Author Topic: End of Full Dar  (Read 19836 times)

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
Re: End of Full Dar
« Reply #375 on: August 18, 2018, 02:26:47 AM »
Also, WBs was a total victory concept, so when it came down to the last few bases defenses really stiffened making for some great fights.   Here there really is no visceral sense of who is winning or losing.   I am always surprised to see a map won.  If you aren't constantly clicking on the war status button you really have no idea what the stakes are.

AH wars required a total victory, too, in the past. Or with three sides its probably better described as a total loss of one side, before the map was reset.

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #376 on: August 18, 2018, 02:38:12 AM »
AH wars required a total victory, too, in the past. Or with three sides its probably better described as a total loss of one side, before the map was reset.
I think now the best way to preserve the MA is to switch to a two sided war. Plain and simple no need to break it down anyone who is on bbs should see the need. It's about the only way I'm ever coming back at this point.
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #377 on: August 18, 2018, 03:54:46 AM »
think now the best way to preserve the MA is to switch to a two sided war.

I think so too.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 04:00:52 AM by nugetx »

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #378 on: August 18, 2018, 04:29:14 AM »
It's really not though, especially when you get all 3 sides with big fights. It's nice to be able to fight a different team and crew on the other side of the map.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #379 on: August 18, 2018, 04:33:56 AM »
Hitech,

Regarding your poll, perhaps there should be an "other" category for people who would like you to keep testing. I think the old way still needs work, but the new ways were still too... non strategic. I chose the old way because I don't completely like the tests for reasons. But I would like to keep testing instead of just resorting to a final solution from this poll.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #380 on: August 18, 2018, 06:27:13 AM »
and yet I have wasted at least a thousand more hours in the game than he has in the last 8 years.... So apples and oranges shuffler. With all respect it's a desk job :bolt: where as on my end it is just an escape that I had to pay just to get my butt handed to me long enough to where I learned how to adapt and overcome. Accomplishing many things you wouldn't even consider worth your own time.
Things entire squads would accomplish all by myself because I played so much at times I couldn't count on anyone else due to low numbers during dead hourse or simply diversifying my time investment into 3 accounts just to make sure the job got done .. because the numbers weren't there. Several players have done this with no action so I figured why can't I? They allow shades, why can't I run 3 PC's all on the same side
I'm just saying my rule 4 was not an attack but only percieved as such because skuzzy is on the outside looking in. Call it like I see it no offenses intended to skuzzy or V. I have been rule 4rd on some sketchy lines and I'm sure when he returns to his desk or logs in on a weekend I won't have this account and it will h
Be banned again... Wizz was tolerated until I became so loud mouthed on drunken rants over these very issues way before any of you saw it that the office said enough and banned me.

I even had an account banned and pc locked from game once. All over a rant involing the squad that folks on bbs seem to associate me with and my rant while drunk, over their handling of one of their senior members dislike of me switching sides and complete disrespect towards me because I went bish for 1 night due to no fights. I drunken ranted how that same behavior lead to some degree having one of their former members ending up Kia after they as a group pretty much did the same thing to him. They whined about it to Dale and having secretly recorded the rant and being so outspoken and troublesome on bbs over things everyone complains about today HTC said that's enough and flipped the switch . when the truth of the matter was they bully people and I had enough and finally let that squad have it... who just so happens quit this game and has dogged Dale and skuzzy for years over the mishandling of shades and other issues.

Now look at this game . . . Numbers are everything. All of the bad has surfaced to llthe point it's undeniable while bbs members attacked me while I was screaming "wolf" for 3 years.

When I get fed up I speak the truth and don't hold back. Censorship has protected this game until now. Numbers don't lie... It's broken, they think they can win with VR while cannabilizing what used to make this game great, and bask in the ego of the inner circle. Well that's just great, just ruin one of the greatest games of all time and let it die a slow painful death. It's like the game was a psyop that has ran it's course and is rotting away :(
 :cheers:

You have barely touched the game in comparison.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 18, 2018, 06:50:36 AM »
I agree with your points above.  What I wonder about though is if that's enough motivation for a lot of the current players.  Anytime you see people complaining about people running because they're "playing for score" what they usually actually mean is they're running because they're playing not to die.  By behavior I've seen, especially during the radar test, it seems to me the vast majority play not to get killed, regardless of what's going on in the area or the war.

Absolutely. For most players, score is just an afterthough most of the time (else they would play very differently and even take more risks than less).
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #382 on: August 18, 2018, 08:54:43 AM »
Nailed it. As the years have gone by the focus of the player population has become less about dogfighting and more about winning the war. If one's goal is base capture, dogfighting really isn't that relevant. Coming from AW and WB, base capture was a sideshow in our minds. Then again if all we wanted was dogfighting we'd all be in the wwI arena. Then again, again, back in the 90's I don't remember the AW wwI arena being empty. What were the arena pop numbers like when AWIII finally closed it's doors?

