Author Topic: Bruce Willis stars in the Warthunder-meets-BenAfflecks-PearHarbor Chinese movie  (Read 6031 times)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
That's exactly why I think I'll like this one a lot, but I didn't like Pearl Harbor at all.   :aok

Also, this one looks to have way more air combat scenes.  :airplane:
Made you tear up? Its ok..the other big movie of that time Titanic made me laugh! Pearl Harbor...BROKE ME DOWN at the end! Just like Legends of The Fall....
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Wait, there was action scenes in Pearl Harbor?  I must've blinked when I watched it, because it look like a chick flick set in WW2 era. :noid

:aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Pearl Harbor..

I was glad I saw that movie.  I hadn't realized how close we were to losing the Battle of Pearl Harbor.  Thank goodness for those intrepid heroes who saved the day.

- oldman

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member

I was glad I saw that movie.  I hadn't realized how close we were to losing the Battle of Pearl Harbor.  Thank goodness for those intrepid heroes who saved the day.

- oldman
:rofl

The irony of Pearl Harbour was that the only truly realistic and inspirational part was Petty Officer Doris Miller's role (played by Cuba Gooding Jr.) in standing his ground during the attack. Everything else was typical Hollywood fluff.  And the fact it was directed by the ultimate moron maker of films, Mikey Bay.

Watching any of his films in my area usually results in plenty of face-palms on the film dialogue, crappy acting, and overdone action scenes.  I'd rather listen to Barry Manilow than watch a Bay film. Heck, I'd throw in Paul Anka into that mix too. Jebus.  :rolleyes:

And this Chinese film reeks of Bay-style theatrics.   :uhoh

I miss the old Clint Eastwood and John Wayne style films... :old:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 02:44:07 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
:rofl

The irony of Pearl Harbour was that the only truly realistic and inspirational part was Petty Officer Doris Miller's role (played by Cuba Gooding Jr.) in standing his ground during the attack. Everything else was typical Hollywood fluff.  And the fact it was directed by the ultimate moron maker of films, Mikey Bay.

Watching any of his films in my area usually results in plenty of face-palms on the film dialogue, crappy acting, and overdone action scenes.  I'd rather listen to Barry Manilow than watch a Bay film. Heck, I'd throw in Paul Anka into that mix too. Jebus.  :rolleyes:

And this Chinese film reeks of Bay-style theatrics.   :uhoh

I miss the old Clint Eastwood and John Wayne style films... :old:

Nah, needs 1000% more explosion to match a Mikey "Explosion" Bay movie.  Remember, when you watch a Mike Bay movie, you are going to get some movie in your explosion scenes.  The Chinese movie actually has some movie bits in it. :P
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
(Image removed from quote.)
Nope NOT that scene. The "You cant die! You know why? Your gonna be a daddy!"....."NO, YO  u, Are!"!   Followed by "Danny, you want to go for a ride?"  :cry
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member

And the fact it was directed by the ultimate moron maker of films, Mikey Bay.

I think it might be more accurate to say the ultimate maker of moron films. I mean, how many films have any of us made? (Point being I doubt he is a moron but probably the reverse, unfortunate that he works for Satan however.)
Pies not kicks.

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Many of those very old aviation war films look pretty cheesy by today's cinematic standards. Heck, take a look at episodes of "Baa, Baa, Blacksheep"; the only combat scenes that weren't completely silly were actual WWII combat footage. What makes a good movie/TV show is good writing, good acting, and believable story lines (part of good writing, actually). I'll probably go see this, and hope that it's better written/directed/acted that PH. For what it's worth, I enjoyed the way "Midway" managed to blend actual combat footage with actors filmed in static cockpits. Unfortunately, there's very little aerial footage from the Japanese air assault on China, on finding flying examples of most of the A/C involved is problematic (if not impossible). Give it a chance.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Many of those very old aviation war films look pretty cheesy by today's cinematic standards. Heck, take a look at episodes of "Baa, Baa, Blacksheep"; the only combat scenes that weren't completely silly were actual WWII combat footage. What makes a good movie/TV show is good writing, good acting, and believable story lines (part of good writing, actually). I'll probably go see this, and hope that it's better written/directed/acted that PH. For what it's worth, I enjoyed the way "Midway" managed to blend actual combat footage with actors filmed in static cockpits. Unfortunately, there's very little aerial footage from the Japanese air assault on China, on finding flying examples of most of the A/C involved is problematic (if not impossible). Give it a chance.

Black Sheep was actually quite good.  It had in-cockpit helmet cameras and the like, things that were unheard of in the 1970s.

I’ll take Black Sheep over CGI any day. 

Midway remains one of my all-time favorite films.   
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Black Sheep was actually quite good.  It had in-cockpit helmet cameras and the like, things that were unheard of in the 1970s.

I’ll take Black Sheep over CGI any day. 

Uh...V...? You do realize that this was like 40 years AGO :uhoh Needless to say...but there were A LOT MORE air worthy examples of WW2 aircraft 40 plus years ago :headscratch: Just in filming of 1 EPIC WW2 Movie..."Battle of Britain" they destroyed a HUGE CACHE of WW2 aircraft for cinematic reasons :bolt: We tend to forget stuff in our age group...SORRY TO BREAK IT TO YA :bhead Oh and 1 more thing...PLUS 1,000,000,000 on Black Sheep Squadron and Midway....even Final Countdown, over CGI! We grew up in THE GREAT DAYS for this movie genre :rock

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Uh...V...? You do realize that this was like 40 years AGO :uhoh Needless to say...but there were A LOT MORE air worthy examples of WW2 aircraft 40 plus years ago :headscratch: Just in filming of 1 EPIC WW2 Movie..."Battle of Britain" they destroyed a HUGE CACHE of WW2 aircraft for cinematic reasons :bolt: We tend to forget stuff in our age group...SORRY TO BREAK IT TO YA :bhead Oh and 1 more thing...PLUS 1,000,000,000 on Black Sheep Squadron and Midway....even Final Countdown, over CGI! We grew up in THE GREAT DAYS for this movie genre :rock

Not true actually.   There are far more warbirds in flying condition now than at any time in history. 

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Not true actually.   There are far more warbirds in flying condition now than at any time in history.
REALLY? I didnt know this. Guess I should get out more :bolt:

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
REALLY? I didnt know this. Guess I should get out more :bolt:

When I started in the warbird movement there were two B-17s and a dozen Mustangs flying.   Now you have a dozen 17s and 150+ Mustangs flying.   One B-24 and one B-29.  Now we have two of each.  No Lancs then.  We have two now. 

The diversity has varied but in terms of total numbers we have far more airframes flying now than then.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Black Sheep was actually quite good.

:aok  I'm with you on that!