Author Topic: A couple more river issues  (Read 545 times)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
A couple more river issues
« on: June 29, 2018, 06:13:31 AM »
After cutting a trench at zero elevation for a river, I wanted to try using the River Path tool to extend it. I laid down a 522' wide river path starting at the end of the zero elevation water. The path for the water wasn't showing at that width so I kept testing and here are the resulting screen shots.
I tried several widths at the short path at the mouth of the 2 paths.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 06:18:01 AM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: A couple more river issues
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 12:18:07 PM »
Hope this is something Hitech agrees is a problem and eventually changes. I gave up trying this with my estuary's becasue once the shoulder was over land that was just under a wave breaking shore, that whole segment would either disappear or just parts of the segment irregularly show.  I ended up pulling the river back a bit and settled for adjusting the object color and alpha. The river path object does not have a very elegant land to zero elevation water transition. And recently the mask stopped removing trees from any river path wider than 50ft for me. An additional 4 runs later it started removing the trees again. I have an estuary 2000ft wide on one river.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 04:19:40 PM »
Are you both speaking about a way to merge river into ocean?

HiTech

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 05:32:15 PM »
Are you both speaking about a way to merge river into ocean?

HiTech
Yes, I am. But also the clutter mask problem for wide rivers, which I think you might already be addressing in the next patch.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 01:12:03 PM »
Yes.

I think Easyscor is trying to bridge a space then a merge, I was simply trying to come up with an elegant merge look that hid the stark straight line at the beginning of the first river segment at the ocean zero elevation transition. I could not even the color and alpha for the river object to make an invisible blend to the ocean. It's like trying to hide a small sheet of plastic by laying it down on a much large sheet of plastic both the same color. Light response and the physical edge of the small sheet don't match the larger same color sheet. Also if the shoulder of the river object is not on land at least 1ft elevation, z-fighting and other ugly visual responses happen at the mouth of the river.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 02:06:56 PM »
Since I'm adjusting road bed levels up the bridge end berms to keep tanks from tipping hitting the shoulder of the road. Wish Waffle had just painted a road to match the path road on each end berm.

Here is a good screen capture of the differences between the zero foot ocean level light and texture image and the river object sheet meeting at it. It looks like the same bmp texture file for waves is being run on both. No matter what I try, I cannot make river be a copy of the ocean.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 10:54:18 AM »
Better?

HiTech

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 02:38:49 PM »
That looks much better to me. I'm not seeing the break between the ocean and the river in that image.

I hope the tree mask is also working for wide rivers now.  :pray

:cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 12:20:32 PM »
In the first case, I'd Ctrl+z after Plow Terrain...
The image taken from overhead may help explain why I'd decided not to Plow Terrain.
After more testing, I now believe this might be caused by using the single giant 'S' curved river path.

Also for a different issue I've seen, I've included a zipped dump file from the Paths tab.

Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 04:53:52 PM »
Hitech,

I just read this after posting my new terrain to you today.

Is this new effect something I will have to adjust my rivers to get a good view from my perspective then resubmit my project files to you?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing