Author Topic: Windows 10 for $5? Maybe . . .  (Read 730 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Windows 10 for $5? Maybe . . .
« on: July 16, 2018, 05:04:56 PM »
I was talking to a buddy of mine who has bought Windows 10 for incredibly low prices.

I thought those were either bogus or stolen keys, but I might have been wrong about that, because he's had no problem with it, and there are lots of vids on Youtube from system builders who have been doing that and having it work out fine.

He says the way to do it is go onto Ebay, search for "Windows 10 key", and buy an activation key from a place that is a certified trusted seller and/or has hundreds of reviews.  You then get the install ISO from the Microsoft site, or make your own install media such as with Windows Media Creation Tool.

There are lots of folks on Youtube saying this works, like this (one among many):
https://youtu.be/5uVXSaziXJ4

The next time I need Windows, I'm going to try it this way and see for myself.

IMPORTANT:  I would make sure to buy in a way that they don't know your credit card.  I'd use Paypal, for example.  Just in case places selling these are doing it as a loss leader to get your credit card.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Windows 10 for $5? Maybe . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 05:40:52 PM »
I just got win10 at my computer at work.  it took me about 10 minutes to get used to it.  still wouldnt have it on my home computer.

but your offer mentioned sounds too good to be true even if it works.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 09:41:20 PM »
To me windows 10 isnt even worth $5
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 02:38:35 AM »
most of these offers are scam with serials copied/made/generated in china. It may work for a time until M$ decides to block a number range.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 12:26:29 PM »
They may also be valid Windows 7 licenses from abandoned computers. Easy money for those who make their living by helping offices and schools to get rid of their old hardware featuring the license sticker. They still work during a fresh install. No hassle with choosing the right version or anything, simply install Win10 using the media downloaded from the Microsoft site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and enter the code from the sticker. The version will automatically be chosen to match the code.

Microsoft still wants as many Win10 users as they can get, they get their money from the information they gather through it.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 06:26:11 PM »
most of these offers are scam with serials copied/made/generated in china. It may work for a time until M$ decides to block a number range.

There are lots of ways to get legit cheap Windows/MS apps. For example if you work for certain organizations you can get MS Office for $10. MS practically gives away Windows in China.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 06:42:44 PM »
I gotta say that there is close to zero coherent authorative information on this subject, I installed win 10 on a used MOBO without a key or sticker or anything, it ran fine with a watermark very slight ignorable nagging to register and then it just became normal. Bizman says that it is because the mobo had a key recorded in its bios. I am halfway to thinking that they (MS) wants all its OS to be updated so it makes more sense to just give it away but not tell anyone. Also the information big data thing and the future not being selling 150 copies of OS.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 06:48:30 PM »
They’re gonna lock you in then charge bynthe keystroke.   Laugh away.  It’s coming.   Thank goodness for Linux. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 08:05:13 PM »
They’re gonna lock you in then charge bynthe keystroke.   Laugh away.  It’s coming.   Thank goodness for Linux.

They already do -- just secretly by logging lots of personal stuff.  That way, they can charge $100 *and* get money by the keystroke.  :aok