Author Topic: End of Full Dar  (Read 19837 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: End of Full Dar
« Reply #195 on: August 12, 2018, 12:51:33 PM »
That's a fair point, but the new dar settings are the equivalent to many of us of having the bar in the parking lot on a cold and drizzly night.
And yeah, I get it that this is "just a test." But it points to a direction HT intends to take the game in order to get new subscribers. I don't see things reverting back to how they were before the test, do you? Hence the angst.

One would think that people who have been playing the game for many years are more valuable customers to HT than any newbs who might be attracted to the more obvious activity on the map because they are:
1) potential mentors to newbs in a game that has a steep learning curve, and
2) because they've been dependably forking over $15/mo. all that time.

Here's hoping HT strikes a livable balance in that regard somehow. I frankly don't see it happening: for many, the cure is its own disease.

Hitech has posted that EVERYONE gets tired of a game and moves on. I think he siad it was something under 2 years and the majority of players leave. We are the abnormality, but we all knew we were abby-normal any way  :devil

For the game to be sustainable they have to have MORE new players coming in than old players leaving. Which old players really doesnt matter, 4 monther or 5 yearer, as long as there is more new players coming in than old leaving they are ok. Its called business.

While Im sure they are thankful for the loyalty of us long timers they certainly are not going to form the game around us.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #196 on: August 12, 2018, 01:03:34 PM »
So you can fly NOE but only over water.

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #197 on: August 12, 2018, 02:51:52 PM »

For the game to be sustainable they have to have MORE new players coming in than old players leaving. Which old players really doesnt matter, 4 monther or 5 yearer, as long as there is more new players coming in than old leaving they are ok. Its called business.

While Im sure they are thankful for the loyalty of us long timers they certainly are not going to form the game around us.

I'll address your last point first.

1) "Thankfulness for our loyalty" should barely be an afterthought for HT. He's got a business that he needs to run successfully. I agree that the game ought not be formed around oldtimers; but they are a resource that potentially can help the game grow again (and a continuing source of revenue, as I mentioned earlier). Players are finally seemingly starting to get it that newbs are more than a collection of scalps to wave around in triumph: they're the future of the game they enjoy. I've already noticed a more welcoming attitude toward star-less names. Hopefully, for the game's sake, things will proceed further in that direction.

2) I disagree with the "more coming in than going out" thing. Someone who has been here for years is a more reliable source for revenue than a new guy who is here today but will probably be gone tomorrow. I don't know what the break-even ratio would be, but clearly 1:1 is a losing proposition. Probably even 1:5 is.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #198 on: August 12, 2018, 03:09:15 PM »
I can explain 2+2=4 again but why bother?

Okay V I'll bite, why does 2+2=4?  :devil
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #199 on: August 12, 2018, 03:36:13 PM »
I'll address your last point first.

1) "Thankfulness for our loyalty" should barely be an afterthought for HT. He's got a business that he needs to run successfully. I agree that the game ought not be formed around oldtimers; but they are a resource that potentially can help the game grow again (and a continuing source of revenue, as I mentioned earlier). Players are finally seemingly starting to get it that newbs are more than a collection of scalps to wave around in triumph: they're the future of the game they enjoy. I've already noticed a more welcoming attitude toward star-less names. Hopefully, for the game's sake, things will proceed further in that direction.

2) I disagree with the "more coming in than going out" thing. Someone who has been here for years is a more reliable source for revenue than a new guy who is here today but will probably be gone tomorrow. I don't know what the break-even ratio would be, but clearly 1:1 is a losing proposition. Probably even 1:5 is.

As the numbers continue to drop how can you disagree with the "more coming in than going out" thing? Its simple math. If 50 people join a month, and 40 people leave.... no matter how long they have been here 10 x 14.95 = $149.50 more in HTC's coffers.

The changes HTC makes should all be geared toward that goal, of bringing in more players than leave.

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #200 on: August 12, 2018, 04:16:27 PM »
As the numbers continue to drop how can you disagree with the "more coming in than going out" thing? Its simple math. If 50 people join a month, and 40 people leave.... no matter how long they have been here 10 x 14.95 = $149.50 more in HTC's coffers.

The changes HTC makes should all be geared toward that goal, of bringing in more players than leave.

