already at hand. Like those who would only have a Mouse for a controller. It would give a way to have controls other than the Mouse. The feeling of stick pressure cant be reproduced with VR Hand controlers....YET anyway :cheers:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Schen

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 06:36:49 PM »
I would say DEFINITELY! I see no way that Joysticks and Throttles would be replaced. This would be more for players that wouldnt have a Hotas/joystick already and these would be already at hand. Like those who would only have a Mouse for a controller. It would give a way to have controls other than the Mouse. The feeling of stick pressure cant be reproduced with VR Hand controlers....YET anyway :cheers:

A set of electric magnets that come closer together if tilted should be able with some engineering to get an effect of pressure. But alas I am no engineer.... who knows if it would actually work.
"Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder"
           Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker

---Committing scientific murder since tour 157---
                       :devil

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 10:16:26 AM »
A set of electric magnets that come closer together if tilted should be able with some engineering to get an effect of pressure. But alas I am no engineer.... who knows if it would actually work.
:D Well,I didnt think of THAT :uhoh Here is to DREAMING :cheers: That would be something really interesting. Probably would need to look at housing prices near a FLAK factory :rofl Spend all my time in AH anyway,might as well go "Lawn Mower Man" and move on in!
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 09:16:54 AM »

Using magnets on a glove could give you pressure to simulate (but probably not with great fidelity/"resolution" gripping a stick/yoke, etc., but wouldn't be able to give resistance to movement, i.e. simulate resistance to moving a control, as there would be nothing for the magnet to "push against" to give you an unbalanced force in any direction.  Otherwise, you'd be violating Newton's law of equal and opposite reactions.

Mike

Offline Schen

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 12:29:45 PM »
Using magnets on a glove could give you pressure to simulate (but probably not with great fidelity/"resolution" gripping a stick/yoke, etc., but wouldn't be able to give resistance to movement, i.e. simulate resistance to moving a control, as there would be nothing for the magnet to "push against" to give you an unbalanced force in any direction.  Otherwise, you'd be violating Newton's law of equal and opposite reactions.

Mike

5hanks for the science but good to know.
"Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder"
           Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker

---Committing scientific murder since tour 157---
                       :devil

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 08:37:53 PM »
I have to get one now.  Great vids. 

Question: 

I saw they are developing more interaction with the hand controls.  All I want is the VR headset to work and I still have throttle and joystick controls.

Is that still going to be an option?

Can anyone answer that?

Thanks again for posting.

Like the guys have said above no reason right now to replace or ditch good ol' stick and throttle so I'd get at it. and Thanks for watching!
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE