Author Topic: Request and Question  (Read 1778 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Request and Question
« on: July 01, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »
Hi Brooke, just reviewing the AH Events website (which is awesome).   There is no writeup for Ford Fury, however.   Just a sentence that said we ran it and had a blast, and a couple of links to YouTube videos.  If you please, could you post the final version of the write-up there, if only for posterity's sake?  I think its very helpful information when looking back over past scenarios.

Also, why no 12 hr scenario formats upcoming?   You are a numbers guy, and it seems clear from my attendance tracking chart below that 12 hr formats pull people in to participate:

Scenario attendance has continued its steady drop in numbers, but it seems clear that 12 hr format scenarios are a real bright spot, dominating the 4 frame formats in attendance.  Why don't we try another on of those?

Thanks!

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Request and Question
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 11:21:41 PM »
 :x AMEN
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 05:46:21 AM »
To clarify, my question about the 12hr events: I don't ask about the 12 hr format because I love them so much.  They just seem to be able to draw in people more than the 4 frame events, and I'm interested in trying whatever seems to work to boost numbers.

I wonder too if its a statistical deception - maybe the attendance numbers can't be validly compared to a 4 frame event because the nature of unlimited pilot lives and take-off windows every hour cause people to be double counted somehow?   Or maybe the 12hr format is a nightmare for scenario CMs and group leaders and they never want to run one again?  I could imagine that too.

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 07:55:21 AM »
I definitely prefer the 12-hour format, much easier to get one day to myself than 4 half-days.

Notice the low points in the chart seem to be in the dead middle of summer. Personally I am more likely to participate February - May, August - October. If you want to fit in three scenarios a year, I’d suggest one in late January/early February, one in May, and one in September.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 10:04:21 AM »
12 hours does spread through many time zones and some crazies (like me) sit through the entire event. I have participated in one 12 hour scenario so far (The Hardest day) and sitting through 12 hours of night time was pretty brutal. I felt like a zombie two days after the event so basically lost 2 additional days to the event. I could manage once a year though but if 4 hours from 12 is all I can do I would take it, better than nothing.
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 10:12:55 AM »
It also gives COs chances to actually fight the fight how they want and not be second guessed based on silly rules that no one actually tested and had someone take a look over them.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 12:29:17 PM »
I was checking a little more around AHEvents website and it appears the Battle of Kuban write-up has not been posted in the "Previous Scenarios" section.   Perhaps they stopped posting these write-ups.  That's unfortunate as the site is an excellent resource for someone like me who is in and out of the game for periods of time, and has a short memory besides.  :cool:

I'd like to encourage whoever maintains the site to continue to post the write-ups.  Its useful information, and people do look at them.   :salute
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 12:42:21 PM by oboe »

Offline KCDitto

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 02:07:51 PM »
The CM that wrote the code for that site is no longer a CM

To bad, it is a great loss to the community as well as the CM staff
Ditto  "WHITE 11"
"Masters of the Air" Scenario -JG54

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 03:38:01 PM »
12 hour scenarios FTW  :aok  :rock :rock :rock

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 04:01:26 PM »
ahevents.net links updated.

They point to pages on my site ( http://electraforge.com/brooke/flightsims/scenarios/scenarios.html ), which I keep updated.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:05:05 PM by Brooke »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 05:29:31 PM »
Sorry to hear about the loss of that CM, Ditto.  I hate to hear about stuff like that.

Thanks for updating the AH Events site, Brooke.  Much appreciated.   And I assume by your silence on my question about the 12-hr format, it's something you don't care to discuss.   Apologies for bringing it up if it is somehow a sore subject with you.

<S>

Offline KCDitto

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 06:32:35 PM »
We are not ignoring you

we are discussing it

The problem in a 12 hour format is that it has been one guy that has to do everything for the event

So that is setting up the arena  running logs  opening and closing arena and many other things so it really is a 15 hour event for that guy.

We are working out a way to share the tasks

Hope that answers your question
Ditto  "WHITE 11"
"Masters of the Air" Scenario -JG54

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 07:13:42 PM »
Yes Ditto, thanks - your answer matches one of my guesses about it.   I certainly understand how 15 hours is too much for a single individual, and  do appreciate the response.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 07:20:12 PM »
Howdy, Oboe.  No problem at all.  As Ditto says, I just need to go over some ideas with some other CM's first.

<S> to you, Oboe!  :aok

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 07:44:21 PM »
Rgr that, Brooke, thanks.    :salute