Author Topic: P-51B "KH616" (CV-J) - 3 Squadron RAAF by Kev367th - Spec Map Update  (Read 2776 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: P-51B "KH616" (CV-J) - 3 Squadron RAAF by Kev367th - Spec Map Update
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 01:57:18 AM »
I'm not buying the dope portion, the red in the roundels is very dark in the image.

A fuel spill eating through the paint? maybe. The problem is that spilled fuel should flow down to the rear if spilled. so barring some fool spraying fuel forward/up the wing and it removing paint on the gear door perfectly perpendicular to the direction it would flow off the wing - and also almost perfectly in line with the inboard edge of the removed paint on the wing with the door closed.

Sorry. That's a white painted stripe in my mind.

Found a cleaner image and possibly the same plane with the spinner having the paint chipped off like the first photo in the second image. Stripe is there. The early diamond version along with two others show no paint on top though. Maybe just the undersides were done? Looked at a few other B versions with 3 squadron none that I can see have the undersides done either,maybe just on the plane in question?

None in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VShn7X2JYYE

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: P-51B "KH616" (CV-J) - 3 Squadron RAAF by Kev367th - Spec Map Update
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 07:18:39 PM »
I may have to tackle this one sooner than later.  Agree with Devil.   That is definitely a stripe of some type. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)