Author Topic: I love this game but no other game I play has me tabbing out to fill time in  (Read 28743 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Skuzzy,

With all due respect sir you are applying a mathematical solution to a problem that requires a practical solution.

The fact is with a 3 side war in the current game, even with 60 players a side, one of those sides is often left with nothing to do other than bomb empty bases in the hope the enemy will break away from the fight on their other front.

Truth is too many times we look at the map and see big dar bars over the other side as we twiddle our thumbs.

Kinda like the third wheel on a date.

Bingo.   That's the problem.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Limit the horde to 25% fuel and no good rides and they'll balance up right quick.

I'd take that bet in a heartbeat.  They'll whine, and they'll log.  Same as they do now with ENY.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
 :aok
Bingo.   That's the problem.
I agree, that is a big problem...PROBLEM IS  :uhoh How do you control Human Nature in a game,FAIRLY. It happens too ALL sides sooner or later,True. It sure sucks when it is happening to YOUR side...Swap sides for balance, would work UNTIL you go back home and get HATE PMS from those who you killed. May not even need to swap back for that to happen. We ALL KNOW those players. There is a lot of TOXIC BS that goes on , on a daily basis. All you need to do is look at 200 for 10 minutes. HOW on Gods green earth are we to expect HighTech to program this game too attract new players....WHEN WE(as a community) have trouble keeping the players we have NOW! I love this GENRE of a game, its honestly the only reason I am still here and stuck with it long enough to learn the game. Most of us are of the same mindset, we LOVE the game. Personally, I have a hard time even recommending this game to folk I know. Every new player is a Bomb Drop on a GV, or a Lucky Shot from a 20mm away from being harassed in PUBLIC or PRIVATE messages. Why would I promote THAT? Most of the problems that I come across are NOT something Dale or Skuzzy can fix. I am just thankful they havent just said "SCREW THIS" and quit on all of us.  :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
I'd love to see players always be able to switch to a country with fewer players -- but they can change to a country with more players only once very X hours as a limit.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
:aokI agree, that is a big problem...PROBLEM IS  :uhoh How do you control Human Nature in a game,FAIRLY. It happens too ALL sides sooner or later,True. It sure sucks when it is happening to YOUR side...Swap sides for balance, would work UNTIL you go back home and get HATE PMS from those who you killed. May not even need to swap back for that to happen. We ALL KNOW those players. There is a lot of TOXIC BS that goes on , on a daily basis. All you need to do is look at 200 for 10 minutes. HOW on Gods green earth are we to expect HighTech to program this game too attract new players....WHEN WE(as a community) have trouble keeping the players we have NOW! I love this GENRE of a game, its honestly the only reason I am still here and stuck with it long enough to learn the game. Most of us are of the same mindset, we LOVE the game. Personally, I have a hard time even recommending this game to folk I know. Every new player is a Bomb Drop on a GV, or a Lucky Shot from a 20mm away from being harassed in PUBLIC or PRIVATE messages. Why would I promote THAT? Most of the problems that I come across are NOT something Dale or Skuzzy can fix. I am just thankful they havent just said "SCREW THIS" and quit on all of us.  :uhoh

I think you're overstating it a bit.  The toxicity in this game at its worst is a mild Tuesday in a lot of other games.  Online play comes with its downside, and here we've got it good.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
I'd take that bet in a heartbeat.  They'll whine, and they'll log.  Same as they do now with ENY.

Wiley.

Okay by me.  I whine and log because there’s nothing to do. 

So we can keep doing what is no longer working or try something else. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Okay by me.  I whine and log because there’s nothing to do. 

So we can keep doing what is no longer working or try something else.

"Doing something" doesn't automatically improve the situation.  It could well make it worse.  So many people talk about how much better it would be if it was 2 sided, axis vs allies, yet somehow the AvA remains empty.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Here are a couple of HiTech's replies.
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,390473.msg5188686.html#msg5188686
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,390589.msg5188631.html#msg5188631

Well, that was 8 months ago, whats he working on now?  :devil

I think he might want to work on getting the game playable with a game controller.... xbox and such. I know that they are pretty useless, but if a default map can be made and loaded on detection it might make it a bit easier for some of these new players to get going. 

What were some of the exit interview reasons for not coming back? Is there no data? There has got to some common reason why such a large percentage of players dont come back.

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
Let me toss some numbers at you and maybe you will understand why 3 sides is better.

Take 60 players total.
Now, in a 3 sided war, there could be 20 players per country.  Giving each 20 player country 40 potential targets to shoot at.

Now, in a 2 sided war, there could be 30 players per country.  Giving each 30 player country 30 potential targets to shoot at.

Get it?

So when you all start coming back and saying the countries are not that balanced and yet complain about no targets to shoot at,.....the solution should become apparent.

You want more targets to shoot at?  Sooooo....

[yes, I am trying to lead that stubborn horse to water....]
Not being a jerk but do y’all log in at night?  Watch the ebb and flow of the fight?  That’s a serious question.  I can probably count on one hand the times I have actually seen a three country fight break out with decent numbers. Last night I logged in around 8pm est. double dar on both bish fronts. I attempted to up twice on both fronts not even sure I got my gear up. The numbers were bish 39 knights 43 and rook 39. I logged off. I don’t feel like flying almost two sectors from a back base to get to a horde that is gonna maul me anyway when I get there, guess how a new player is gonna feel?  If a three country system is such an enterprising idea why are all other games 2 country front fights?  I know about 10 bish that have quit due to the constant hording of a country every night they log on. It’s not enjoyable it’s not good for the game and damn not good as a welcome mat for new players.
There are a lot things that can help game play and three country front and eny are not those things. The 6 hour side switch does not help either

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
If a three country system is such an enterprising idea why are all other games 2 country front fights?

Name 1 other game that's open world base taking PvP like this.  The only one I know of is Planetside 2.  Take a guess how many sides they have.  There's something to it, contrary to popular belief.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
When I get back in the game I will spread the cheer of FROZEN MARGARITAS and all will be well again.

First thing I will do is replace all the worn blenders in the squad's P-38s. From there the cheer will spill out and all will have the Headhunters to shoot at.........
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
"Doing something" doesn't automatically improve the situation.  It could well make it worse.  So many people talk about how much better it would be if it was 2 sided, axis vs allies, yet somehow the AvA remains empty.

Wiley.

This is a straw man.  AvA is not the same as the Main, regardless the number of sides.  It's apples and oranges. 

You cannot compare them as equivalents for too many reasons to list, the most obvious being contained within the arena name(s).

Ultimately arena popularity is driven by critical mass.  In WB the AvA was popular and the Main was empty--until it wasn't.   Almost overnight.

Doing something doesn't mean just anything for no reason.    Change for the sake of change is bad.  That’s not what is being suggested/discussed/advocated in this case.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:53:34 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
I think just getting the players we have to participate in the conflict will help tremendously. Like I implied, there are too many tools in place which give players ways to contribute to the “war” effort without actually engaging in player vs player combat. These tools can be (and are) accomplished by AI.

Bases are the key. They’ve always driven combat but now they’re a little too difficult to take with the smaller numbers. It’s simply easier and more efficient to avoid conflict and snatch the undefended. I believe this is why things have devolved to one country getting hammered by the other two. It’s simply easier to take ground when there is little threat from a couple players on the undefended front. I believe that’s why no one will up from a base with a small darbar engaging it. The horded side gets frustrated and players start logging. Followed by ENY kicking in and the high numbers side starts logging too. Then we’re left with a big empty sandbox. I personally believe the M3 is to a large part responsible. One player can undo the effort of 5-10 in two minutes or less.

Just remove resup or make it exclusive to goons or something.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
wish there was a way to get new players to post in here what they find wrong with the game(their version) or what they like or dislike about it :joystick:
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
I think the fact people think 3 countries is better than two for creating action is hilarious.. what kind of logic is that??