Author Topic: The beginning of the end  (Read 14687 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Re: The beginning of the end
« Reply #136 on: September 05, 2018, 01:42:28 AM »
A sue sign the end is near.  I spent about 10 minutes looking around the house tonight looking for my reading glasses.  I asked my wife if she had seen them, she said no.  A few minutes later the frustration of dealing with the dain barrage and trying to figure out where I had set my classes caused e to pause and rub my face...yep the glasses were on my face the whole time.  I really got get the Rx checked on those things!!
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: September 05, 2018, 08:04:27 AM »
A sue sign the end is near.  I spent about 10 minutes looking around the house tonight looking for my reading glasses.  I asked my wife if she had seen them, she said no.  A few minutes later the frustration of dealing with the dain barrage and trying to figure out where I had set my classes caused e to pause and rub my face...yep the glasses were on my face the whole time.  I really got get the Rx checked on those things!!

I’ve been doing that for years.  Don’t sweat it.   :cheers:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2018, 08:39:20 AM »
Colmbo, You're awesome bud. Who were you with as a paratrooper?
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2018, 11:05:55 AM »
I was in one of the original paratroop units in Alaska.  There were 3 Infantry battalions in Alaska -- the 1/60th and 4/23 battalions of the 172nd Infantry Brigade posted at Ft. Richardson near Anchorage and the 4/9th battalion of the 171st Infantry based at Ft. Wainright near Fairbanks.  The "Charlie" company of each of those battalions was an airborne company equipped with a weapons platoon of 81mm mortars (I was 11C).  Company O Rangers had been here in Alaska but was dissolved and the cadre used to start up the three airborne companies.  IIRC that change occurred around Sep or Oct of 72.  I got to Ft. Richardson on Mar 16, 1973.  Very shortly after my arrival they disbanded the 171st and brought the 4/9 Inf and other associated units into the 172nd.

It was a silly command structure.  In order to get a "mass" jump we had to work with 3 battalions just to get 3 companies onto the drop zone. :)  For us individual airborne companies it was a blast.  On virtually every big field problem (2 per year that were Brigage wide with units from lower 48 and foreign nations) the airborne companies acted as aggressors so many time multiple jumps per FX, operating as guerrillas, etc.  Not as much fun for the leg units when we would go to the range with "battalion mortars".  Legs and airborne troops don't think the same sometimes.  Legs went out one morning to fire danger close with their 81s....the army reg 200 meters.  When we went out that after noon our FDC brain computed off the top of the gun chart (and got it approved by our Platoon Leader Lt) and our two gun section put a single round each of HE on delay (to limit frag).  The round from my gun impacted 42 paces in from of my gun, considered the bunny boots and6 inches of snow that was estimated at 37 meters, book min range for the 81 was 72 meters.  Now everything would have been great except Spec. Wight decided to stand up behind my gun 20 meters or so and watch the flight of the round. (easy to do at charge zero)  To give him credit he did take some precaution and just before the round impacted he bent over and stuck his fingers in his ears.  (The rest of us were pulling the buttons of our shirts to get lower (Willie and Joe quote).  A matchhead size piece of frag passed just under his chin and hit him on the right wrist bone and stuck there sizzling.  The squeal as he thrashed around on the ground was somewhat satisfying.  What wasn't quite as fun was the conversation with my 4 tour Vietnam veteran Platoon Sgt (Sgt Wilson had a combat patch for every day of the week and was a great boss).  Luckily I had covered my bellybutton with my instructions so all I got was a never again trust your platoon Lt.  The conversation with the West Point platoon Lt was much more detailed according to rumor, being a good NCO the rest of the world was not privy to that conversation.  I just wish I had a GoPro in those days, the video would have been awesome!!

Sometime after I discharge in Aug 76 they switched to true Airborne Battalions of the 506th and 501st at Ft Richardson and those guys have done several deployments to the Mid East. 

I apologize if that was more answer that you were looking for but usually takes and bit of explaining for folks used to the usual "82 Airborne" answer....and you opened the memory gate. :)

Were you a paratrooper?

Airborne!!
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2018, 11:15:29 AM »
I was in one of the original paratroop units in Alaska.  There were 3 Infantry battalions in Alaska -- the 1/60th and 4/23 battalions of the 172nd Infantry Brigade posted at Ft. Richardson near Anchorage and the 4/9th battalion of the 171st Infantry based at Ft. Wainright near Fairbanks.  The "Charlie" company of each of those battalions was an airborne company equipped with a weapons platoon of 81mm mortars (I was 11C).  Company O Rangers had been here in Alaska but was dissolved and the cadre used to start up the three airborne companies.  IIRC that change occurred around Sep or Oct of 72.  I got to Ft. Richardson on Mar 16, 1973.  Very shortly after my arrival they disbanded the 171st and brought the 4/9 Inf and other associated units into the 172nd.

