Author Topic: I love this game but no other game I play has me tabbing out to fill time in  (Read 28596 times)

Offline VuduVee

• Nickel Member
You might believe that but it is false. My ideas have nothing to do with kills or score or any of that. The vast majority have to do with players interacting with one another which is the only reason to play this game online or pay for it.
ok thats fine, and i believe you think that way(teamwork/missions thinking). its just my opinion that a lot of these suggestions only cater to the fph/forum heroes. in my opinion, thats what killed the game in the first place. and if you notice the next comments, we see a few people seem to think that teamwork and battling the other team who is also using teamwork is a good thing.. and then whats his name says bingo and also says "Because fewer kills/opponents are so much more fun. /sarcasm" so in other words, he wants more kills and to hell with keeping new players. thats fine too. keep killing it.

Offline VuduVee

• Nickel Member
Teamwork vs teamwork from the other side is when it's at its best, that's for sure.  It's a shame it happens so rarely.  One side gets its nose bloodied and they just vanish.

Wiley.
yes, exactly. to me it seems that the fph's could care less about teamwork and missions. its the best part of this game and when thats gone. its useless to play.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
One reason that Fester's map worked so well even though it was large was, he had areas with great CV fights, areas for TT, even tho not my fav, and streams of bases where it would be 2 bases on each side with tank bases in the middle. This allowed for all 3 types of combat in a single area. This created large fights for everyone.

I find that most people love the game when there are big fights for all types of players, while still trying to take bases, in a specific area. When there is no "path" of bases, unorganized game play leave small dars all over with small fights. This leads to players flying for a while with minimal action, making it slow.

The map is the key!

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
ok thats fine, and i believe you think that way(teamwork/missions thinking). its just my opinion that a lot of these suggestions only cater to the fph/forum heroes. in my opinion, thats what killed the game in the first place. and if you notice the next comments, we see a few people seem to think that teamwork and battling the other team who is also using teamwork is a good thing.. and then whats his name says bingo and also says "Because fewer kills/opponents are so much more fun. /sarcasm" so in other words, he wants more kills and to hell with keeping new players. thats fine too. keep killing it.

No, whatever your name is,  I am refuting the ridiculous assertion that people wanting more kills is bad so people NOT wanting kills (and the associated interaction such an event requires) is somehow better. 

The name of the game is combat.  More combat means more kills.  IT'S THE NATURE OF THE BEAST. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 01:50:04 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
ACHOO is now officially in charge of this thread  :devil :old:

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
ACHOO is now officially in charge of this thread  :devil :old:

Now?   :police:
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Teamwork vs teamwork from the other side is when it's at its best, that's for sure.  It's a shame it happens so rarely.  One side gets its nose bloodied and they just vanish.

Wiley.

When I flew with the 47 Ronin under Odd our squad nights were about putting together some missions and working as a team to grab some bases or defend some bases. 

The discouraging thing in most cases were the defenders would always end up going for an alt advantage. We would come in at 10-12k loaded up for an attack and be BnZed by 10+ guys coming in from over 20k. Once, maybe twice and we were done with that base. Options were to continue feeding the alt monkies, or spend extra long times climbing out making squad night a one mission night. It got so bad It was the main reason Odd and number of other guys just called it quits. Another fine bunch of players gone.

We were looking for action, we were generating action (not hiding under dar or trying any sneaks), and all the other players were looking to do was pad their score.

Teamwork vs teamwork is great when both teams want to play. That was what made so many of the "squad vs squad" nights so much fun. Head to head strait up one side defends, the other side attacks. No tricks, no NOE, no capping at 20k+ just strait up fight it out. Battles for base could last for hours moving back and forth and having a number of regroups to get everyone back on the same page. Now its just hurry up, grab this base, move on to the next one.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
When I flew with the 47 Ronin under Odd our squad nights were about putting together some missions and working as a team to grab some bases or defend some bases. 

The discouraging thing in most cases were the defenders would always end up going for an alt advantage. We would come in at 10-12k loaded up for an attack and be BnZed by 10+ guys coming in from over 20k. Once, maybe twice and we were done with that base. Options were to continue feeding the alt monkies, or spend extra long times climbing out making squad night a one mission night. It got so bad It was the main reason Odd and number of other guys just called it quits. Another fine bunch of players gone.

We were looking for action, we were generating action (not hiding under dar or trying any sneaks), and all the other players were looking to do was pad their score.

Teamwork vs teamwork is great when both teams want to play. That was what made so many of the "squad vs squad" nights so much fun. Head to head strait up one side defends, the other side attacks. No tricks, no NOE, no capping at 20k+ just strait up fight it out. Battles for base could last for hours moving back and forth and having a number of regroups to get everyone back on the same page. Now its just hurry up, grab this base, move on to the next one.

This is why FSO is still the best part of the game. The events are usually designed to ensure balanced action in a reasonable amount of time.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Step outside of this thread and read it without having ownership of the comments and a few aspects can be seen concerning the lower numbers and the lack of gamer retainability. Many if you are talking about the same thing but you are using different semantics to describe it.

Things we do know:

Any relevant “help” requires that the player to tabs to a browser window to watch videos. This is an inconvenience and will and has pushed people away.

