Author Topic: Reply to comments about B17 for coastal defense not strategic bombing  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
I just tried that recipe and this came out:
(Image removed from quote.)

HMMMM!
:aok
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
A picture from the original patent application.  The matter appears to be settled.

Wiley.

Are those original blue prints from the library ?
Point made..
Haveablast    then fold and wipe ...no scruntching
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Are those original blue prints from the library ?
Point made..
Haveablast    then fold and wipe ...no scruntching

:rofl :rofl :rofl

HAVEABLAST!!!!
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Fig 1 looks like two hands holding the roll up. Either they have tiny house elves to hold the roll up or the patent is human sized hands and the roll of TP is either for king king or orson welles
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
A picture from the original patent application.  The matter appears to be settled.

Wiley.

Just proves the inventor didn't have a cat.
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Before you guys get too carried away telling him he's wrong, do a bit more digging.  May 1938 the 2nd BG and their early 17s as part of proving they could be effective in defending the US, flew a mission out to intercept an Italian Liner by the name of Rex.  Col Old, (Robin Old's father) lead the flight and Curtis LeMay was lead navigator.   They successfully intercepted the ship 700 miles out.

This did not go over well in those pre-war days when the services were fighting for money and the Navy raised holy hell to the point the Air Corps was limited to only 100 miles out to protect the coasts as the Navy saw it as their job to do so beyond that limit.

So yes, Coastal Defense was a part of the B-17 mission. 

The 2nd BG finds the Rex

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Before you guys get too carried away telling him he's wrong, do a bit more digging. 

Yup.  While the pre-war coastal defense mission wasn't official, it was a prominent dispute.

Same thing happened after WWII, Navy fighting for carriers while the USAF fought for the B-36 and follow-ons.

- oldman

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Before you guys get too carried away telling him he's wrong, do a bit more digging.  May 1938 the 2nd BG and their early 17s as part of proving they could be effective in defending the US, flew a mission out to intercept an Italian Liner by the name of Rex.  Col Old, (Robin Old's father) lead the flight and Curtis LeMay was lead navigator.   They successfully intercepted the ship 700 miles out.

This did not go over well in those pre-war days when the services were fighting for money and the Navy raised holy hell to the point the Air Corps was limited to only 100 miles out to protect the coasts as the Navy saw it as their job to do so beyond that limit.

The 2nd BG finds the Rex

[]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s199/guppy35/Rex_zps21hxn4va.jpg[/img]

Nobody said otherwise. 

The LeMay mission is famous PR.   NOT an obscure fact by any means.

HAVEABLAST.
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors

The 2nd BG finds the Rex

No one has disputed the use of the B-17 in coastal defense, RODBUSTR though is wrong in saying the B-17 was designed not as a strategic bomber but rather purely for coastal defense duties.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Just proves the inventor didn't have a cat.

This.  :bhead
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
Well...if nothing else....we have a new catch phrase  hahahaha   ....    been a while since our last one died off

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Well...if nothing else....we have a new catch phrase  hahahaha   ....    been a while since our last one died off

:rofl :rofl :rofl

HAVEABLAST.
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
And fold and wipe
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
And fold and wipe

Well that, at least we can agree on.  Scrunching is right out.

Still chuckling over the "no cat" comment.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11