Author Topic: Lorene  (Read 767 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Lorene
« on: July 13, 2018, 05:13:38 AM »
Thanks to Lyric1 for finding me the info for this aircraft, which is an update of a skin originally done by Coprhed in 2009.

This was the P-47M of 2nd Lt Russell Kyler of the 61st FS of the 56th FG. He named it Lorene after his girlfriend and it even had a painting of her on the nose. Lt Kyler was wingman to the 56th FG's Polish pilot Major Mike Gladych and scored his first kill in September 1944. The kill tally on the aircraft shows five aerial kills and five ground kills.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Lorene
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 07:07:49 AM »
Wicked scheme.   What color is it supposed to be?   I think I remember flying this one.   Nice update. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 07:38:44 AM »
There's a bit of debate about the colour. One theory is that it is Jet Black, a glossy USAAF colour used to paint night fighters and bombers. Another is that some 56th FG pilots went round to a British car paint factors and got some black paint that had a hint of red in it. I've gone with the Jet Black option as it looks right compared to the colour photos I have seen of 61st FS P-47Ms.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 07:44:00 AM »
Lol, that makes it even better.   :cheers:
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 08:29:54 AM »
Most excellent
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 09:13:01 AM »

http://p47.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=127214

Russ Kyler was long on praise especially for the Polish ace Mike Gladych(Boleslaw was his real first name). Gladych taught him how to survive in aerial combat. Russ was Mike's wingman for several missions. Russ also flew several missions with another Pole in the 56th - Lanny Lanowski (who arguably flew the most distinctive black P-47M). Russ told me that Mike Gladych was still alive as of May 2008 and Russ called him and told him that he's coming to see Gladych next year for his birthday. Mike, who is well into his nineties, replied - "I don't do birthdays, anymore." Russ told him - "I'm coming anyway." Mike Gladych adopted the Buddhist religion, reportedly, and does not really care to talk about the war anymore.

Of course, I asked Russ about the famous P-47M black paint shade. Russ just laughed stating he had heard that question many times. He was absolute in his response, too - dead flat black - polished to high sheen to add a couple of MPH to his speed. No plum, no purple, no midnight indigo blue, either. He pointed out that the misinterpretation of the color was due to the usual reasons - difference in sunlight conditions and intensity, as well as, reflected colors from the surroundings. The late great 8th Air Force author, Roger Freeman, told me the same thing. As you might recall from my earlier posts, Roger used to bicycle around the Boxted field making notes on colors, markings and serial numbers with his mates. Roger told me he used to own a piece of panel from a scrapped 56th FG 61st FS black P-47M and it was as Russ stated - plain black - no other hues added.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 09:17:54 AM »
Beautiful and sure to be a crowd-pleaser among the Jugheads!

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 10:55:06 AM »
Nice skin!
I noticed a lot of 47m skins have very similar colors to them.. same with 47n, schemes are very similar.

Then you look at the d11, d25, d40 they all have a wide range of colors and patterns. 

Is this how they were historically, or just the schemes we have in game currently?

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 11:52:08 AM »
 :aok

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 11:53:56 AM »
Nice skin!
I noticed a lot of 47m skins have very similar colors to them.. same with 47n, schemes are very similar.

Then you look at the d11, d25, d40 they all have a wide range of colors and patterns. 

Is this how they were historically, or just the schemes we have in game currently?

Probably some of both.  There just weren't that many Ms (and Ns) built when compared to the Ds.

P-47D and G - 12,900+
P-47M - 130
P-47N - 1,800+
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 12:01:47 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 12:54:19 PM »
Nice skin!

Lots of fighter groups were equipped with the various P-47D variants in the ETO, MTO, PTO and SEAC theatres. While all these either came olive drab/grey or NMF from the factory there was a large variety of theatre, group, squadron and personal markings applied to them. However only the 56th Fighter Group was ever equipped with the P-47M. The 56th's 61st FS painted their aircraft black, the 62nd in an RAF-style green/grey scheme and the 63rd a blue/dark blue scheme. While the P-47N equipped a number of groups they were only used late in the war against the Japanese mainland. So the scheme used was essentially the same NMF plus various group nose and tail colours.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 03:32:28 PM »
Nice!  :aok

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 06:14:49 PM »
Looks good! <S>
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!