Author Topic: Gaming Laptop  (Read 416 times)

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
Gaming Laptop
« on: April 05, 2018, 08:17:23 PM »
Does anybody have a recommendation for a good gaming laptop?  I haven't bought a completely built PC in years so I have no clue what to look for these days.

I've never been much of a laptop person, but I'm looking for a gaming PC that I can use away from my desk. I like the look of the Alienware 17s but I'm not buying from Dell. I've been through their BS before. Plus I've heard they have quality control issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: Gaming Laptop
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 10:14:14 PM »
There are lots of reasonable options, MSI, Asus, Alien, etc.  Just be sure to get at least the 1060 IMO, and the larger memory one, not the 3gb version, as they sell 2 different 1060s.  Try for the 1070, the 1080 is very expensive, too much $ for a laptop if you ask me, but the 1070 are still reasonable for what they can do. 

Asus makes one of the better options right now, The ROG Strix Scar is excellent, Gsync, 1070, IPS, 144hz, solid build quality, etc etc.  Decent video of it below.  MSI makes a good unit too, I've used one for a while now, but I still feel my previous Asus gaming laptop from the last generation was a bit better.  The Asus Strix/Scar is going to be my next one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvfbeURjoYQ&t=414s

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:20:52 PM by Gman »

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 11:56:11 PM »
I just got myself an Acer. i5-7300HQ, GTX 1060 6 GB, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD.

Runs AH at steady 60 fps at default settings. I think the i5 is sufficient for that video card. RAM is probably insufficient. If you find one in discount it could be worth it for around $ 1000.

I found the price hike to 1070 too much. Could be different in the US.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 05:41:20 AM »
If ASUS has gotten rid of the RED backlighted keys, on the keyboard, then it would be my recommendation.  The Wife has an older one with the backlit keys and they suck.  Had to hand make keycaps with real letters so she could use her 'hunt and peck' typing style.

From the video it looks like they have gotten rid of them, or at least, made the lettering on the key caps more pronounced.

The IPS video panel is brilliant and crisp.  A little bright, out of the box.  On hers it has a user accessible hard drive slot so you can add another hard drive, if you like.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 04:06:40 AM »
I have an Alienware 17R4 for the last 12 months. No issues other then now I have to redo the heat sync because the paste they used was substandard. Expensive, at the time yes - but I'm always on the road so it is what it is.

Here's a tear down with the thermal repaste job I'm referring to

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-17r4-15r3-disassembly-repaste-guide-results.797373/

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 05:44:38 PM »
I have an Asus g750 I love it.. Graphics no prob in maxing out my setting I just choose not to have the reflections and a few others.. My fps runs 60 unless I'm in clouds or in groups of other players then It drops for a few seconds to 47-51 my ping rate jumps from 83-115 from my Verizon jet pack WiFi... I'll give more specs if you want I'm just not currently looking at my laptop
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 05:49:14 PM by scott66 »
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 07:32:53 PM »
At my work we use Asus ROG Zephyrus GX501 laptops when we use laptops in our display demos at game trade shows.  Pretty good gaming laptops though I think the screen is a little on the small side.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 04:29:24 PM »
I’ve pretty much decided that I’m going to go with a 17” screen, but that’s all I’ve decided.

My other question is about GPUs. I’m not familiar with AMD stuff at all. The NVIDIA stuff available now doesn’t even compare to my main rigs gtx 770. What’s the difference in the ones out now?  The 1070 seems to be the most common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.