Author Topic: Carrying capacity of the Earth  (Read 15174 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Carrying capacity of the Earth
« Reply #210 on: August 02, 2018, 10:16:19 AM »
You do not need soil to grow plants.  Hydroponics have come a long way.  Makes vertical farming much easier.  You also do not need Sun light.  The UV needed to support plant life can be created with lamps.  You need solar panels to supply the electricity.  You need a good source of CO2 in the farm and be able to release the O2 buildup.

All these things have been worked out already.  The only thing holding it back is the initial cost of building it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #211 on: August 02, 2018, 10:34:45 AM »
You do not need soil to grow plants.  Hydroponics have come a long way.  Makes vertical farming much easier.  You also do not need Sun light.  The UV needed to support plant life can be created with lamps.  You need solar panels to supply the electricity.  You need a good source of CO2 in the farm and be able to release the O2 buildup.

All these things have been worked out already.  The only thing holding it back is the initial cost of building it.

While true enough, running the indoor grow lamps requires an enormous amount of electricity.   I haven't heard anyone - here on the east coast, at least - who thinks that solar panels or windmills will provide enough.

- oldman

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #213 on: August 02, 2018, 11:05:28 AM »

While true enough, running the indoor grow lamps requires an enormous amount of electricity.   I haven't heard anyone - here on the east coast, at least - who thinks that solar panels or windmills will provide enough.

- oldman

Don't tell these guys that. http://www.solarilluminations.com/solar-led-grow-lights/gl04-solar-grow-light

The target is a moving one.  There are breakthroughs in this technology happening all the time.  There was a time when we thought LED's could not be used as growth lamps, but that proved wrong too.  Panel efficiencies have improved dramatically over the last 10 years as well.

Today, I think it quite possible to solar power a vertical farm.  Not cheap to do though.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #214 on: August 02, 2018, 12:04:35 PM »
You do not need soil to grow plants.  Hydroponics have come a long way.  Makes vertical farming much easier.

As a Midwest boy growing up, corn fields are everywhere.  There was a certain movie during my early elementary days filmed twenty miles south of my prior home of Sioux City, IA back in the early 80s.

There's a good chance of a sequel titled "Children of the Cornfield Skyscraper"?
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #215 on: August 02, 2018, 01:23:31 PM »
Aliens must have made the earth heat and cool before humans.
Shhhhhh.  You'll let the secret out about the whales.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #216 on: August 02, 2018, 01:28:14 PM »
More importantly, what’s the carrying capacity of this thread?
...and I'm blown that Godwin's law hasn't appeared in it too! Depends on how much 'hot climate change wind' there is I guess. :D
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #217 on: August 02, 2018, 01:39:59 PM »
Ever here of MAD?  Mutual Assured Destruction.  We have enough nukes to get the job done.  Take millions of years for total recovery.

Oh I thought the topic was the destruction of the earth  :headscratch:
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #218 on: August 02, 2018, 03:34:37 PM »

Oh I thought the topic was the destruction of the earth  :headscratch:

The OP is about how much fauna and flora can the Earth provide for.  Then, the wisdom of the discussing committee here has evolved to electrical and power generation capability plus the usual end times scenarios.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #219 on: August 02, 2018, 04:06:52 PM »
Even if the food/water problems are sorted out, there will be a limiting factor of radically different ideologies.  That equates to violence and wars.  In fact, I'm going to say that's a bigger problem than food and water.  Take Israel for example.  A tiny country placed in the midst of radically different ideologically countries.  Of which have attempted (and continue to) to anihilate them on several occassions just due to their beliefs. 
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #220 on: August 02, 2018, 04:08:47 PM »
I'll get used to the green wafers......     :devil
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #221 on: August 02, 2018, 04:37:09 PM »
Careful with that word "intelligent" Dutch. The implications are far reaching. :)

I was talking about ants, plants and rabbits :rofl

DutchVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2018, 04:47:23 PM »

This guy is hilarious and does it at home with all sort of plant's!

DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #223 on: August 02, 2018, 04:54:32 PM »

I am perfecting the ability to grow plants in Tequila. This would knock out two birds with one stone.

Can you imagine tomato margaritas, okra margaritas.......... the list is never ending.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #224 on: August 02, 2018, 05:33:54 PM »
If all the animals die off, there is over 7 billion people on the planet.  I won't go hungry.  :devil