I think base capture GENERATES fights. Well it use to.  :devil

Missions use to run with fighter sweeps out front of the buff streams and heavy fighters bringing up the rear with the goon. Defenders would try to intercept the line of attack or cap the base (which never worked as good as the intercept). Todays players want only the smash and grab missions to move toward a quick base grab.

The old days it was all about the fight for the base...watching the map trying to anticipate where the next mission is heading.... getting up out in front of it.... find the goon!!! On the attackers side it was how many of which plane to load out to get the job done....knowing who your skilled players are to do what needed to be done.... who to have as back up to take out what is left that you KNOW wont miss.... planning routes to use the darbar to mislead the defenders..... and hiding that damn goon!!!  :x

Today "up heavy fighter, bomb everything, more on to the next base", or from the defenders side "up supply M3s and wait at town" or jump in a gun.

We played "war", these gamers just play a game.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #383 on: August 18, 2018, 09:21:20 AM »
There are other steps that could be taken to generate fights:

1. Limit the number of fields to:

2 large airfields, 4 medium airfields, 8 small air fields

2 large VB, 4 small VB

2 or 3 ports

1 city, 1 large airfield (uncap) 1 large VB (uncap), typhoons cal start objects

2. Make the maps a tad smaller

3. Switch to a two sided war

4. Add war progress to the clipboard map (not nested).

5. Bring low dar limit to 150 to 200ft

6. Remove GVdar block and trim some trees or leave the trees and keep gvdar block

If Radar associated with the field being flashed by a GV isn’t destroyed within X amount of time. GV location is shown with a dot until the base stops flashing.

7. Make strat targets worth hitting

8. Harden towns, radar tower and ords bunker a bit

9.  Use dots for aircraft on a 5 to 10 second delay for position reporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #384 on: August 18, 2018, 09:54:22 AM »

And base captures are generated by NOE, which is no more.

No NOE = no base capture = no fights.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #385 on: August 18, 2018, 10:02:59 AM »

Not necessarily. The only time an NOE mission generated a fight is when it failed due to one reason or another. Back in the days of 110/N1K/B26 raids and the like, the town went from 100% to 0% in a matter of 1 minute and the base was captured.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #386 on: August 18, 2018, 10:07:27 AM »
Not necessarily. The only time an NOE mission generated a fight is when it failed due to one reason or another. Back in the days of 110/N1K/B26 raids and the like, the town went from 100% to 0% in a matter of 1 minute and the base was captured.

Yes but in that time you could up from a nearby field to find plenty of low targets.

A fight is guaranteed, and if you would kill the lurking c47 the base would not be captured so fast,  and the fight could last for a long time, or they would cancel the attack, everything depends on the situation.

It was all thanks to NOE.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #387 on: August 18, 2018, 10:18:32 AM »

Let me tell you something, nuget, if our base captures that are NOT NOE don't attract a fight then NOE raids are not going to change that dynamic.

We rolled four or five bases again the other night one after the other...announcing our intentions on 200.   No uppers.  NONE.  Zero.   We even left the radar up a couple of times just so they could see us.  Not one upper from ANYWHERE near us.

Yes but in that time you could up from a nearby field to find plenty of low targets.

A fight is guaranteed, and if you would kill the lurking c47 the base would not be captured so fast,  and the fight could last for a long time, or they would cancel the attack, everything depends on the situation.

It was all thanks to NOE.

You're dreaming in technicolor, bruh.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #388 on: August 18, 2018, 10:23:16 AM »
You have barely touched the game in comparison.
Shuffler I humbly accept that statement. Some of the best times I ever had we're flying fighter sweeps with the best in the game. Hunting buffs on strat runs and engaging in long range GV battles in the old crater.

Playing to win the war gave me 3demensional capabilities on a grand scale that allowed strong influence on how a map played out. That was what appealed to me the most. I know that I'm whining a lot these days but the time investment required to play the game how I like to play it is far more difficult doing it all alone then it used to be. That may in fact be what HTC is wanting but the problem is a lack in numbers to where we have Resort it back 2 a horde friendly environment that becomes too one-sided on offense or defense.

Still I will bow to what you just said and accept that fact with positivity :salute
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #389 on: August 18, 2018, 10:25:52 AM »

Missions use to run with fighter sweeps out front of the buff streams and heavy fighters bringing up the rear with the goon. Defenders would try to intercept the line of attack or cap the base (which never worked as good as the intercept). Todays players want only the smash and grab missions to move toward a quick base grab.

The old days it was all about the fight for the base...watching the map trying to anticipate where the next mission is heading.... getting up out in front of it.... find the goon!!! On the attackers side it was how many of which plane to load out to get the job done....knowing who your skilled players are to do what needed to be done.... who to have as back up to take out what is left that you KNOW wont miss.... planning routes to use the darbar to mislead the defenders..... and hiding that damn goon!!!  :x

Today "up heavy fighter, bomb everything, more on to the next base", or from the defenders side "up supply M3s and wait at town" or jump in a gun.

We played "war", these gamers just play a game.
spot on fugi can't believe for once I agree with you haha

With that said the game has degenerated due to declining numbers steadily in the last 3 years. Tends to force people away from what used to work "the right way."