Author Topic: End of Full Dar  (Read 19836 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: End of Full Dar
« Reply #315 on: August 15, 2018, 08:44:35 PM »
You guys keep saying this, but where is the evidence?  Do we have polls or exit interviews?  No.  Saying "it's a combat game" is simplistic; sure it is, but that doesn't mean people can't drop out due to beginners frustration. 

As I suggested elsewhere, it's more likely a learning curve issue. 

MH

There has ALWAYS been a learning curve. 

Ten minutes does not suggest much regarding a learning curve unless the player is going WTF and quitting without even trying. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #316 on: August 15, 2018, 09:53:02 PM »
I think it is the strict dress code.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #317 on: August 15, 2018, 10:57:58 PM »
He was talking about the PROBLEM.   Actively seeking combat is not a problem.  The *LACK* of it is a problem.

Just for the record, when I jump into my T34/85 at a flashing base, I AM actively seeking combat. You seem to assume if its not "your" type of combat, it doesn't count. With all due respect, that's acting like a spoiled child, "can't have it my way I'll throw a tantrum".  :noid
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #318 on: August 15, 2018, 11:46:40 PM »
With all due respect, that's acting like a spoiled child, "can't have it my way I'll throw a tantrum".  :noid

With all due respect isn't that EXACTLY what you did when you started this thread?

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #319 on: August 16, 2018, 12:17:00 AM »
I dont think the bardar system we have is really an issue.. it wasnt in back in the prime of this game, even going back to the early days when things were cranking up.  The problem is people not here to make those dar bars.  Would be kind of cool to see gv dar operate exactly like planes do, maybe a seperate set at the bottom of the sector.  You could have a darker colored red and green plane in the plane symbol dar, and have tank symbol in the gv dar to distinguish the two.  If the dar the the base is up, the icons for both show, if its down, they dont.  On top of all that, harden the dar to 1500 lbs.

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #320 on: August 16, 2018, 12:45:58 AM »
Listen, you either fall in love with the game or you don't. With that comes the time investment this game requires to become good. Any learning curve was overcome quicker with trainers back then that no longer exist.

This is problem #1 and has been for a long time. HTC doesn't care otherwise when the volunteers quit training the company would have stepped and provided trainers. It's just like maps, HTc has left in the hands of the community. Today only 1 player seems to be making maps making into the game.

At the end of the day it's his game and it's dieing ..
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #321 on: August 16, 2018, 01:37:59 AM »
the full darbar is gone why are you all still talking about it?3
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #322 on: August 16, 2018, 01:55:45 AM »
the full darbar is gone why are you all still talking about it?3

That comment makes no sense.  Dar bar is dar bar, and wasnt altered at all through these tests.  Dot or Icon dar was variable in these tests.

Do you have a problem with people discussing the game?

If you dont have anything constructive to type, why take the time?

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #323 on: August 16, 2018, 02:21:19 AM »
I dont think the bardar system we have is really an issue.. it wasnt in back in the prime of this game, even going back to the early days when things were cranking up.  The problem is people not here to make those dar bars.  Would be kind of cool to see gv dar operate exactly like planes do, maybe a seperate set at the bottom of the sector.  You could have a darker colored red and green plane in the plane symbol dar, and have tank symbol in the gv dar to distinguish the two.  If the dar the the base is up, the icons for both show, if its down, they dont.  On top of all that, harden the dar to 1500 lbs.
That is the best compromise I have seen! Maybe we could get HT to test this as well?  :rock ONLY problem I see with this....CYBRO will ABSOLUTELY OWN the proxy kill stats :rofl Maybe even tie the GV dar to percentage of town that is destroyed? The GV dar as I understand it,simulates Villagers giving action reports? Maybe even look at hardening town objects along side this? That would cut down on the 2 man base sneaks(complained about A LOT) and give more opportunity to get a defense started..just MHO
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 02:28:06 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #324 on: August 16, 2018, 03:37:29 AM »
No fights = boring.  Boring = quit.  Simple.

It is not about boring or not. It's about dopamine or not.

Your dopamine release seems to be fueled by kills, not fights. Even boring kills. Proof: Recently you were bragging on 200 about compressing your pony when attacking bombers. It looks like your need for dopamine was taking control over your actions - anything for the kill. Flying an untouchable plane with excessive energy surplus then switching off brain for a quick kill. That doesn't look like looking for a non-boring fight.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #325 on: August 16, 2018, 08:32:47 AM »
Boring = no dopamine production

Engaging the enemy = dopamine production

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #326 on: August 16, 2018, 09:46:33 AM »
Boring = no dopamine production

Engaging the enemy = dopamine production

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
your leaving out one of the most important variables this game used to offer...

Risk=reward

Time investment was a critical aspect to this game for years. It has been scaled back to such a degree that the risk of time investment is not worth the reward for a lot of elements this game used to offer. I know it's hard for a lot of bbs guys to wrap their mind on that. It's just a cold hard fact. The old argument "you players don't like to engage" is so ignorant it is silly. The only reason a player would avoid the action was due to the large time investment required to accomplish an objective. After many failed attempts players got smart and took the time to insure their investment was protected. The missions of entire squads attacking a target without flashing it was just a small element in a larger scale tactical war simulation.

GV dar is by far an absolute joke and always will be. A better alternative would have been an automated message scroll on country or 200 that told where 4 or more gv's were presently engaged with an opponent or attacking a base.
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #327 on: August 16, 2018, 09:54:06 AM »
With all due respect isn't that EXACTLY what you did when you started this thread?

No, I made a request to be notified when it was over, 1 time. I hardly think that qualifies as a tantrum. :neener:  :devil
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #328 on: August 16, 2018, 11:29:05 AM »
Just for the record, when I jump into my T34/85 at a flashing base, I AM actively seeking combat. You seem to assume if its not "your" type of combat, it doesn't count. With all due respect, that's acting like a spoiled child, "can't have it my way I'll throw a tantrum".  :noid

Your premise is entirely flawed.   People doing their utmost to avoid engaging other players is a problem with numbers at a low level.   Some fictional notion of "[my]" type of combat is not germane.

Nice try, Kenny.    :salute

With all due respect [Kenai77] isn't that EXACTLY what you did when you started this thread?

#Irony
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #329 on: August 16, 2018, 11:34:02 AM »
It is not about boring or not. It's about dopamine or not.

Your dopamine release seems to be fueled by kills, not fights. Even boring kills. Proof: Recently you were bragging on 200 about compressing your pony when attacking bombers. It looks like your need for dopamine was taking control over your actions - anything for the kill. Flying an untouchable plane with excessive energy surplus then switching off brain for a quick kill. That doesn't look like looking for a non-boring fight.

Bragging?  I was laughing my butt off.   That wasn't bragging.  If I wanted to brag I'd brag about killing four of your bombers for one loss (via collision, oops).

Fights = Dopamine.   Kills = Encouragement.   Compressing like a dummy from only 12K' = Hilarity.

And yeah, that's why I compressed because I was so shocked to find another con after 35 mins of looking that I just went for it.

So by all means, trash me some more with ad hominems and out-of-context commentary (without having all the details).  This is entertaining.   

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 11:45:30 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned