Author Topic: it's time we discuss the Yak3  (Read 4065 times)

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
Re: it's time we discuss the Yak3
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2018, 10:09:41 AM »
thank you for you're thoughts I didn't get flamed as bad as I thought I would.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2018, 10:45:16 AM »
the yak3 cruises at 300+ miles per hour.

Almost every fighter in AH does  :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2018, 01:42:18 PM »
thank you for you're thoughts I didn't get flamed as bad as I thought I would.

Now where did I put that naphtha?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2018, 01:44:47 PM »
Guns and fuel capacity are justification for 15+ ENY. The real question is why is the La-5FN 30 ENY?
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2018, 03:17:13 PM »
The P-47 was considered a rugged airplane in real life, but the AH version is like paper mache compared to the Yak-3.

I disagree, the jug is a very tough aircraft to bring down. Especially if you have 1 cannon and 2 mgs with limited ammo.

How much time do you spend in Yaks?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2018, 04:35:59 PM »
The real question is why is the La-5FN 30 ENY?

For perk farming, along with the 35 ENY P-47D-11  :devil
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2018, 04:56:00 PM »
For perk farming, along with the 35 ENY P-47D-11  :devil

I use the P-38j
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2018, 05:02:55 PM »
I disagree, the jug is a very tough aircraft to bring down. Especially if you have 1 cannon and 2 mgs with limited ammo.

How much time do you spend in Yaks?

My all time use of Yaks, not including an additional 119kills/30 deaths in the Yak-7b from the current tour:

Not a lot, but enough to form an opinion.

My experience fighting Yaks is subjective, just like yours is from flying them.  They are very difficult to beat and even harder to kill.

A Jug is not flimsy but doesn't hold up nearly as well as the Yak-3.  From what I've heard, most people agree. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2018, 08:47:40 PM »
My all time use of Yaks, not including an additional 119kills/30 deaths in the Yak-7b from the current tour:

Not a lot, but enough to form an opinion.

My experience fighting Yaks is subjective, just like yours is from flying them.  They are very difficult to beat and even harder to kill.

A Jug is not flimsy but doesn't hold up nearly as well as the Yak-3.  From what I've heard, most people agree.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove? Jugs take a huge amount of hits, as one of my favourite foes are the 56th guys.

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2018, 11:07:07 PM »
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove? Jugs take a huge amount of hits, as one of my favourite foes are the 56th guys.
I’d rather have one AH 20mm than 8 AH .50s.

And the Yak3 in particular takes a tremendous amount of punishment. As much or more than any 47 only it’s 1/2 the size and harder to hit.

And you’re a blast to fight as well.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2018, 12:23:20 AM »

And the Yak3 in particular takes a tremendous amount of punishment. As much or more than any 47 only it’s 1/2 the size and harder to hit.

And you’re a blast to fight as well.

Mako switched sides and tried to HO my Yak-7t today, was amusing seeing all the bits of him fluttering around the sky.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2018, 06:10:41 AM »

Not trying to prove anything.  You asked how much time I spent in Yaks.  And a good P-47 pilot does not make the plane any better. 

This guy seems to think Yaks are very tough. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2018, 06:12:13 AM »
Bottom line, yaks are tough. No amount of slow cooking technique will change that.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2018, 06:46:14 AM »

those 50 cals are like lazer beams from 800 out.  if I didn't like fighting so much I would surely fly a 47, and if I ever get my views in the f4s fixed I would fly that more for the ammo load and guns.

you come up on some one like you or rud3 or yucca in a 50 cal plane the standards for AH do not apply as yall have them dialed in and lethal. goos and Humboldt are in the same class, if you don't stay super close to yall to stay from in front of the nose of those planes you are sure to wind up with a few extra holes in the nogan.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2018, 08:02:14 AM »
The range of the Yak3 is a lot better than what people think. Just because it is modeled with unlimited WEP as 100% MIL power, does not mean that you have to cruise with the throttle firewalled all the time. Many other planes will not get very far if the fly on WEP all the time.

As for the durability, it seems like a dice roll. Sometimes they go puff at the first hit, and other times I lit them up with quad hispanos with the only visible effect is the gear falling off. Part of the problem is that the plane is so small that even the tight spread of 4 nose mounted cannons will cover almost the entire plane from 350--400 yards. If you fly a P47N the entire Yak3 can fit between your left and right guns. So the yak3 is very good at spreading damage, and it is just a matter of luck to get some hits registered on the same component.

In term of how it flies, it seems to suffer almost no added drag on the edge of stall. So even though the lowest controllable speed is quite high (100mph), it can still pull its nose way up and soar at near 4000 fpm - stall buzzer yelling and rudder at full deflection. Infact, this plane does not stall at all (except accelerated stalls) - its lowest speed is limited by the rudder ability to counter the torque, while most planes deep into the stall sink and fall out of the skies as they lose lift on the wings or that their engines cannot counter the drag (so they lose even more speed and then sink).

Some of the above features are not unique to the Yak3, and are common to all high powered small planes in AH (Spit 16 is quite close in low speed performance quirks, brewster in damage sponge oddities). It is just that the yak3 manages to get the maximum abuse of all these artifacts.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs