Author Topic: Thinking out loud about GV radar  (Read 4603 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Thinking out loud about GV radar
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 11:14:39 AM »
Personally I still think the idea of GVDar implementation was a bad idea but I've come to accept it and use it as others have. As soon as I see GVDar now I'll up a bomb**** plane just as others have done to me, or a storch to hunt it down while others flush it out in tanks. The odd occasion I will use film to find the hiding GV as Bustr mentions when someone is really irritating and flashing a town / base for a long period of time to get rid of them.

I think if the GVDar stays which it obviously will it simply needed to be tweaked - i.e. - when the base radar goes down, GVDar also goes down. This is one of the biggest frustrations with it today as implemented. When dar ring goes down you lose visual area on aircraft but GVDar you still have the 3 mile sector pinpointed and can tell when vehicles move from one area to the next. It is lopsided - period. You can argue all you want that an airplane can travel faster / cover a search area more for other aircraft but it handicaps GV'ers when an airplane can also search in a specific area still with the dar up when it should be down.

Fix that first...

Cheers,
Elec1

Except with the radar down, you still have bardar in the sector to find aircraft.  You're essentially saying "Give us a trivial means to stop the GVdar."  HT isn't that dim.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 12:35:43 PM »
What we need is a pie chart demonstrating any differences between pre-GVdar GV usage, vs post-GVdar. I'm sure HTC has that tool.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2018, 12:41:51 PM »
The area a GV will be operating around a field due to the average distance spawns are placed from feilds is about a 6 mile diameter. Hitech could always change the block dar to a 6mile diameter color inside of the 18 mile aircraft dar ring. Maybe too much visually since the relatively small blocks are visually easier to notice. Have it stay up like the blocks but then it does not semi pinpoint a GV, just says one or more are there until they are destroyed or the base is captured.

The dar blocks at least on the rook side where I play don't seem to move people to intercept M3 which I've witnessed base assaults fall apart with everyone yelling about how were the town guns not staying down and they could see a dar block at the spawn the whole time. I watch more players wait until they see a main gun tracer before they start looking for tanks while a dar block has been sitting there for some time. Trees foil the dar blocks unless the GVer has decided to move across the terrain. Once the dar block is sitting on the field, I watch everyone not be able to find the enemy tank no differently than all the years previously to dar blocks. And everyone yells the same things at each other and runs around in circles PO'd at each other like they did before the dar blocks.

It seems for some players the dar blocks are not as helpful as other players in locating GV's. And shutting down under a 5 tree canopy foils the GVDAR well enough using a film is now a gamey standard GV locating tactic. And it works as far as I can tell 100% of the time. There is something not right about that in a sense that many GVers have adapted to the new trees to solve their problems with being bombed in very skilled manners. While running a flim takes "zero" skill to get a kill on them.

I don't like GV's but, I spend an inordinate amount of time at the GV level of my terrains building terrain for GV "customers". They are as important to the future of this game as airplane players. So it's easy to appreciate the imbalanced disconnect of a GVer working very hard to become skilled at hiding his tank in the terrain while anyone with no skill other than knowing how to turn on the film recorder can minutes later destroy that GVer. That is wrong on so many levels since this is a game and not a real life war where our lives are at stake.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 01:24:25 PM »
Except with the radar down, you still have bardar in the sector to find aircraft.  You're essentially saying "Give us a trivial means to stop the GVdar."  HT isn't that dim.

Wiley.

No - what I'm saying is you can still show there is a GVDar bar - just not pinpoint the 3 mile square where it is now and moves with the vehicle if the radar is down.

I'm not that dim either...and some thought did go into this.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 01:40:03 PM »
No - what I'm saying is you can still show there is a GVDar bar - just not pinpoint the 3 mile square where it is now and moves with the vehicle if the radar is down.

I'm not that dim either...and some thought did go into this.

Given the difficulty of spotting a GV from the air, having the search area narrowed down to 3 square miles is only just adequate.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 02:24:36 PM »
Given the difficulty of spotting a GV from the air, having the search area narrowed down to 3 square miles is only just adequate.

