Author Topic: Photo Interpretation Help  (Read 2602 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Photo Interpretation Help
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2018, 06:41:06 PM »
I still do not see painted wingtips in that photo...   :headscratch:

You can see it if you don't try to imagine yellow but instead look at the mottled gray effect to the tail. Then look at the wind tip again and you see the same mottled gray effect. That color screen shot of that model showing the yellow tips is a clue to compare the representation of yellow by the black and white photo.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2018, 06:58:39 PM »
You can see it if you don't try to imagine yellow but instead look at the mottled gray effect to the tail. Then look at the wind tip again and you see the same mottled gray effect. That color screen shot of that model showing the yellow tips is a clue to compare the representation of yellow by the black and white photo.

I think I can buy that. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2018, 06:59:27 PM »
If you look at the original picture you posted, the wingtip paint is different than the wing paint. The lighting and quality of the photo make it hard to see but the difference is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good to me. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2018, 03:23:12 PM »
This is a rough look at where I'm going with the paint...

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2018, 03:55:22 PM »
Keep in mind that the theater bands and red nose were painted at the depot before delivery to the Groups.  They were not outlined in black.  It was standard for all the groups to have red noses and yellow ID bands.

This is an image from the depot where they were assembling the Mustangs to get them ready for the Groups.  Note the placement of the bands on these 51Cs, as well as the already painted nose.  Any other Group markings were done once they arrived at that Group.  So the yellow tails of the 52nd, the striped of the 31st the checkerboards of the 35th or the red tails of the 33nd were all done once they became operational.  So the variety you'll see is in the group markings, but not the theater markings.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2018, 05:35:30 PM »
Keep in mind that the theater bands and red nose were painted at the depot before delivery to the Groups. They were not outlined in black.  It was standard for all the groups to have red noses and yellow ID bands.

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/guppy35/media/MTOMarkings.jpg.htm

This is an image from the depot where they were assembling the Mustangs to get them ready for the Groups.  Note the placement of the bands on these 51Cs, as well as the already painted nose.  Any other Group markings were done once they arrived at that Group.  So the yellow tails of the 52nd, the striped of the 31st the checkerboards of the 35th or the red tails of the 33nd were all done once they became operational.  So the variety you'll see is in the group markings, but not the theater markings.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s199/guppy35/MTOBands.jpg[/img][/URL]

Actually, we have cases where they were outlined in black and others were even outlined in WHITE.

Variations I’ve seen:

- Inner bands outlined in black (like this one apparently).
- Outer bands outlined in black (like Jo-Baby, 4FS, WD*D).
- Inner and outer bands outlined in white (Abdul’s Baby, 4FS, WD*A).
- Non-outlined inner and outer bands (5FS, VF*D).
- Non-outlined outer bands only with nothing inboard (Meg X, 4FS, WD*L).
- Non-outlined inner bands only with nothing outboard (like Wee Willie, 2FS, QP*C). 

This airplane has a bunch of odd stuff about it all in one place.    The bands are outboard of the gear doors so I'm wondering if they're located as shown in your schematic.  I'll give that another look.   (Edit: They look to be between the gear doors and the wing pylon.)

If the photo does not actually show the black borders I’ll remove them.  Consensus seems to be they’re bordered. 

I’m still not convinced the wingtips are yellow.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:23:16 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2018, 03:53:49 PM »
I looked at a bunch of 15th AF and 52nd FG and the wingtip is either yellow or aluminum. You can see variations of the yellow stripe and black boarder, yellow tip and no painting at all.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2018, 05:46:29 PM »
I looked at a bunch of 15th AF and 52nd FG and the wingtip is either yellow or aluminum. You can see variations of the yellow stripe and black boarder, yellow tip and no painting at all.

I’m leaning toward metal...
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2018, 01:05:22 AM »
The more I stared at it the more I wondered if the plane had yellow stripes just inboard of the tips, so I decided to keep digging for a picture with a different angle.  Well...this photo threw me for a loop.  Stripes outboard, no inner stripes on top of the wings...

So what about underneath?

Source page with description I can’t read:

http://arsenal-info.ru/b/book/3966754343/5
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 01:50:24 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2018, 02:11:29 PM »
The more I stared at it the more I wondered if the plane had yellow stripes just inboard of the tips, so I decided to keep digging for a picture with a different angle.  Well...this photo threw me for a loop.  Stripes outboard, no inner stripes on top of the wings...

So what about underneath?

(Image removed from quote.)

Source page with description I can’t read:

http://arsenal-info.ru/b/book/3966754343/5

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2018, 02:30:27 PM »
 :rock  :aok :cheers:Thank you!
”KILLER V”
The Damned