Author Topic: Turret view low FPS  (Read 583 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Turret view low FPS
« on: August 03, 2018, 02:14:35 AM »
Never noticed it until Shilo mentioned it in a recent post: In GV's the frame rates are generally lower than in planes. On my system I noticed a drop from 60 to 45-50 when looking towards the woods in the pintle or driver position. However, looking at the same direction in the turret the frame rates dropped down to 22 at the lowest.

I did this testing offline on CraterMA, V59 South spawn with several vehicles to eliminate the issue of a certain spawn point having an extremely high polygon count. I also tested on some random places as well as rotating the view. There was quite some variation in the results, the common thing being that the Turret view roughly halved the FPS compared to other positions.

Could it be that the game draws a closeup view also behind the black surrounding and not only inside the circle?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Turret view low FPS
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 03:16:11 AM »
Could be all the details in terrains? Flowers in fields and constantly having to redraw tree detail while in motion? I DO NOT have this issue, I have Disable Ground clutter checked and tree detail at 1/3. The testing with different views(turret and observer,ect) seems to negate the impact of these settings...or not. I could see how in turret mode would possibly AGGRAVATE the impacts of those settings. Again...I havent seen these FR issues with my settings :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 05:59:24 AM »
I just tested it on my AMD 7950 @ 2560x1440 resolution.  The frame rate was cut in half from 55 to 27, no matter what was in view in the turret.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 12:28:55 PM »
Just tested this and I have no FPS drops testing with post lighting on or off and in turret zoomed and normal.

Win7 64bit GTX760
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 05:01:28 PM »
Just tested this on mine, GTX980 frame rate dropped from 60 fps to 18 fps. :headscratch:
That is in the gunner position. In the commanders position 60 fps in normal view, 31 fps zoomed in.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 05:07:07 PM by JimmyD3 »
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 01:49:01 AM »
I just tested it on my AMD 7950 @ 2560x1440 resolution.  The frame rate was cut in half from 55 to 27, no matter what was in view in the turret.
Thanks for confirming. GTX970 @ 2560x1600 here and a decade old E8500 Core2Duo.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 12:29:49 PM »
Doesn't the turret view have longer view on objects and clutter than position 1?

Edit:   Answer:   likey yes but that should be relieved by the smaller field of view which should yield higher frame rates in the turret.

You guys are on to something, I think.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »
If the zoomed in view is full screen behind the black frame, that would explain the lower FPS.

Way back in AH2 we had the issue of trains being rendered on the other side of the "globe". Maybe this is something similar, unseen objects being rendered.

Kotisivuni

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 01:21:52 PM »
So you mean stuff normally obscured by a hill or mountain is still taxing the system.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 08:20:08 PM »
Since I GV a lot I've noticed this since the start of AH3.  I just presumed it was an artifact of the dynamic tree detail algorithm.  It's noticed from GVs because they are close to lots of trees.  Trees at a distance are rendered at a lower LOD (level of detail) than those close.  If you zoom the view then obviously those distant trees must be rendered at a higher LOD, and, of course, the gunsight view in a tank is zoomed.  While the FOV is now less, the depth is more, i.e. there are a lot of trees at the relevant distance to render in high detail, so the frame rate drops. 

If you really want to see this in action go to a port (on a terrain with, I believe, the Mediterranean texture set) and go to F5 mode and look at the trees there from various angles, distances, and zoom factors.  On my system my frame rate is pegged at 60 in the air but can go down to the middle teens looking at the port trees in high zoom.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 12:11:34 PM »
If I remember correctly it is a fill rate issue. As you zoom in if you are looking threw many layers of trees, each draw is completely filling the screen. hence many overdraws.

HiTech