Again - you've missed the point...what I am saying is balancing the fairness of dar when dar is down on a base. Having dar show tracking of a vehicle in a 3 mile square when dar is down is not fair. Otherwise...do the same for airplanes when dar is down as well.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 02:27:51 PM »
I suppose it’s all relative to the skill, focus and patience of the player hunting GV’s.

The GVdar only quickens the cat and mouse game that is GV hunting.

Before GVdar: one mouse in a 50,000 sq ft building and 5 people looking for it.

After GVdar: one mouse in 10,000 sq for building with an approximate location based on the turds and chew damage it has left behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 02:50:23 PM »
Again - you've missed the point...what I am saying is balancing the fairness of dar when dar is down on a base. Having dar show tracking of a vehicle in a 3 mile square when dar is down is not fair. Otherwise...do the same for airplanes when dar is down as well.

They do.  There's a bardar indicator that covers about how far a plane can cover in 5 minutes.  Similar to the GV square.  Fairness, just like you asked for.  Except fairness is not what you actually want, you want to go back to being The Invisible Man.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 03:01:56 PM »
They do.  There's a bardar indicator that covers about how far a plane can cover in 5 minutes.  Similar to the GV square.  Fairness, just like you asked for.

And it's still easier to find an aircraft in a 25 mile sector because of the 6K icons. It's also safer too since the but the time you see an icon on a Wirbelwind, you're in it's gun range.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 12:57:45 AM »
They do.  There's a bardar indicator that covers about how far a plane can cover in 5 minutes.  Similar to the GV square.  Fairness, just like you asked for.  Except fairness is not what you actually want, you want to go back to being The Invisible Man.

Wiley.

No - again you've missed the point. It is much quicker for an aircraft to traverse a 3 mile square to bomb**** a GV than it is to travel a 25 mile square in an aircraft. There is an unbalance.

"Invisible Man" is no different than an aircraft that runs NOE or a goon that parks on land somewhere with it's icon identifier below the terrain. GV's can hide better in trees but that is not out of the norm compared to what it is like IRL. The GVDar is unrealistic. I'm simply pointing out it should be modified.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Thinking out loud about GV radar
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 09:28:00 AM »
An aircraft will always cover an area of any size faster than a ground vehicle.

How is that an imbalance, that’s just a simple fact.

As far as being reworked, nah.

Stop fixating on it and watch how little you pay attention to it. Y’all are acting like it’s putting a massive target on your head.

At this point I think many people are fixating on this as if it was something they purchased that had a very minimal blemish. Stop letting it consume you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:58:33 AM by Ciaphas »
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 09:54:43 AM »
no

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 12:25:06 PM »
No - again you've missed the point. It is much quicker for an aircraft to traverse a 3 mile square to bomb**** a GV than it is to travel a 25 mile square in an aircraft. There is an unbalance.

"Invisible Man" is no different than an aircraft that runs NOE or a goon that parks on land somewhere with it's icon identifier below the terrain. GV's can hide better in trees but that is not out of the norm compared to what it is like IRL. The GVDar is unrealistic. I'm simply pointing out it should be modified.

That is spot on Electroman. It is not fair a fighter can traverse the current gv dar bar so quickly as compared to a fighter trying to find a bomber in
the current a/c dar bar.

The gv dar bar should be enlarged to the same specs as the dar bar for a/c or eliminate the gv dar bar. A base flashes when a gv is present and there is a red end sortie. The gv dar bar is overkill against the gv's. The gv's finally have some cover to hide in with the terrain update in AH3.
Why negate the cover?

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 12:49:32 PM »
Why negate the cover?

:salute

Because it is ridiculous that someone in the tower and spotters in the area would not have a bit of locational information on a tank that is maneuvering and firing near them?

Wiley.

JG11

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2018, 01:19:36 PM »
Players are beginning to use the film to pinpoint hidden GVs now as a first choice tactic. A player going to the trouble to hide and shutdown will more often stay in that spot long enough for someone to log out, review the film, and come back and pinpoint the hidden GV. Is no one concerned about this unintended consequence which is creating pinpoint GVDAR? It kind of makes this argument moot. Or will it have to reach the point that every sortie against a GVDAR block like telling someone to bring troops or an M3 for resupply. Someone film this and give us the location. You don't think the block dar boxes are not evolving this tactic?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.