Author Topic: My opinion on your test  (Read 6718 times)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
My opinion on your test
« on: August 13, 2018, 05:05:00 PM »
I just thought i would whine a bit, also known to normal people as sharing my opinion.  The radar test seemed silly to me, it worked great the way it was, and is currently.

It wasnt a matter of folks finding fights in your game, it was/is the fact that your game isnt generating fights a lot of times.

Map sizes, strats/towns being resupplied to easily when a guy spends 1+ hour of his time to get there.. things of that nature that really contradict eachother.

Keep it simple, gv dar is overkill, make a gv dar that shows a guy is in a sector, not right where he is in the sector.

Go back to your bread and butter, what made the game.

Whine over.

PS.. i would have shared my opinion in your new online poll, but i didnt have the option to type it there.  I think those polls are great, make them weekly if you can.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:56:23 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Dragdad

• Zinc Member
Re: My opinion on your test
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 05:27:25 PM »
I am inclined to agree about GV dar. I liked radar the old way, but I think that the radar tower is too easy to kill. It should take two or three passes to gun it down, or more bombs than it does currently... Just my useless opinion.
I was abandoned as a child and raised by feral weener dogs. To this day, I can't bring myself to eat a ballpark frank.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 09:39:55 PM »
+10
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 09:54:57 PM »
I am inclined to agree about GV dar. I liked radar the old way, but I think that the radar tower is too easy to kill. It should take two or three passes to gun it down, or more bombs than it does currently... Just my useless opinion.

Agree.

I think dar should be much harder to kill.  In fact, I'd prefer it was the same hardness and the same downtime as a hangar.  It could still be destroyed as part of an attack, but not as the last act of a smoking Spitfire.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 09:57:33 PM »
Agree.

I think dar should be much harder to kill.  In fact, I'd prefer it was the same hardness and the same downtime as a hangar.  It could still be destroyed as part of an attack, but not as the last act of a smoking Spitfire.
agree

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 09:58:30 PM »
I personally think that if you land on a planet with really tall women you should greet them by saying, "take me to your ladder, see your leader later".
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 10:07:24 PM »
GV icons need to be implemented or a drastic reduction in trees ought to enacted in its stead. Today, as my own personal test, I drive a Sherman rocket Tąnk to with 2k of a town, parked under a tree, and went to work. For the first 30 mins I observed F6fs Hurri2, and storchs fly within 300 yds of my position. I then minimized AH went and did some admin crap that I normally do on my days off, maximized AH, and after 2 hours my Tąnk was still there unscathed. From my personal experience of being a noob and sucking more then ⛈ Daniels in the air, I gravitated towards GVS. I can guarantee you that if game play were then as it is now, I would have bailed. As for air combat, being a somewhat competent vet, I figured out how to find my own action. I however understand that most noobs will lack that ability, hence the action must be easily identified.

Chuikov

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 10:09:35 PM »
GV icons need to be implemented or a drastic reduction in trees ought to enacted in its stead. Today, as my own personal test, I drive a Sherman rocket Tąnk to with 2k of a town, parked under a tree, and went to work. For the first 30 mins I observed F6fs Hurri2, and storchs fly within 300 yds of my position. I then minimized AH went and did some admin crap that I normally do on my days off, maximized AH, and after 2 hours my Tąnk was still there unscathed. From my personal experience of being a noob and sucking more then ⛈ Daniels in the air, I gravitated towards GVS. I can guarantee you that if game play were then as it is now, I would have bailed. As for air combat, being a somewhat competent vet, I figured out how to find my own action. I however understand that most noobs will lack that ability, hence the action must be easily identified.

Clearly the others did not choose to use / do not know how to use AH Film viewer then. Had that been me and seen this happening for an extended period - I'd be hunting your prettythang down in a heartbeat :D

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 10:34:42 PM »
No, you couldn’t. The film viewer may have given you a 90,000 square yard area to look. You would need 3-4 sets of lancs to carpet bomb that area to get me. Even with the icons on I was forced to gun down multiple sets of trees in a terrain with far less wooded areas looking for hit sprites to locate a gv.

Chuikov

Offline horble

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 10:56:11 PM »
Clearly the others did not choose to use / do not know how to use AH Film viewer then. Had that been me and seen this happening for an extended period - I'd be hunting your prettythang down in a heartbeat :D

I guess we should have a training page for noobs to close the game and open up the film viewer to find something to kill then?
Kommando Nowotny

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 02:52:27 AM »
I just thought i would whine a bit, also known to normal people as sharing my opinion.  The radar test seemed silly to me, it worked great the way it was, and is currently.

It wasnt a matter of folks finding fights in your game, it was/is the fact that your game isnt generating fights a lot of times.

Map sizes, strats/towns being resupplied to easily when a guy spends 1+ hour of his time to get there.. things of that nature that really contradict eachother.

Keep it simple, gv dar is overkill, make a gv dar that shows a guy is in a sector, not right where he is in the sector.

Go back to your bread and butter, what made the game.

Whine over.

PS.. i would have shared my opinion in your new online poll, but i didnt have the option to type it there.  I think those polls are great, make them weekly if you can.

Actually I thought the dots ( in AH II) were better, you knew it was an intruder....but you had to fly out to it to see if it was a bomber or just a fighter. and GV's....they were not even a dot....unless you disco'd ......the graphics  are better in AH III but the Icons and GV dar just ruin it. I mean what good are the graphics when your at 10k.....looks the same as AH II did. Let me know when the GV dar and Icon are gone....I'll gladly come back and so will the folks who left for the same reasons........I can truthfully say Aces High was a good game

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 03:18:54 AM »

There should be no need to "find" a fight. The fight should find the player.

There's two problems:

Winning the war doesn't generate much fights, as you described. Stuff on the ground provides a delegate for the enemy, even more as it is the only thing that moves borders.

For the vocal mimority on the forum there is another problem: The setting doesn't generate a furball or even a fair 1vs1. So they have to go on a search to find that artificial thing.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 11:05:32 AM »
gv icon range was shortened to help gvs "hide". Now that we have all these trees why not get rid of the gv dar box and return the icon range back to what it was. Add a third darbar to indicate gvs in the sector.

I agree the radar should be on the same schedule as the hangers (15 minutes down). I think with these changes most of the gv guys would be happy. It would bring back the hunt again and the trees would provide the protection the short range dar does now without making them invisible.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 12:42:40 PM »
I wonder how many of us had to tick a random checkbox to enter an arena after months not spending time in the MA?
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 01:13:14 PM »
I did....popped my head in last night after a few months off....early morning for most of you....and had to make a choice....