Author Topic: No Tracers is Retarded  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: No Tracers is Retarded
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 04:14:15 PM »
Buncha good replies. Just thought some internet accessible material was warranted:

Here's several examples of 8th AF gun attacks (air to air and air to ground) w/o tracers - some seem to show some sporadic/occasional tracers but that may be the 'end of belt' thing mentioned:

(Youtube link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=139&v=nzTCJI863N4)

I suspect the engine and gun noises were added for entertainment effect like the music. I wasn't aware of sound recordings used in the planes then (or now, for that matter). In the mid forties that would require extra equipment/weight.

(I would be interested in knowing more if anyone knows of actual WWII gun film footage shot with sound on film technology.)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 04:54:27 PM »
I know of several Luftwaffe pilots who purposely removed tracers from their belts - as per the instructions they gave to the ground crew chiefs.  So did several American aces.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 02:44:04 PM »
As a M249 SAW gunner in my beloved Marine Corps I only ever used tracers for training.

In combat, not so much.  Can lead the enemy to your location to drop ord on you. 

I am allergic to ord...

In the game, some have learned how to use no tracers so they can get in a good HO before you begin twisting and fall to your fiery death.  I laugh every time I fall victim to it.

:O

AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 04:25:59 PM »
As a M249 SAW gunner in my beloved Marine Corps I only ever used tracers for training.

In combat, not so much.  Can lead the enemy to your location to drop ord on you. 

I am allergic to ord...

In the game, some have learned how to use no tracers so they can get in a good HO before you begin twisting and fall to your fiery death.  I laugh every time I fall victim to it.

:O

I took my tracers out too when I carried the C9A2 (M249). Is it wrong that I felt joy switching that ROF lever in the front whenever I got pissed off?

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 07:46:51 PM »
I took my tracers out too when I carried the C9A2 (M249). Is it wrong that I felt joy switching that ROF lever in the front whenever I got pissed off?

Yes.  Clearly, people with your violent propensities are threats to society.

Especially in Canada.

- oldman

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 09:03:22 AM »

Yes.  Clearly, people with your violent propensities are threats to society.

Especially in Canada.

- oldman
...Sorry.

:banana: