Author Topic: Me163 dash gauges mutilated after remodeling, bring back the default plz  (Read 696 times)

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
  Waffle , stop sabotaging my toys,plz, first the Il2 F3 :furious mode now the Komet. :D
 I did try it last evening, first time after update, seems too dark and hard to read even with different gama and resolution. :bhead Anyone has problems reading it?!  Well, maybe i'm getting old and my eyes need checked. 

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
It is what it is. The cockpit didn't have a good forward view since it had that massive piece of glass to protect the pilot from gunners during his attack run on bombers. I'll bet you pulled your default position as far back as I did. What is it you really want, something gamey? The instruments are fine, you can see them. You can augment them with the HUD display pulled onto the Revi back plate. Leaving shadows on adds darkness to dark things in the game.

My default view, I use glasses and in my 60's. It is what it is and to scale. The yellow ringed instrument is fuel the one to the left of it is RPM.

AH3 default view.

Two moved forward one in 2048 and the other in 512 textures.

And if it's just seeing the instruments, I mapped a key with this as a test.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
 Bustr, thx for replay  :cheers:  i'm getting about same dashboard view,  seems too dark without sharpness and contrast for human eye to pick up/read  easy, especially around the indicator needles. Maybe you are right, this is how was built and modeling has some limits in turning a 3D cockpit on 2D flat screen.
I admit , im my dweebness, i loved the older game a bit more gamey just for fun, imo this excessive realism hurts my eyes and game play.   

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
I agree it's too dark, ghi.

I like to leave shadows and post lighting on, but it makes the gauges hard to see. If I turn up the gamma so the cockpit looks good to me, it's too bright outside.

A "cockpit gamma" slider would be sweet.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 07:17:30 PM by BuckShot »
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Looked around on the Internet for cockpit photos from real 163. Along the way I found that the interiors varied in what shade of gray was used. Waffle chose the dark shade and I found a picture of the lighter shade. And a picture of the dark shade where you see they had to use a bright lamp to get a good photo of the interior.

Maybe this wish should be asking if Waffle can lighten the gray he used for the cockpit interior and change the brown areas to each side of the seat to gray like in the first photo I attached. Still when it comes down to it, all that matters is whats in the gunsight.

Here is the AH 163 cockpit module. The first screen capture the light engine is turned on and you see all the darkness that will show up in the real world. The second is with the light engine off and you can see Waffle chose the dark gray interior. The second screen capture is why I turn off shadows. And it's obvious the cockpit is dark becasue of the steel band holding that wide bullet proof glass scrren and the sides of the cockpit curve up and to the pilots neck hiding the side interior in shadow. Also what Waffle chose to paint brown on each side of the pilot, one of the photos below it was painted gray. The interiors varied and Waffle chose one of several.

Be warned we are talking shades of gray and in these next two photos conditions were augmented either with a light and exposed open to the sun or just a very bright light. And in the first photo the instrument panel is charcoal grey but, the lighter grey interior has a higher light return quality than in the second photo or Waffles cockpit colors. 

The lighter gray cockpit I found.

The dark gray that looks a lot like the colors Waffle chose to go with. Did anyone notice Waffle even copied the markings from that big strap next to the pilot seat?

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
I fly those by sound anyways.  Things going too fast to keep an eye on gauges and try not to run into other planes and get your shot off in the 1/4 second you have on a good high angle pass.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"