Author Topic: Clearing the Phillipines....some thoughts  (Read 1057 times)

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
Clearing the Phillipines....some thoughts
« on: December 08, 2001, 01:20:00 AM »
Well, now that my first official TOD as a CM is over, I would like to take the time to thank all of you for showing up and I hope you had as much fun as I did.  I know we had a couple of tough moments with regards to side balancing, but the further in we go with this TOD series the better it can get.  Once we get to the point where we can weed out the squads that arent quite as dedicated to being there each week, things can and will run much smoother.  <S> to all who participated!!!  

On another note, I want to re-post some stuff I posted in another thread last week regarding some issues that we keep having to deal with in the TOD.  Sorry that I keep harping on these points over and over, but it bugs me that we keep having to do the same thing over and over each week.  I have even had some folks private message me about it during the event which is itself very distracting while I am trying to do the final set-up and crowd control thing, so here we go again...please read and once again....thanks to all who stuck it out and put up with me and my rookie CM status.    :)

Ok fellas, want to bring up a couple of things real quick here.
Number 1: This is the 4th TOD we have run and we still have some guys that dont have their ducks in a row, so to speak.  Get your guys in your squad early. It takes up so much of the CM's time before the frame doing the crowd control thing. You all know the drill, so lets get this done early so that the CM's dont have to spend so much time questioning everyone about who they are flying with, etc. Ideally, I would like to just announce 2 mins to roll and then pull out the boot and start kicking guys who dont belong there out.

Number 2: If I ask you a question about who you are flying with, ya better answer up quickly. I have been very lenient with the eject command so far, but I see no reason to have to go through the same drill each and every week.

Number 3: Please make an effort to visit the SEA early in the week if we are having a new map so that you can get the map without having any problems that might cause you to miss a frame. Most of the time the maps are available early and it only takes a few minutes to pop in and get the download the day before the event. If the map you need isnt in there, look for me online and I will gladly change it over to the map you need. All ya gotta do is ask.

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: sling322 ]

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2001, 01:36:00 AM »
you did not live up to FDB standards with your actions as a CM.  Which, of course, is a GOOD thing!   :D

Ya did a great job, Sling!  <S>
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2001, 05:17:00 AM »
I know... it's weird...

There's lotsa FDB in the CM crew now and they're all as... erhm...  they're as solid as Sling. Go figure...

Offline GA

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.no
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2001, 05:44:00 AM »
Congrats on your first time as CM, you did good job <S> Sling322, and to all you CM and arround it who make this possible for us to have this events   ;)

The 332nd Vikings have ben attending on all 4 TOD`s this year so it have ben a blast  :)

Next TOD i wil probley be on for the European TOD   :D, since my local time is 05:00 when its 2300est   ;).
Maybe we attend on both TOD`s since wee all over the globe  ;).

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: GA ]

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: GA ]

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2001, 08:08:00 AM »
Good job Sling!

I had fun and that's the mark of success, right?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2001, 09:40:00 AM »
I'm certain that a lot of time and effort goes into producing these events. It is appreciated. Thanks, Sling S!
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2001, 10:17:00 AM »
I want to say that sling is the man.  WTG sling you set it all up smooth as silk.

Frame 2 "take 1" we will forget aabout as I still have no idea what happend...plus an ASSassin was set-up for that one :)

My thoughts:

1.  We did indeed have some issues with side blance.  Especially frame 2.  I will try and divide the "large" squads evenly between both sides next time since those large squads can definately have an impact on balaancing teams.

2.  The Axis in my opinion were at a disadvantage in this TOD.  The ony "targets" that the IJN side had were MOVING task groups.  It can be hard to score points with these relatively small moving targets RATHER than a port or airfield that won;t turn at the last minute.  The IJN had some tough luck in frame 1 and if not for a total fluke would havae sunk 2 or 3 CV's.

I missed frame 2 but it seems the IJN again penetrated the defenses and had a good shot at it.

Frame 3 FINALLY the IJN scored some hits on CV's and the frame should reflect a closer score.

Not to take anything away from the Allied.  The were very organized and played a smart TOD.

I thank you for your patience and realize some things could have be done better but that's all part of the process.

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2001, 01:16:00 PM »
It is a lot of weight off my shoulders and ghosths to now have two other CM's that are able to run a TOD. You all know we ran the first three which took a toll.  I can't count the number of e-mails that skernsk and I traded to get the mission objectives correct. Skernsk can now give objectives that will encourage engagement, not overwhelm a side, and make them doable. It is not easy to do, yet alone understand.  They both have a firm understanding of what it is all about and sling can set up arena as well as any CM.

<S> to you both!
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2001, 02:05:00 PM »
TOD this time around was fun, tense, and very well run. I've found the 3 TOD's tas has been in all different, but same immersment characteristics.

They have all given complete enjoyment.
Salute to the organizers, always well done.

Sax
13th Tas

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2001, 02:23:00 PM »
I think this was a very well run event.  Nice job!!!

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2001, 06:57:00 PM »
Basically what everyone else said. There aint many things that can consitantly keep me up until 5-6am but I wouldn't have missed these for anything. <S> Can't wait for the next one.

TTFN
snafu