Author Topic: Aces High 'Classic'?  (Read 20484 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Aces High 'Classic'?
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2018, 03:22:24 PM »
Our peek was Feb 2009. The start of the decline was completely due to the economy.

HiTech

This.

/Thread

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2018, 03:36:48 PM »
I've been playing this game for a little while and I remember having to wait in cue to get into the orange arena I think it was... Kept hitting the enter button until someone logged or discoed... Much fun then and still fun to be had now I'm not going anywhere
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2018, 03:37:39 PM »
More than anything I think it's the XBOX/PS generation of players that did AH in. Back in the day we was way more into the history of the planes and the war.

The economy didn't help.... but IRACING started on Aug. 26, 2008 during  that "bad economy" and how has 70,000 members, why did they make it work?

That many more people want to be race car drivers than fighter pilots?

CAV
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2018, 03:40:01 PM »
nuget you have yet to argue in any manner but how internet trolls who copy each other's style argue. At least so far your style doesn't appear to be a robot troll account but, sometimes an account used by multiple people or someone trying to not be themselves. Whom ever is at the keyboard makes the mistake of slipping between acting like a teenager to deflect attention from the moments you suddenly use generalized dismissive's like a grownup many years older. This has become like watching someone with a limited set of ACM skills become predictable. You initially present from a youthful "construct" position to sand bag people then when pushed into a corner someone else older for a moment responds.

The combined experience of this audience with internet personalities is catching on also it appears.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2018, 03:43:35 PM »

CAV

Absolutely.

WWII is now over 70 years away, you will hardly find as many young people exposed to and fascinated by (in?) WWII combat airplanes today that back when most of us where young. It's even more pronounced over here. Twenty year olds mostly don't even have grandparents anymore who could remember the 40s.
That's just they way the times are changing.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2018, 03:44:38 PM »
Absolutely.

WWII is now over 70 years away, you will hardly find as many young people exposed to and fascinated by (in?) WWII combat airplanes today that back when most of us where young. It's even more pronounced over here. Twenty year olds mostly don't even have grandparents anymore who could remember the 40s.
That's just they way the times are changing.

Even the Confederate Air Force has expanded its mission beyond WWII.   WWII is fading in memory and interest.   It's just the way it is.
”KILLER V”

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2018, 04:19:25 PM »
Yeah me being me went 4 months without checking one of my email accounts and missed my open offer to help with the closed  alpha/beta testing back when iRacing was first starting out....i had 2 different people who sent me the invite... Whels and another AH player who knew me back in the iNet Nascar gaming days

I hated that I missed out on that....

My last and final time of alpha and beta testing any new up and coming game was "world of planes" now called "War Thunder" ...... One of the most dissapointing experiences of all the different games that I have had the opportunity to alpha/beta test.....

Aces High is the only thing I still love and care about....

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2018, 06:05:22 PM »
I think the best of AH but it really is down to competition. The economic decline sure made it worse but now everyone and his dog has a flight sim.

One of the biggest events was games like WOT being classified as a MMO (by the guiness world record book). These instanciated 50vs50/etc games with carry over achivements/upgrades have nothing to do with MMOs in all honesty.

AH correctly follows the line of MMO tradition and it doesnt get what credit it should for it. While other games not nearly as well put together/planned/loved get all these undeserved tags that lead people away from the proper experience.

Expectations are a hard monster to deal with.

On a side note: Has anyone thought of the potential of the mobile market with AH? Are games like this even viable on such a system?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 06:09:28 PM by AAIK »

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2018, 06:11:50 PM »
AH didn't lose the player numbers after any specific change. AH lost players gradually after early 2008 without any substantial changes being made. The was no 'golden' version of AH that everybody played until "things were changed".

Lusche gets it.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2018, 06:22:21 PM »
Trolls can't be bargained with. 
They can't be reasoned with. 
They don't feel pity. 
Or remorse. 
Or fear.
And they absolutely will not stop.
Ever. 
Until they are banned.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2018, 06:37:15 PM »
Trolls can't be bargained with. 
They can't be reasoned with. 
They don't feel pity. 
Or remorse. 
Or fear.
And they absolutely will not stop.
Ever. 
Until they are banned.

One time I was walking and saw this fat lady.
She fell down and I laughed.
Then I thought, "What if I were an ant, and she fell on me?   That wouldn't be very funny."

- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey
”KILLER V”

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2018, 07:07:50 PM »
Our peek was Feb 2009. The start of the decline was completely due to the economy.

HiTech

I think the armchair CEO's of this conversation are dinging Hitech for not hopping on a band wagon and changing his game into the other games becasue all the kool kids were doing it to get the rubes into the tent. Not having skin in Hitech's business, and won't suffer any consequences, they want Hitech to fail to justify their inflexible feelings about how he cheated them out of their good thing. They want to textually pound Hitech into failure in his forum one customer at a time or, dance on his company's grave becasue they "feel" he cheated them out of their game fix while they ran away from the game over unspecified hurt feelings. The economy probably had something to do with it but, why let that get in the way of a good character assassination.

You can see the evidence of this by how hard they work to undercut his company in everyone's eyes with their personal recriminations. They don't want to accept the world economy tanked and people didn't have an extra $14.95 to spend for entertainment. It's been almost 10 years and the economy is recovering while during that decade companies saw "freemium" content as a way to continue making money in a down world economy. Flash, glitz and instant piu, piu, piu ruled this last decade which is not Aces High. And many of them keep inferring that Hitech could do even better flash and glitz if he would just listen to them and stop being so inflexible. Eventually it all comes down to their last argument of trying to paint him as out of touch and loosing his bearings becasue he has been around too long and has now become unfit to know anything about online games.

After all, they are game industry experts and are here to unload both barrels of pure truth as they see it or some nonsense like that. Heck, AkAk has worked in the gaming industry for 20 years and they even tell him to pound sand. Some really tough gaming CEO's they is......
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Biggamer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2018, 07:18:35 PM »
those other games are putting out new tanks/planes/cars out on a regular basis. when was our last one? 

they have better graphics but we can support 1300 people in a arena that we cant get 300 people in

they communicate with their community on projects being worked on and give a time frame we are left in the dark

when other games our putting out new things every 1-3 months and we are waiting years well  people are gonna start to move to the newer things over time.

Iracing you gotta buy Tracks and cars each of them $12-$15 a pop over a thousand dollars in content and it cost $13 a monthly fee.

while Tanks/ships is free dang near no one plays without a premium account. they say free and sucker money out in other ways

world of warcraft is 14.95 a month as well

i dont think our 14.95 is harsh at all but the fact that our game mechanics never change and all the other games do really hurts us and i hate it because i love Aces high so much but it has become boring after doing the same thing for 10 years.
G3-MF

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2018, 07:19:50 PM »
I don't know the reason AH lost players but Im betting this is why we can not keep new ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu4YBHn1ZOI
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2018, 08:00:29 PM »
More than anything I think it's the XBOX/PS generation of players that did AH in. Back in the day we was way more into the history of the planes and the war.

The economy didn't help.... but IRACING started on Aug. 26, 2008 during  that "bad economy" and how has 70,000 members, why did they make it work?

CAV
Yep.  I don't doubt the economy was an issue, but it has been doing better for some time.  IMO it's the consumer who has changed.   :frown:  Going to an AH "Classic" is only going to make things worse.
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart