Author Topic: Cycling Arenas  (Read 801 times)

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
Cycling Arenas
« on: August 19, 2018, 02:04:23 PM »
It would be nice to be able to continue yesterdays battle where it "ended" in late evening. Alas, that's not possible because the night and day shifts ruined everything until next evening.

Create about 6 Main Arenas. Each has flight enabled for 4 hours of the day. Day and night cycles set in a way that the day lasts 4 hours (during which flight is enabled), and night lasts 20 hours.

That way, on the next evening (real time) there will be another day (online) to fight on.

The fixed boundaries between arena times its not so nice - when it was the time of the split MAs, numbers would probably have allowed for a double set overlapping by 2 hours. Today numbers are low, so one set with no overlap will have to do.

Maybe instead of 6 times 4 hours, 4 times 6 hours? There's probably some data on which players log in for how long - where to put the switching boundaries between arenas, to avoid affecting too many negatively (logging in for only half an hour would be badly hit if the arena switch occurs in the middle of those 30 minutes).

Depending on the typical numbers during active time of a given arena, it could put maps of appropriate size in rotation.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:14:18 PM by ccvi »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Cycling Arenas
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 02:24:57 PM »
An easier fix would be a total victory requirement when numbers are low.

What you just wrote left me without enough bread crumbs to get home.    :headscratch:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 04:36:30 PM »
Cycling arenas?  You that pissed off that GVs can be seen on radar you want to cycle into battle?   :noid

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 09:17:52 PM »
It would be nice to be able to continue yesterdays battle where it "ended" in late evening. Alas, that's not possible because the night and day shifts ruined everything until next evening.

Create about 6 Main Arenas. Each has flight enabled for 4 hours of the day. Day and night cycles set in a way that the day lasts 4 hours (during which flight is enabled), and night lasts 20 hours.

That way, on the next evening (real time) there will be another day (online) to fight on.

The fixed boundaries between arena times its not so nice - when it was the time of the split MAs, numbers would probably have allowed for a double set overlapping by 2 hours. Today numbers are low, so one set with no overlap will have to do.

Maybe instead of 6 times 4 hours, 4 times 6 hours? There's probably some data on which players log in for how long - where to put the switching boundaries between arenas, to avoid affecting too many negatively (logging in for only half an hour would be badly hit if the arena switch occurs in the middle of those 30 minutes).

Depending on the typical numbers during active time of a given arena, it could put maps of appropriate size in rotation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ :joystick:
how can you continue a battle if it ended.
and you want 6 more main arenas-when 1 can't even be filled.
is this one of those make it my way so I can play it my way wish's ?
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 09:21:52 PM »
Cycling arenas?  You that pissed off that GVs can be seen on radar you want to cycle into battle?   :noid

ahhh gv's cannot be see on radar-just there darbar-you still have to find the tank-not as easy as you think-from plane or another tank.

and I won't get into the currant radar situation which works for me and as it seems  a lot of others.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 02:56:04 AM »
how can you continue a battle if it ended.
and you want 6 more main arenas-when 1 can't even be filled.

The "battle" ist the war, and it continues the next day, when daylight starts and flight is enabled again in that arena.
Only 1 arena is filled at any one time, the others are hibernated, flight disabled, waiting for players to return the next day.

It provides a reason to log in the text day. Unlike for a random furball which can be anywhere anytime anyway, with no specific reason to play.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 06:51:33 AM »
I thought this was going to be duels on bicycles :banana:
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 07:51:13 AM »
The japanese used lots of bikes when they invaded the philippines
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 01:02:28 PM »

Better perk the Schwin mountain bikes...they're climb rate is waaaayyyy over-modeled!  :bolt:
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 01:43:01 PM »
The japanese used lots of bikes when they invaded the philippines

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4wsni4

Internal monologue: "Everytime I fly I get shot down.  But now I can save her with this magic bicycle."

Female voice over PA system: "Attention.  Corporal Rick Hunter was shot down this morning while attempting to fly a bicycle."

Robotech: The Macross Saga - Phantasm (Episode 17)

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:33:16 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)