Author Topic: self shadowing resolution bug  (Read 496 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
self shadowing resolution bug
« on: August 27, 2018, 04:14:57 PM »
HiTech,
As promised here is the best I could do to show the issue I described in a previous thread.

109 shadow sharp by Vinkman, on Flickr

109 Shadow half sharp half Blurry by Vinkman, on Flickr

109 Shadow all blurry by Vinkman, on Flickr

The above Three phots show the cockpit shadow on the Wing of a 109. As the plan rolls right the shadow moves further out on the wing. As it does  the image goes from very sharp on the inboard part of the wing (pic#1) to a point where it transitions to blurry at the wing mid point. Pic#2 it is half Blurry on the outboard part and half sharp on the inboard part. Pic#3 it is all blurry on the outboard part of the wing.
Who is John Galt?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: self shadowing resolution bug
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 08:27:37 AM »
I'll take a look if I can better optimize the cascading shadow splitting planes. How it works are 4 shadows are drawn, Each is used for a different distance. I.E. 0-x feet shadow 1, x to y feet shadow 2. Your simply seeing the first split.

HiTech

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Re: self shadowing resolution bug
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 12:19:25 PM »
I'll take a look if I can better optimize the cascading shadow splitting planes. How it works are 4 shadows are drawn, Each is used for a different distance. I.E. 0-x feet shadow 1, x to y feet shadow 2. Your simply seeing the first split.

HiTech

I knew you were working on this some time ago. I remember that in the older versions, and on my old rig, the self shadowing was a big FR hit. I think the new routine is better  but my new rig is so good, I think it could run higher resolution through all the splitting planes.

Currently running max sliders, all options on, at 4096 res and running v-synch pegged at 60 FPS. so I think I have some head room.  :salute
Who is John Galt?