It was a silly command structure.  In order to get a "mass" jump we had to work with 3 battalions just to get 3 companies onto the drop zone. :)  For us individual airborne companies it was a blast.  On virtually every big field problem (2 per year that were Brigage wide with units from lower 48 and foreign nations) the airborne companies acted as aggressors so many time multiple jumps per FX, operating as guerrillas, etc.  Not as much fun for the leg units when we would go to the range with "battalion mortars".  Legs and airborne troops don't think the same sometimes.  Legs went out one morning to fire danger close with their 81s....the army reg 200 meters.  When we went out that after noon our FDC brain computed off the top of the gun chart (and got it approved by our Platoon Leader Lt) and our two gun section put a single round each of HE on delay (to limit frag).  The round from my gun impacted 42 paces in from of my gun, considered the bunny boots and6 inches of snow that was estimated at 37 meters, book min range for the 81 was 72 meters.  Now everything would have been great except Spec. Wight decided to stand up behind my gun 20 meters or so and watch the flight of the round. (easy to do at charge zero)  To give him credit he did take some precaution and just before the round impacted he bent over and stuck his fingers in his ears.  (The rest of us were pulling the buttons of our shirts to get lower (Willie and Joe quote).  A matchhead size piece of frag passed just under his chin and hit him on the right wrist bone and stuck there sizzling.  The squeal as he thrashed around on the ground was somewhat satisfying.  What wasn't quite as fun was the conversation with my 4 tour Vietnam veteran Platoon Sgt (Sgt Wilson had a combat patch for every day of the week and was a great boss).  Luckily I had covered my bellybutton with my instructions so all I got was a never again trust your platoon Lt.  The conversation with the West Point platoon Lt was much more detailed according to rumor, being a good NCO the rest of the world was not privy to that conversation.  I just wish I had a GoPro in those days, the video would have been awesome!!

Sometime after I discharge in Aug 76 they switched to true Airborne Battalions of the 506th and 501st at Ft Richardson and those guys have done several deployments to the Mid East. 

I apologize if that was more answer that you were looking for but usually takes and bit of explaining for folks used to the usual "82 Airborne" answer....and you opened the memory gate. :)

Were you a paratrooper?

Airborne!!

Great history write up!  Thanks for sharing.

Nothing wrong with that.  I’ve often found what is lost when I discover the reading glasses that are in my hand.

:aok

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2018, 02:26:36 PM »
 :rofl That is nothing at all, I am the best at it! I found my Luke Skywalker figurine last year..when we were replacing the porch at my Grandparent's house. I looked for that thing for years :rofl Now to find my coffee cup...I just filled it up too :uhoh Love you Brother...your an inspiration :salute
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #142 on: September 05, 2018, 04:43:42 PM »

I look in the fridge for the milk and can't find it. Wife gets it... right where the milk is kept in the door.

I only tell you this to let you know... you are more normal than you think.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #143 on: September 05, 2018, 08:54:04 PM »

Were you a paratrooper?

Airborne!!

No apology necessary, I loved reading you're story. I was 11H, 11B, and 18B; also went to IMLC (Infantry Mortar Leaders Course) at Ft. Benning as an 18B so I appreciated the story about the 81s, legs, FDC, and trusting (or not) your PL. I may even still remember the commands, Deflection!, Elevation!, Charge!.  Yes, I was a paratrooper, served with 1-325AIR-82ndABN DIV, and 1st, 5th, and 10th Special Forces Groups.
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #144 on: September 05, 2018, 09:55:12 PM »
Yes, I was a paratrooper, served with 1-325AIR-82ndABN DIV, and 1st, 5th, and 10th Special Forces Groups.

Awesome!
Columbo

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2018, 06:56:35 PM »
<S>
Colmbo.
Sorry to hear man. Hope the time you have in this world is filled with love and family.

:cheers: Oz

Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #146 on: September 07, 2018, 12:42:00 AM »
<S>
Colmbo.
Sorry to hear man. Hope the time you have in this world is filled with love and family.

It most certainly is.  I had to go to the ER today because of a cardiac issue.  One of the nurses working today is a man named Eric.  When I started the first radiation and chemo treatment they pulled all 8 of my molars out to prevent possible bone death issues from the radiation.  I was working a shift the night before the extraction was planned and Eric came into the ER with a huge T-bone steak, baked potato and a cup of my favorite local coffee.  He relieved me at my position so that I could have a final steak meal, which was probably the best streak I have ever had...the guy knows how to grill meat.  Misted my eyes a bit that someone would be that thoughtful.

Well today as I was discharghed from the ER I walked over to say goodbye and I noticed he was a bit emotional.  He said to me "I will care for you anytime you need me to but please, do not ask me to care for you the last time".  What can you say to that?

Good news is the CT they did checking for lung clots shows the pancreas tumor appears to have been shrunk by the radiation so I might have gained a bit of time.
Columbo

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #147 on: September 07, 2018, 09:26:09 AM »
Good news.  :aok

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #148 on: September 07, 2018, 09:38:02 AM »
 :aok