Community toxicity is a massive deterrent for new players. Believe it or not, your attitude can and will seep from the forums to the game. Who wants to deal with a loud mouth when you are trying to get help. Like it or not, you’re not funny or clever.

The size of the maps (which has been fixed, kind of) is another downside. time to target has impacted the game. Boredom causes people to, take a guess, leave.

There is no real solution set in place to handle the low numbers within a three sided war. Yes I understand what Skuzzy was talking about in reference to this one but the numbers spread tell the tale.

So these are the things that we know. Lets try to come up with some items that haven’t already been beaten to death.

It’s quite obvious that non of this will change. If it was going to it would have changed by now as these are the same issues that have been brought up for many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:39:48 PM by Ciaphas »
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
I'm funny AND clever.  Also handsome and a babe magnet.   :old:
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member

I guess that's where we differ.  To me that's the game.  You've got an enemy doing everything it can to kill you and you're doing the same.  You can either come in above them or deal with enemies above you.  That freedom's what makes it great.

What separates good gameplay from bad gameplay to me in a situation like that is what do they do once it's equal?  Do they run when they've got ammo and parts, or do they fight?  That's what separates fun from lameness IMO.

I'll never call someone down for running from a gang.  I'll laugh at them if they whine about it when the fight started out equal or shorthanded for the other side though.

Flying to control airspace is where I get my fun, it's its best when both sides are relatively equal and there's some ebb and flow.  It seems to me when there were more players there was more of that than there are these days.  Not sure if it's numbers or attitude change that it's rarer now.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline puller

• Gold Member
I read fugi's post and it says...'We were opposed in our missions and my squad rage quit'

Is that toxic?  :bolt:
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
I guess that's where we differ.  To me that's the game.  You've got an enemy doing everything it can to kill you and you're doing the same.  You can either come in above them or deal with enemies above you.  That freedom's what makes it great.

What separates good gameplay from bad gameplay to me in a situation like that is what do they do once it's equal?  Do they run when they've got ammo and parts, or do they fight?  That's what separates fun from lameness IMO.

I'll never call someone down for running from a gang.  I'll laugh at them if they whine about it when the fight started out equal or shorthanded for the other side though.

Flying to control airspace is where I get my fun, it's its best when both sides are relatively equal and there's some ebb and flow.  It seems to me when there were more players there was more of that than there are these days.  Not sure if it's numbers or attitude change that it's rarer now.

Wiley.

I dont agree. In the old days it was a game of combat. Squads fought for bases. It was more on the lines of a boxing match, everything was kept relatively equal. "our" skill against"your" skill. If the fight started at 10k, that was where it was for hours. Twist and turn, dive in a bomb or shoot ack or buildings, or dive out and RTB, for hours on end. Braggin rights for the team.... and more often than not the squad that held them off or took the base. The game was about the fight.

Any yahoo with a bit of plane control can pick from 20k. There are a large number of players who do nothing but this. Its "safer". Most of those guys haven't a clue on how to shake someone who does happen catch on to their tail. I never saw the draw of that type of fighting, its just boring, talk about a mind numbing, repetitious game that would be if that is what everyone did. Like LilMak said, "if everybody did it would it be good for the game?" Heck no.

Game play has "evolved" and the new version sucks and has a hard time maintaining customers. The low numbers prove that. If our "statistician" V    :P  is to be believe we have thousands of players trying the game out and leave. WHY? Because game play sucks. As the players we could make it better. Dont be a 20k picker, If 2 guys are on a lone guy dont be the third one in. Take it easy on the new guys. Be aware that YOU can make the game fun for the other guy, or you can make his game time suck and see him move on to another game.   

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 06:14:37 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Statistician?  Is that an official title?   :banana:
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
And folk wonder why(IMO the reason for this) The Alchemist and Flakhappy, back in AH2 ran missions NOE. If the 20k BNZs couldnt see you,it meant success! I cant wrap my head around your argument FUGI. Nothing in combat is SUPPOSED to be EQUAL OR FAIR. True this is a cartoon game and combat doesnt cost anything of VITAL importance, but the nature of combatants is STILL THE SAME. In this combat arena, the attitude has gone from Win or adjust your tactics...to a Win or I will just go home. If you do the same thing every time and get disappointing results...WHY is it the other guy's responsibility to change?  :uhoh I dont mean to come off as attacking you personally. it isnt my intention AT ALL. Its like every time you play, within the first 10 minutes you will be on 200 whinning about someone hoing you...like clockwork. How long have you played this game? You know its going to happen if you merge too close, so why not change your tactics. Its not the other guys job to change his, and why should he...if its working. BE THE CHANGE. Dodging ack and ho shots was first thing I learned. I know its coming, so I avoid it. Thats just how I think and its the really only thing I can point to about your game play..as an example.its not pointing fingers. If we want this game to thrive IT ISNT UP TO HT...its UP TO US. HT has done his part, and continuously tries to improve when its needed. TRUE, not every "NEED" is really a need. Its his sandbox, but I will be damned if I crap in it! I like playing in this sandbox and dont like to see others crap in it either. Does it get irritating....its SAND of coarse it does :uhoh Pretty sure of one thing...If there was something truly better, none of us would be here   :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain