Author Topic: A Six-pack of Cold Ones  (Read 420 times)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
A Six-pack of Cold Ones
« on: March 25, 2021, 11:14:38 PM »
This post is specifically for the special default skins I created for the Russia Winter terrain. None of these skins will be submitted to Hitech.

Bf 110C of Stabstaffel./St.G. 1.

I had originally began to skin an accurate rendition of a 110 from this unit, "Green G", but I was not satisfied with the partial whitewash patterns I was creating for that skin. In the name of saving time, I created a fictional "Green C" with an overall whitewash. I will revisit the original scheme later.

Stabstaffel./St.G. 1 was the command squadron of Sturzkampfgeschwader 1 and was equipped with Bf 110's while the squadrons under its command all had Ju 87 Stukas. The Stabstaffel would use the 110's for fast strikes and recon sorties. Between the January 1942 and October 1943, they were the sole 110 unit in northwest Russia; flying combat sorties as far north as Leningrad and as far south as Kursk.

Bf 110G-2 of Stabstaffel./St.G. 1.

Completely fictional. I cannot find any photos of any of the 110G's used by Stabstaffel./St.G. 1.

P-40E of 196 IAP

No photos of this plane seem to exist despite there being a plethora of artist's profiles of it. Usually depicted with white winter paint, the only consistent details across all profiles is the markings of "Red 20" and a star on the tail as well as the replacement of the Allison engine with a Russian Klimov M-105 taken from a Yak-1 or LaGG-3. I chose to paint the plane with Russian green and blue under the whitewash.

Bf 109F-4 of 1./Jg 51

"White 4" was the personal mount of Rudolf Nielinger. This skin could be sent to Hitech, but since I will soon finish a similar(and cooler) scheme from 2./Jg 51 that will be sent for inclusion, I decided that "White 4" will be just special for this terrain. It is similar enough to the IV/Jg 51 109F's that were still in use by that group until they finally began to transition into the Fw 190 - nearly 6 months after the rest of Jg 51 in Russia.

Fw190A-5 of 2./Jg 51

In reality a 190A-3, and thus not allowed to be skinned on the A-5 for normal skins. The full color emblems look great on Jg 51's Focke Wulfs, but unfortunately, they stopped painting emblems on their planes in winter of 1942-43 as they began receiving A-4 and A-5 models - which are allowed in game.

I/Jg 51 was the first unit to use the Fw 190 in Russia, beginning in late August 1942. This skin represents one of those first 190's with a whitewash applied over the original green camouflage.

Bf 109G-2 of 7./Jg 54

Based solely on a color profile, this skin features the very unusual use of blue numerals and tactical markings. I can find no evidence of this ever being the case, in either pictures or text. It is possible given that 7./Jg 54 would normally use white numbers that the commander decided that in the winter of 1942-43 that they would use blue for better contrast - but photos of the other squadrons in Jg 54 that use white numbers, 1 and 4, show that this continued even when the whitewashes were applied. The blue looks great but it's accuracy is very questionable.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: A Six-pack of Cold Ones
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 12:44:59 AM »
All very nicely done.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 03:21:58 AM »
 :aok

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 04:20:22 AM »
Nice group of winter skins Devil.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 08:56:36 AM »
Good looking set!

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 04:37:14 PM »
Incredible contributions to our community! Thank you! <S>
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 09:45:37 AM »
very nice work
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member