Author Topic: Bridge question  (Read 844 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Bridge question
« on: June 29, 2018, 01:52:40 AM »
For a bridge object in an MA terrain does the "Set to Terrain Alt" box have to be ticked or can I set its altitude to whatever I like? I'd like to reduce the height of my bridges a bit relative to the rivers they cross but I don't want to do that for 60 odd bridges, find out its wrong and then have to redo it again.

The reason I ask is that I seem to recall a rule that all objects in an MA terrain should be set to terrain alt, but I may be mis-remembering that. Besides if that was a rule it would have been written before bridges were introduced.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Bridge question
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 12:05:47 PM »
With the land set to 1ft and a river path laid down on it, I set my bridges to -90.

This also makes for a good angle to run a road all the way up to meet the road bed on the bridge and you can set the segment point elevations so that you have no road shoulder on the bridge berm. I discovered with Hitech introducing vehicle bounce on uneven terrain clutter, if the road shoulder is present on the end berm for a bridge. Your vehicle has to be on the road center when you start climbing up the berm to the bridge bed. That tiny bit of shoulder by default, if your vehicle was climbing the berm from an off angle from the road up to the bridge road bed. When the front quarter of the vehicle bounced upon meeting the shoulder to run up on it, part of the time the vehicle was tipped over on it's side rolling off the berm.

I'm halfway through lowering all of my bridges on the terrain to -90 and resetting the elevations of the road segments that run up to and meet the road bed from each end.

Hitech was very right, paths are irritating. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 12:29:29 PM »
I originally had the bridges at -80 alt relative to terrain but I reset them to terrain alt when I ran roads up to them. I'm going to have to redo all the bridges and roads soon due to an issue with water reflection which is why I am asking about the bridge alt. I can't see why it should be a problem to have them at a different alt but then I have regretted not asking this sort of question prior to doing a load of work before now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 12:43:45 PM »
Join the club. I'm resetting the elevations specifically for game play functionality. That is a much higher order of concern for me than reflections. Only a tiny number of nit pickers would even bother to bug report something like that. But, my bridges dumping tanks on their head from time to time would have people extremely unhappy with justified reason. Since it would be one tiny thing I was on the hook to test for. Now if I had opted to use barges for resupply, -75 and I would have had to put 5 or more segments on each berm end just to get the shoulder of the road path below the berm surface.

Kind of wish Hitech had some kind of a mask to run specifically to adjust the shoulder for road paths as they run up the end berms. Or Waffle would just paint a road up each end and then we only have to run a view only road to meet what is exposed of that. As is, if you run a convoy road over a bridge and will have tanks using the same bridge, you have to go through those same segment point elevation gyrations so the tank does not tip over. Irritating......
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 10:51:09 AM »
Todays release has a new options so you can set object height relative to the terrain.

HiTech

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 11:56:12 AM »
Thanks HT, height relative to terrain is a much better way of doing it. I won't be able to do much on my terrain for a month or two now though.