Author Topic: I Should've listened to Rip.  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
I Should've listened to Rip.
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2001, 12:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by -ammo-:

were they all zekes or did you you see some KI61's? I dont know if it was your group but I had  a gruop of 4 KI61's that killed 3 tbm's and 1 corsair.

Upon initial contact with the Ki's we spotted only three aircraft. Intercepting them was fairly smooth, though they did get some rounds through to our charges. I was killing the last of the three when I heard, "There's only one left, Voss" and then cut the Ki in half. That's when I looked behind and saw the fourth Ki about to open fire. I never heard the pings, but I saw the sheep!  :)

Unfortunately, SkyKing disco'd just as the Ki's were coming into the area. Had he still been online I don't think you would have gotten two TBM's, but you never know!

Anyway, great scenario! The 13th is looking forward to more engagements of this sort. Well done everyone!

:cool:

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2001, 12:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fatty:
If the disco was during combat, the FE view of a disco is an explosion, so would explain the difference.

Except, the disco of the TBM occured long before the Ki's came into range. I noted after the second wave of Zeke's that we were down to three charges, and was trying to sort out exactly what got through to even get a shot at them. Unfortunately, the one guy in the TBM flight I had on private was the lost flight.

We didn't have too much time to concern ourselves with that, though, as the Ki's were on us immediately after.

I have missed this sort of special event ever since AW DOS. Thank you CM's, and HTC for bringing that sensation back!

:cool:

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2001, 02:40:00 PM »
I just wanted to pipe in and say I heard that it took over 4 hours to set up the TOD and that the person who did it was actually covering for the CM who was originally slated to do it.  There will probably always be a few mistakes, but these guys are doing a GREAT job and I appreciate all their efforts and the time they volunteer to set this up for all of us.  I had no idea it took over 4 hours for just the tasks on Friday to be completed not counting the other things they deal with prior to Friday.

Thanks to the CMs.  You are making my Fridays the best time in AH for me.

-Puke
332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2001, 03:29:00 PM »
Sorry to do this, but I just looked at a film, and it appears that CV13 was pretty darn close to 33.  A big dar bar comes up in a sector offshore the southernmost part of the island.
From my quick-and-dirty experiment (Hawgs with 2x1000lbers, full internal fuel, climb to 10k, cruise at 30 MAP =225MPH), the F4U-1D should have more than enough range to hit the target.
What happened?  Did you guys take off somewhere else (I agree it's not quite possible to do it from the far Western edge of the map)?  Did you climb too high? (fuel multipliers affect how much you can effectively climb enroute)  Did you lower your prop RPM?

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2001, 03:44:00 PM »
Dinger... they sure don't look like F4U's to me...  F6F's.. and it was 15 to 33

SKurj

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2001, 08:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Zippatuh:

CV15 to A33

I think he meant in what sector did CV15 launch you from. If it was way down in the SW corner of the map, yeah, it was a one way flight. We sank both the Carrier and the Cruiser.   :D

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2001, 09:38:00 PM »
Dinger, we launched in the 10.5 sector with Hellkitties, 100% fuel, 2 x 1000lb'ers. Headed ENE to A41, at A41 we realized that there was little chance we'd actually make to A33. So we turned NW thinking we'd hit the HQ, until someone realized the HQ was in fact the 'neutral country'. So we diverted W to A36. At about A36 some of us were real low on gas, those that survived A36 only made it as far as P34 roughly.

So draw an arc centered on A41 around, notice how it doesn't make it to A33? I think at best we would have just made P39.

After we launced the CV was 'warped' to the 7.7 cross (if I remember rightly).

So first, we could never had made it to the target, second, there was no way we would make it home.

Some of us who hit 36 thought f**k it and just went suicidal, hitting as much as we could. To top things off CV15 was sunk, no CAP apparently   :(

A marginal mission I can take the challenge. But even after this run was 'fixed' (ie the cv 'warped' into 10.5 to launch us) as per postings in rips thread we still didn't stand a chance. I also believe the fuel multiplier was not changed as was promised, that it was still either 1.5x or possibly 2.0x.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2001, 09:50:00 PM »
haha im glad the real USN didnt have whiners like u guys. didnt you ever hear the story of the guys who took off at dusk to strike the carriers fleeing from the battle of the phillipine sea knowing they werent gonna have enough gas and knowing that if some how they made it they would have to trap at night? they were gambling with their *real* lives but i never heard one of them in their interviews critisize their commanders..

good think the virtual IJN/IJAAF has a bit more in the way of balls! kamikaze!  ;)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2001, 11:50:00 PM »
You guys make alotta nice posts about pilots in the war going on missions that they may not have enough fuel to return from, but none of you recite missions where pilots obediently flew missions where the aircraft couldn't even reach the target....

SKurj

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2001, 12:05:00 AM »
Vulcan,

What was your cruising altitude and your cruising manifold pressure?

Offline Regurge

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2001, 12:06:00 AM »
Was there a rule that you HAD to take bombs? I tried it offline taking 100% + dt and rockets. The dt was enough to make it to 33 from the 10,5 sector, and making it back to 6,6,9 on internal fuel is certainly doable. Landing a21 would be a stretch but refueling at one of the closer friendly bases would have been no problem.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2001, 01:14:00 AM »
[edit]Read my next post for offline test result[/edit]

Guys, there's such a thing as finesse here. The formula for success isn't always WEP to 35,000ft then cruise around at 100% throttle. This was never done in real life. I would never cruise a flight of heavy fighters much above 18-20,000 ft. It's just nuts, and it sure aint historical.

[ 09-09-2001: Message edited by: hblair ]

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2001, 01:27:00 AM »
HB we didn't take rockets, we leveled at 25k, used from 40-55 manifold and didn't wep all over the place.

So the question remains, what was the fuel modifier set at?

Regurge our target was hangars, rockets don't make much of a dent in those.

Zig pull your head in. Do you think I enjoy taking an hour out of my Saturday afternoon on a hopeless mission? I'll whine all I like.

Offline Regurge

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2001, 02:29:00 AM »
It takes 18 rockets to kill a hangar. A full load of ammo from f6f guns will do it too. There's 7 hangars at 33. I count 6 squadmates in the above screenshot, which would have been enough for all the hangars.

Not trying to start a flamefest here, but that mission was doable.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2001, 02:59:00 AM »
Ok, with a loadout like you guys had vulcan (F6F-5, with 2X1000 bombs, no rockets, full internal fuel, rolling from 10.5 sector with 1.5 arena fuel burn rate like in the TOD), I made it to A33, bombed, turned west, made it to just short of A5 when I ran out of fuel and ditched. Could have landed at A3 (wasn't it Allied base in TOD?) I cruised at 10,000ft at 40 psi.

If I'd just had rockets and drop tanks like regurge suggested, it would have been a piece of cake.

In other words, you guys caused your own deaths. How in the world you fellas couldn't even make it to A33 is beyond me.  :eek: Just glad you're flying allied!  :D