Author Topic: AAR from the CO of the "Hellcats on Fumes"  (Read 625 times)

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
AAR from the CO of the "Hellcats on Fumes"
« on: September 10, 2001, 07:10:00 PM »
First, I'd like to recognize the MAG-33 members who enthusiastically & agressively did their best to carry out thier orders under such difficult conditions in frame 1 of TOD 2.  Along with MRPLUTO (CO), my records indicate the following 7 pilots participated: Phantom4, Rangerbob, Vulcan, snafu, Zippatuh, BHorse, and Jebo44.  In consultation with our XO, SwoopUK, I shall recommend all 7 for commendations.

I would also like to thank everyone for their kind words about me.

Vulcan has already posted accurate details and insightful analysis of the mission elsewhere on this BB.  I would just comment that after a climbout to 25k @55MP, we began cruising at 40MP.  At no time (other than takeoff) were pilots ordered to use WEP.  Even at that setting, the fuel comsumption rate seemed unusally high.

I agree with hblair that normal cruising altitude would be about 18-20k for heavy F6Fs.  I chose 25k because intelligence reports indicated we would most likely meet Zeroes, and our Hellcats would have a distinct advantage at higher altitudes.  Just wanted to make sure we'd have plenty of it.

I'd like to thank all the CMs, and let them know thier hard work is greatly appreciated.  We all make mistakes; none of us are perfect.  What is important is investigating and preventing these problems in the future, so I'm glad that funkedup is investigating an apparent fuel burn rate problem with th F6F.

I look forward to flying this Friday!

/S/ MRPLUTO, Captain, VMF-323, ~Death Rattlers~, MAG-33

Offline Exile

• Gold Member
      • http://www.simladder.com/
AAR from the CO of the "Hellcats on Fumes"
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2001, 07:18:00 PM »
ahhh ... so Jebo44 and BHorse were yours.     :)

I'll change the database so they show up in the results.

[ 09-10-2001: Message edited by: Exile ]