Author Topic: Lt. John C. Donnell, Jr. - P-51D "PIN UP GIRL" (L2*V) - 479th FG, 434th FS  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

434 squadron P-51's - looks like black strips to me..

Yes, but I have about fifty without them--one even has them removed except on the left elevator (the stab doesn't have them).

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/galleries/479th-fighter-squadron/nggallery/page/1

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/galleries/479th-fighter-squadron/nggallery/page/2

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/galleries/479th-fighter-squadron/nggallery/page/3

As time goes on you see no stripes.   So this airplane may have had them when it was just PIN UP GIRL but may not have had them by the time the girl figure was added (and the other name on the right side which I have no photos of).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 05:01:54 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member

Another squad mate from 434 - Lt James A Bouchier's P-51D.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
I think it would be a good idea to date these photos, if possible.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Could be a timing thing. The pictures you posted look like they have the rear-view mirrors on them - and since they were only operational just before D-day, could be a timeline thing? I'm guessing maybe the P-51's from early 45?

Major Olds P-51 pictured above (that one was SCAT#5) went through aircraft like mechanics go through sockets... and by war's end was flying #VII. 

So, black-strip, no black-strip, depends on the timeline I guess.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Could be a timing thing. The pictures you posted look like they have the rear-view mirrors on them - and since they were only operational just before D-day, could be a timeline thing? I'm guessing maybe the P-51's from early 45?

Major Olds P-51 pictured above (that one was SCAT#5) went through aircraft like mechanics go through sockets... and by war's end was flying #VII. 

So, black-strip, no black-strip, depends on the timeline I guess.

No mirrors.  No stripes.

Definitely they become rarer in 1945.  "PIN UP GIRL" was downed that February.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 05:47:29 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
I think it would be a good idea to date these photos, if possible.

I don't see any dates.  That American Air Museum website might have them though...
”KILLER V”

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
I don't see any dates.  That American Air Museum website might have them though...
Yeah, that is where I was doing my research - no dates but we do have something from the museum's website on the 434...

Lets focus on Olds' P-51's. Since Olds was assigned SCAT#5 in August WITH the black strip, and SCAT#5 with the 434 had the black stripe as did Bouchier's bird - and Bouchier lost that P-51D in December due to friendly-fire.  Pin-Up-Girl was lost in the spring of 45. And I know for a fact that SCAT VII had no black stripe - she was assigned to Olds in the spring of 45. Therefore...

...it's probably a safe bet that PUG had no black stripe at the time she went down.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 06:12:04 PM by Mister Fork »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Yeah, that is where I was doing my research - no dates but we do have something...

Lets focus on Olds' P-51's. Since Olds was assigned SCAT#5 in August WITH the black strip, and SCAT#5 with the 434 had the black stripe as did Bouchier's bird - and Bouchier lost that P-51D in December due to friendly-fire.  Pin-Up-Girl was lost in the spring of 45. And I know for a fact that SCAT VII had no black stripe - she was assigned to Olds in the spring of 45. Therefore...

...it's probably a safe bet that PUG had no black stripe at the time she went down.

Seems reasonable to me, especially in light of photo evidence that shows stripes were removed.    :cheers: :salute
”KILLER V”

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
 :aok

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
From the 479th FG Group History.   She clearly had depot applied black ID bands.  Note the lack of serial number on the tail, probably removed when they painted the rudder color

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Good find, but these are all before Lt. Donnell took over the airplane (and certainly well prior to his crash).  What I really need more than anything is one that shows the girl AND the wing bands.

If only I could read the names on the fuselage.   :bhead 

Excellent photos.  Some insight to be gained here.  The red on the chin inlet is something I wanted to know.  Same with the s/n.  Also the V is unusual.   Thank you.   :aok
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:27:15 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
The pilot in the above images is Hollister.  This is Donnell.  Pin up art there, black wing bands too.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Gold mine.   That’s what I needed.

Where did you find these?
”KILLER V”

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Understand that as new birds were sent to the groups they came to them with the latest Depot applied markings.  That stopped in early 45 when they quit with the black bands.  It didn't mean that planes all had them removed immediately.  This was done as time and manpower allowed.  All the photo evidence shows the standard Depot markings.  As Donnell went down in January 45, the odds of them having been removed are slim considering the images are from December 44.

All the images are from the 479th FG history by Terry Fairfield.

Note the mention of the right side name which was "Murial from Troy", which was the crew chief's wife from Troy New York
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
I’m aware that bands were not immediately removed.  But with nothing else to go on I was leaning toward them having been removed based on photos showing that very thing done to other airplanes in the squadron.  He was downed 15 February.   It is still a possibility, but at this point academic as you have eliminated most of the need for conjecture with these pics.  I can at least skin the bands knowing they were there at some point with the updated nose art. 

Thanks for digging them up.
”KILLER V”