Author Topic: WiP P-51B Snoot's Sniper  (Read 1286 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: WiP P-51B Snoot's Sniper
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2018, 10:36:22 AM »
This looks amazing! Will it ever make it in to the skins list?

Thanks, Bfoot1.  No, under the skinning rules in place there is not a path for this skin into the game.

If you are trying to introduce micro wrinkling of the aluminum like you see in some flight photos, you are pulling it off in spades. You are correct about the rudder panel. Why doesthat have a different response? Were the rudders on the 51B fabric covered?

Thanks Bustr.  I really appreciate the feedback, especially when it confirms what I set out to do with bare metal finishes so long ago.  I've been through countless iterations and variations of map settings.   Turns out it wasn't genius, skill or talent - just persistent experimentation.    And studying lots of photos and pictures of '51s.   :)

<S>

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2018, 10:48:41 AM »
This brings up an interesting question I have wrestled with for awhile.  Not all P-51s look like that.  Some look a lot smoother and are of more uniform color. 

Is this due to photo quality (i.e. details not being captured due to film type, distance, sharpness, or lighting)?  Airframe time?   Weather exposure? 

The effect is undeniably good.  I just wonder what takes some airplanes to that point and not others (if photos can be taken at face value).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:54:17 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2018, 11:18:55 AM »
This brings up an interesting question I have wrestled with for awhile.  Not all P-51s look like that.  Some look a lot smoother and are of more uniform color. 

Is this due to photo quality (i.e. details not being captured due to film type, distance, sharpness, or lighting)?  Airframe time?   Weather exposure? 

The effect is undeniably good.  I just wonder what takes some airplanes to that point and not others (if photos can be taken at face value).

Thanks, Vraciu.  I agree and think every item you listed has some effect.