Author Topic: R-i-i-i-i-g-g-g-g-h-h-h-h-t.....  (Read 3263 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: R-i-i-i-i-g-g-g-g-h-h-h-h-t.....
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2018, 05:13:27 AM »

And falling.  While the aeroplane (for purposes of this exercise!) is maintaining a constant speed.

To my surprise, I couldn't readily locate a good ballistics chart for .50 BMG.

Might be easier to visualize if you think of the plane firing while climbing.  Plane then levels off, while bullets travel in an arc above it.  Given the right combination of angles, course and velocities, the bullets will come down on the plane.

- oldman

As I noted above the bullets coming down would be slow (ie no longer ballistic) and unlikely to damage an engine.

Sure the bullet is decelerating, but according the the table above it flies 3000 feet in 1.44 seconds. Assuming the P-38 is somehow going at 400mph, that's still only 586fps. Eveb if we decided to go full retard and took relative velocities away that P-38 is still going to be over 2000 feet behind the round at the 1.44 second mark, and still going more twice as fast as the P-38.

if by some miracle the P-38 got under the round in a dive and managed somehow to catchup to it, the round would be no longer ballistic, and the relative speed between the p-38 and round would negligible such that the 50 cal round would do NOTHING. For those who don't get this... imagine the P-38 has some how slipped in front of the 50 cal - and intersect it's arc, both are travelling at similar speeds in the same direction - so the 50 cal would have no destructive effect even if it did hit.

If by now you still don't get it, I have great deals on bridges.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2018, 09:03:46 AM »

*looks at shiny hook*

*swims away*

- oldman

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2018, 09:25:54 AM »
Would all of this be possible if the plane was on a treadmill?
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2018, 09:54:55 AM »
I find it far more likely he has some left over brass that found its way into his engine housing or was a friendly fire incident.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2018, 11:32:15 AM »
As I noted above the bullets coming down would be slow (ie no longer ballistic) and unlikely to damage an engine.

Sure the bullet is decelerating, but according the the table above it flies 3000 feet in 1.44 seconds. Assuming the P-38 is somehow going at 400mph, that's still only 586fps. Eveb if we decided to go full retard and took relative velocities away that P-38 is still going to be over 2000 feet behind the round at the 1.44 second mark, and still going more twice as fast as the P-38.

if by some miracle the P-38 got under the round in a dive and managed somehow to catchup to it, the round would be no longer ballistic, and the relative speed between the p-38 and round would negligible such that the 50 cal round would do NOTHING. For those who don't get this... imagine the P-38 has some how slipped in front of the 50 cal - and intersect it's arc, both are travelling at similar speeds in the same direction - so the 50 cal would have no destructive effect even if it did hit.

And then he flew through the vertical....

I find it far more likely he has some left over brass that found its way into his engine housing or was a friendly fire incident.

The latter seems most plausible. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 07:39:52 AM »

Beat me to it.   :aok
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 11:44:30 AM »

He could grip it  by the husk!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 06:07:47 PM »
It was pining for the fjords
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 01:23:23 AM »
This has become an interesting thread!

Now I don't know anything about ballistics and material thicknesses, but I understand that if the bullet has been shot upwards it is possible to get where it is coming back down. I'd like to learn the answer to these questions:

How thick/strong is the cover of the radiator of a P38?
Could a free falling bullet penetrate said radiator cover?

Some 20 years ago there was a true story in the local newspaper about a unfortunate hunter who fired his rifle to shoot a wood grouse sitting in a nearby tree, the distance being like 100 metres/yards or so i.e. a normal shooting distance. He missed the bird, instead the bullet killed the hunter's own brother who was sitting at a fire 2 kilometres from there. How likely is it to hit with a single bird size rifle bullet compared to a burst of .50's out of machine guns?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2018, 06:05:22 AM »
The quoted text in the OP is emotive given the mention of high speed and manoeuvres and leads us to think of amazing feats not possible in reality.   However, if we break it down simply then we can start to see how it is possible.

As I noted above the bullets coming down would be slow (ie no longer ballistic) and unlikely to damage an engine............
............................. ........If by now you still don't get it, I have great deals on bridges.

Vulcan, your thinking is wrong sir.  As Vraciu has tried to point out, you are failing to fully understand the vertical aspect of the equation.

As I read it your contention is that even if the plane and bullet could meet they would have similar relative velocities and so damage is unlikely.  That is a flawed conclusion.

If I throw a cricket ball or baseball horizontally and try to catch up with it I cannot.  However I can easily throw it with the same velocity and easily catch it if I change the angle I throw it to be more vertical and I use speed and manoeuvres to try to catch it.  When it comes down it has less energy than when I released it but it will damage me if it hits me.  I challenge you to stand under that ball and refute my statement.

Therefore it is equally possible to fire a bullet from an aircraft at a certain angle and have that same plane intersect the bullet coming down.  I will leave you to do the math but I am certain that bullect could inflict damage.

If you do not get that I have a great deal on bridge repair kits.  Let me know the delivery address.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 06:40:21 AM by FESS67 »

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2018, 10:44:02 AM »

No, as others have pointed out, there must be a vertical element for this to work out.  Hence, the need for an escalator rather than a treadmill.  Logic man..  logic.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2018, 10:56:18 AM »
Or it was a long distant stray from a friendly in another fight out of sight near by somewhere.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2018, 11:03:51 AM »
If Dude did smoke his own engine with one of his rounds he is probably the most unlucky dude in the world considering bullet speed, trajectory and the degradation of the rounds impact due to friction constantly slowing the round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2018, 02:51:37 PM »
All of this would be possible if the plane was on a treadmill.

Fixed.

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2018, 03:15:18 PM »
The quoted text in the OP is emotive given the mention of high speed and manoeuvres and leads us to think of amazing feats not possible in reality.   However, if we break it down simply then we can start to see how it is possible.

Vulcan, your thinking is wrong sir.  As Vraciu has tried to point out, you are failing to fully understand the vertical aspect of the equation.

As I read it your contention is that even if the plane and bullet could meet they would have similar relative velocities and so damage is unlikely.  That is a flawed conclusion.

If I throw a cricket ball or baseball horizontally and try to catch up with it I cannot.  However I can easily throw it with the same velocity and easily catch it if I change the angle I throw it to be more vertical and I use speed and manoeuvres to try to catch it.  When it comes down it has less energy than when I released it but it will damage me if it hits me.  I challenge you to stand under that ball and refute my statement.

Therefore it is equally possible to fire a bullet from an aircraft at a certain angle and have that same plane intersect the bullet coming down.  I will leave you to do the math but I am certain that bullect could inflict damage.

If you do not get that I have a great deal on bridge repair kits.  Let me know the delivery address.

Nope. The bullet must be intercepted while it is still ballistic and able to do damage. If you look at the ballistic table linked above even at 3000 feet the 50 cal drop is only 28 feet vertically. And at 3000 feet the bullet speed drops to ~1000fps, and relative to the P-38 around 500fps.  I would wage in any scenario where the bullet intersects the plane again it has to go non-ballistic and dropping at terminal velocity only.

You keep ignoring the fact the bullet has to do damage when it hits, thus still needs be travelling fast relative to the P-38. (ie your cricket ball is not going to damage a P38)

Now, about the bridge you want to buy from me.