Author Topic: Tank vs tank fighting - what is the secret ingredient?  (Read 564 times)

Offline Litjan

• Zinc Member
Tank vs tank fighting - what is the secret ingredient?
« on: September 23, 2018, 01:23:14 PM »
Hi guys, I need your help.

When I am on the road, all I can play is GVs because I run AH on my laptop with no controllers. So I have been exploring (playing AH on and off for 15 years) the GV side of the game some more. I am doing ok with running supplies, troops and shooting from AAA vehicles. What eludes me is the tank vs tank game.

Here is my problem: The enemy will ALWAYS see me first. He can find me, spot me first, shoot first and hit first. It doesn´t matter if I sit in a bush, shut down my engine, use max zoom, lower the graphic detail, let them move, try to flank them, whatever.

The result is always the same. I drive around, shut down to listen (what an idiotic gameplay mechanism, but hey...) while hidden in a bush or clump of trees aim in the direction the enemy tank is coming from, see nothing, blam, dead.

Is this normal? Is there a trick? Some sort of setting? Help!

Thanks, Litjan

Offline 715

• Silver Member
Re: Tank vs tank fighting - what is the secret ingredient?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 01:52:25 PM »
Trying to hide in trees is often a bad idea.  You might think you can't be seen because you can't see out. In fact the other guy can easily see your tank's hull or tracks below the lowest branches while your commanders head is in the foliage.  It's better to stop at the edge of a stand of trees with an open space ahead of you. That way you can see oncoming tanks as soon as they clear the trees on the opposite side of the clearing.

Also learn the technique called "hull down". This is the practice of placing your tank just short of a rise so that your turret can see and shoot over the ridge, but most of your tank is hidden by the ridge.

When you move around try to stay in low areas so the topography hides you from the enemy. Then pull slowly up to a higher point to set up a hull down position.

Try joining the AvA arena on tank night (Thursday nights at 8 PM eastern). People there will be happy to help you.

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 01:53:05 PM »
Yes.  Tanking is an art form. One that you will not learn overnight. If you would like, we can help you in AVA. Just pm me when you get on and I can take you in and help out. Remember that Thursday nights at 8 pm EST we have tank night   No bombers or aircraft. Just a lot of fun. We are here to help!!
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 02:45:21 AM »
And always try to hide your tank in shadow.

You know, many of the tanks' gun position 2 has an adjustable range wheel like the manned 88s and a couple have zoom.

Always fast tank action in the AvA on Thursday nights.  :police:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 09:47:06 AM »
Yep, like this guys have said.  Join us in the AvA on a Thursday and make it known that you want some tactics help.  It’s a great place to improve your skills.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 11:27:09 AM »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?