Author Topic: Pilot icon  (Read 1526 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Pilot icon
« on: August 31, 2018, 11:51:16 AM »
I wish for a bailed pilot on the ground to have the same icon visibility as running troops.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Re: Pilot icon
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 12:26:53 PM »
+10

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 05:44:17 PM »
+ whatever is needed to get this approved
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 01:46:02 PM »
Ever considered this is Hitech's answer to giving a completely swamped and hoarded field one last desperate chance to survive in the face of the usual chicken counting that takes place when a capture is inches away? Kind of the hand of Hitech slap in the face for assuming a win until the win is reality. I've been there many times when 30 guys are slapping each other on the back ignoring the troops becasue the troops are all running in the door. Then nothing, and the GV hanger pops and the fighter hanger pops and everyone is feeling really stupid. Yeah if the pilot had an icon, heck in that case you might as well wish for Hitech to give you the capture if you can get x number of guys over the town at the same time just becasue. Man have we gotten lazy in the last 20 years.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 05:22:40 AM »
you might as well wish for Hitech to give you the capture if you can get x number of guys over the town at the same time just becasue. Man have we gotten lazy in the last 20 years.

Become? I think I wished for that many years ago. It would take away the need to carry troops (which is somewhat boring - hardly anyone really loves to do that), and it would make captures less binary.

The current (=traditonal, no changes since the beginning) system allows people who know what they are doing to flip a field 60s after the initial hit, and the rebuilding cycle system at the same time prevents that a horde of noobs can achieve the same in an hour. A capture criterion that require a continued effort (whatever effort may mean in this context) would both prevent sudden losses of fields, and allow captures that don't require everything to be executed with military precision.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 09:46:53 AM »
I have no idea why there are "stealth pilots".  But it seems like one of those arcane features that bewilder new players (like flags at vbases and ports that don't turn white). 

noob:  "Looked like my troops went in, why didn't we get the capture?"

vet:  "Must have been killed by an invisible pilot who can walk on water."

noob:  "WTF???"

:D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 10:00:01 AM »
One large bomb will take care of any pilots from a surprisingly large radius.

Also.....strafing the map room itself means nothing since a pilot can not get into the map room.

If you guys forgot to bring the maproom bomb, then you have failed "basetaking 101".

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 12:49:06 PM »
The .45 cab kill troops from a surprising range. And troops are pretty stupid, using no concealment, or at least finding cover when being shot at. Asking them to shoot back would probably too much. They are simply delivering some suitcases with papers to set up the new managing countries burocracy.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 12:28:17 PM »
I wish for a bailed pilot on the ground to have the same icon visibility as running troops.

C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 12:32:45 PM »
what Bustr said
been there plenty of times myself
(oh we got this) (its ours) they say this before troops are running.

another thing chaps my hide is letting troops run from across town instead of driving to the map room
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 02:02:57 PM »

+1
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 06:12:41 AM »
+1 but technically they already do.  Although the running troops are always moving so their icons stay visible.

Some time ago I bailed over a capped and deacked field and managed to kill a few planes that were trying to take off by standing at the end of a runway while enemy tanks and wirbles drove right by me seemingly unaware of my presence.   

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 10:04:24 AM »
In AH3 my chute always showed a canopy.    Actually two canopy with one fully up and another pointing backwards in a streamer.

It was pretty easy for people to see.

Anyone else have chute visible at all times on the ground?    Two chutes?