Author Topic: Noob  (Read 10639 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Re: Noob
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2018, 11:01:08 AM »
The almost stationary vertical reversal is the hammerhead turn, also called a stall turn. It does not use torque to rotate like the bat turn.

Regardless of what you want to call it, a stationary target is an easy target.  A bat turn isn’t performed by engine torque. It is a break turn generating maximum turn rate.

You made my point perfectly.  Thanks.  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2018, 11:10:07 AM »
Nobody is recommending any kind of turn.

Max asked for definitions.

The Bat Turn in Aces High that Max asked about is not a break turn.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2018, 11:19:28 AM »
The Bat Turn in Aces High that Max asked about is not a break turn.

Therefore, confusion among new and experienced players. 

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2018, 11:27:26 AM »
It is what it is. More recently tailslide has been abused to refer to a torque maneuver. You can't expect gamers to use proper terminology, but go ahead and yell at TC for posting it.   :D

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »
I got to go fix dad's lunch and do his vitals and meds....

Puma mentioning that a "bat turn" is a break turn generating maximum turn rate, is very close to how I'm thinking of in my thoughts/theory of a bat turn

I'd like to continue to discuss the topic after I take care of Dad and go get our Groceries and by the pharmacy

If I posted anything wrong, I most definitely would hope to be corrected....the last thing I want is to post wrong information in this forum

~S~

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2018, 11:45:20 AM »
It is what it is. More recently tailslide has been abused to refer to a torque maneuver. You can't expect gamers to use proper terminology, but go ahead and yell at TC for posting it.   :D

For posting what? Did I miss something?

Are you referring to me posting "bat turn" or are you referring to "tailslide"..... You lost me
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2018, 11:51:31 AM »
There’s no yelling going on.  Deflecting the issue to TC doesn’t work.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2018, 02:49:41 PM »
The real irony of this semantics discussion is that it was sparked by the following question:

can you teach me how to do a reversal

He appears to be looking for BFM/ACM tips on how to perform a reversal, to maneuver from a defensive to an offensive position, not how to reverse, or change direction.

TC addressed both things, but I think came closest in his question about the Barrel Roll Defense.  Likewise Puma, as usual, was on point when suggesting starting with the basics, like Energy state.  TC and Puma exploring those lines they started on would probably be most helpful, if continuing a discussion about reversals.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 03:01:01 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2018, 04:00:26 PM »
There’s no yelling going on.  Deflecting the issue to TC doesn’t work.

What issue?

Actual origin.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:05:13 PM by FLS »

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2018, 05:06:03 PM »
Are you referring to me posting "bat turn" or are you referring to "tailslide"..... You lost me

He was saying they are similar, which Puma already corrected.

It would probably be best to avoid his semantics baiting and return the discussion to something helpful, like your mention of the BRD as one method of performing a reversal.
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2018, 05:11:57 PM »
It's not semantics, Puma is saying the Air Forces uses the term differently than the casual Ace's High player, who often misuses terms. I agree with him.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2018, 05:19:00 PM »
The real irony of this semantics discussion is that it was sparked by the following question:

No. It was Max asking for definitions.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2018, 05:23:24 PM »
What issue?

Actual origin.

,but go ahead and yell at TC for posting it.   :D

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2018, 05:29:03 PM »

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2018, 07:45:06 PM »
No. It was Max asking for definitions.

No, it was sparked by the question I quoted to which TC replied mentioning bat turns.  Well, that and your incorrect definition of what a bat turn is.
The bat turn is a stall turn

Any more semantics arguments you want to start on a Training Forum?

I think the question I quoted would be a more helpful topic of discussion, which is why I mentioned it.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:51:22 PM by Kingpin »