Because the people coming in due to all-seeing dar are a less reliable source of continuing income than the people going out because of it. They've proved they are here to stay (for quite a while anyway). Newbs are ephemeral.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #201 on: August 12, 2018, 04:19:19 PM »
Because the people coming in due to all-seeing dar are a less reliable source of continuing income than the people going out because of it. They've proved they are here to stay (for quite a while anyway). Newbs are ephemeral.

Yeah.  Real reliable.  That's why they are leaving.

Fugitive is right.    Loyalty has its place--it also has its limits.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #202 on: August 12, 2018, 04:20:21 PM »

Maybe, maybe not, still as long as more come in than leave HTC is golden. If you leave and 5 guys come in a buy only one month they are still ahead of the game.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #203 on: August 12, 2018, 04:33:34 PM »
Haven't played much of late...upped a N bomb truck a few bases back (as it climbs like a Lanc) Noticed a darbar in the adjacent/parallel sector...then a see a PLANE on dar (the oddity of the icon outside-the-ring part didn't sink in yet) and the guy is vectoring right in on me...I'm thinking "WTF?, is this another one of those 2nd account people?" My wep's burned up, though I dumped my ord I'm at 11k, 225 speed, now I gotta fight this guy, as well as the 109 who vectored in on me.... Awesome
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #204 on: August 12, 2018, 05:09:53 PM »
How many of you don't believe Hitech is performing a test of the radar?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #205 on: August 12, 2018, 05:28:23 PM »

Until something happens that they don't like and they cancel their accounts. Real friggen loyal they are... .
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #206 on: August 12, 2018, 07:39:14 PM »
Until something happens that they don't like and they cancel their accounts. Real friggen loyal they are... .

The people who are complaining most vociferously about the new dar system have all been here for many years; some even more than a decade. Customers should not be loyal to a product when that product (in their mind at least) degrades any more than HT should be loyal to such customers if he feels it costs him money. Capitalism 101.
Are you implying that I should continue to play the game, even though I don't consider it worth the time and money any more, because it used to be better and I had five happy years here?

Offline gpcustom

• Zinc Member
      • GPcustoms
« Reply #207 on: August 12, 2018, 07:54:08 PM »

Still have some hope things change. IMHO authentic is what made the game. Holding out hope but getting tired of the monthly expense for a game I no longer identify with. Nice to see you and a few still in here. Never posted much but a big fan of the game. Hope it survives what ever this business model is :old:
"There is one unalterable difference between a soldier and a civilian: the civilian never does more than he is paid to do."

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #208 on: August 12, 2018, 08:01:01 PM »
The people who are complaining most vociferously about the new dar system have all been here for many years; some even more than a decade.

The people who are SUPPORTING most vociferously the new dar system/TEST have all been here for many years; some even more than a decade.

I might also add that many of us contribute to the game in other ways--maps, skinning, etc.

*drops the mic*

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 08:14:26 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #209 on: August 12, 2018, 08:05:40 PM »

The people who are complaining most vociferously about the new dar system have all been here for many years; some even more than a decade. Customers should not be loyal to a product when that product (in their mind at least) degrades any more than HT should be loyal to such customers if he feels it costs him money. Capitalism 101.
Are you implying that I should continue to play the game, even though I don't consider it worth the time and money any more, because it used to be better and I had five happy years here?

Gonna try and speak in crayon for you:

[crayola]

H I T E C H  is testing new radar settings and combinations of these settings. Nothing is permanent and we will more than likely see several iterations before all is finalized. There are several reasons  why this is happening. One does not need to be in the "AcesHigh3 circle of trust" to figure most if it out.

You mean the 5 - 10 accounts that post on the forums and the same 5 - 10 accounts that would argue if someone called a skunk a polecat?

HiTech has to be loyal to his employees and that is only to the extent that the law makes provisions for.

As far as loyalty to the player base... . welcome to the real world. They NEED to keep the lights on, they NEED to pay employees, they DON'T NEED to make decisions for their company and product based on the views of a very small minority. They NEED to look towards the future of this sandbox platform and how to make it thrive regardless of the precious few that scream so loud about damn near anything that bumps their coffee mugs.

[/crayola]

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 08:24:39 PM by Ciaphas »
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario