Author Topic: Maybe another flakker  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Maybe another flakker
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 09:46:36 PM »
Dang and I thought the Wirb was for stopping unskilled turds who vulch fields, my bad. Thanks for the correction. :devil

Vulching takes incredible skill.    :old:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 10:38:15 PM »
Do the horizontal lines each represent hold over for 1k of distance?

Not holdover, AA gunners were taught early on to use tracers to help judge lead before lead adjusting AA sights came about. Spotters would manually input range untill the MK18 for the NAVY bofors. There are factors in the real 40mm reticle to help judge effective range while the horizontal lines are slew lines to help hold a steady slew. Kind of like a visual mental bench rest. The lines are set to know ranges of 1000, 1500 for the wirble since max effective range is 1500. For the osti, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500. As an aircraft travels at you or past you think in terms of connecting the dots on elevation meaning range while slewing holding that range line and accounting for lead. You do it already in a wirbel by experience, the tracers and guessing speed of the con traveling past.

I tested it tonight since I was trapped by the radar. Killed 7 before my turret was killed and the tanks showed up. If this radar becomes standard I think osti's will become popular becasue you can take down low carpet bombing bombers farther away. I just took the default gunsights for the wirble and osti, pulled horizontal lines at the range ticks. Duplicated those above the center horizontal line once it occured to me how the 40mm Nimrod reticle was used in WW2. Pretty clever way not to need a range spotter. The Hungarian AA illuminated gunsight itself has no elevation input knob like the Hungarian illuminated gunsight for shooting AP tank rounds. That one feature was what helped me understand the slew lines.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 11:08:02 PM »
  I love shooting skeet, but using the osty or 37mm manned gun id like doing it with a .22 rifle.  We tried out the full dar tonight to make It easier to play this sim.  I do well enough with the 160 rpm 37mm, but It is frustrating for less proficient shooters.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 12:46:54 AM »
lyric,

Remember that Hungarian 40mm Nimrod info you sent me about the gunsight used in it? I finally figured out how it works and adapted it for the osti and wirble. You need to know what those "slew" lines represent. Once I discovered that, it's pretty simple and works really good. Problem with the Germans is their AA tactic required a person to use an additional optics to judge range while manually inputting that to the gunner's gunsight. The Nimrod gunsight works for a solo gunner. Consider those bigger rings a training wheel to remove some guesswork. The empty space in the center substitutes for the Nimrod reticle center ring. 

Hungarian 40mm Nimrod reticle for the 40mm Bofors AA gun.

(Image removed from quote.)

Ostwind and Wirbelwind adpaptation for 37mm and 20mm.

Yes I do.
Looks like you figured a way to make it work but that's not how the Nimrod was set up.

Since it took two guys to crank 1 for vertical and the other for horizontal each of the sights would be a vertical and horizontal sight for the Nimrod. Ostwind and wirbel had 1 guy who cranked both slews.

Wirbel.

Nimrod.

Nimrod needed a range finder as well.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 02:52:48 PM »
I did better translating german and russian. Hungarian came out worse goober than russian at times. I worked with the 40mm reticle since it was AA. And the gunsight for it had no director input like the ones used on ostie's. The 40mm AA gunsight looks like a license built Collimatore San Giorgio for bomber turret positions. The slew lines 2000 and closer act like lineup dots leading the tracers when you connect them. Seven planes last night in a wirble where I had 700 rounds left when my turret was taken out proved how well the slew lines work.

These two reticles make both AA wagon guns more accurate 400-1500 becasue of the slew lines. A lot of rounds have to be sent down range even in the real world to hit aircraft 2000+. I notice the pictures of deployed Nimrod show them in batteries.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 01:04:22 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 03:05:37 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 11:57:49 AM »
    My system is to bypass the sights and point shoot.  I get over the gun.  I don't use a gunsight in fighters or bombers either.